No announcement yet.

GamesTM - Issue 90

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think reviews should be given scores out of 7. Numbers 3-7 would hold the current EDGE/GTM values for 5-10, 2 as below average and 1 as "complete and utter cack". Seriously, who knows what the difference is between a score of 1-3?

That or the random fruit solution.

Comment

Here's something simpler.

Reviews give out colours:
      Game gets White - among the best in the genre, a game worth buying the system for.
      Game gets Green - an excellent game (your 7 and 8s)
      Game gets Amber - average game, maybe worth checking out on the cheap or if your a fan of the genre or series.
      Game gets Red - Not worth buying, best to avoid.

Comment

Originally posted by KIT786 View Post
        Here's something simpler.

Reviews give out colours:
        Game gets White - among the best in the genre, a game worth buying the system for.
        Game gets Green - an excellent game (your 7 and 8s)
        Game gets Amber - average game, maybe worth checking out on the cheap or if your a fan of the genre or series.
        Game gets Red - Not worth buying, best to avoid.
        That's not a bad idea mate.

Comment

It's a nice idea but publishers would never accept it. And in the real world of magazines you need scores as much as you need publishers. Sad, but true.

Comment

I don't really understand the notion of replacing a scoring system with a different system. Reviews without scores are fair enough. But replacing a scale of ten with fruit, traffic lights, thumbs, whatever... They're all scoring systems in essence and therefore all as flawed as eachother.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaladron View Post
              They're all scoring systems in essence and therefore all as flawed as eachother.
              So if they're all flawed, what's the point in having them in the first place? A point i brought up a few posts ago.

Comment

Just because something is flawed does not mean it is without worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Barla Von View Post
                  So if they're all flawed, what's the point in having them in the first place? A point i brought up a few posts ago.
                  I don't think that scores are flawed, but other people on this forum clearly do. The point was that they're interchangeable. If you're going to dump a 10 point scale then there's no reason to replace it with anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaladron View Post
                    replacing a scale of ten with fruit
                    Just to give fruit its fair hearing, the idea with fruit is that it wouldn't be a defined scale. So a game that is hard to get into but is ultimately rewarding might be awarded one coconut (not sure if that's actually a fruit, its name would suggest a nut of some sort but go with it). Another game might get 4 oranges or 2 bunches of grapes and so on.

The only time a direct comparison could come is when two games get awarded the same type of fruit but, even then, it's not as simple as it seems. When apples are a bit pedestrian and too many could cause stomach upset, would a 10 apple game be seen as better than a 4 apple game?

I have no problem with numbers... just explaining the fruit thing is all. It's not the same as numbers.

Comment

I suggested "buy, rent, avoid" a long time ago somewhere... whether it has more meaning today I'm not sure.
                      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                        I suggested "buy, rent, avoid" a long time ago somewhere... whether it has more meaning today I'm not sure.
                        I prefer "buy, torrent, slag it off even though you haven't played it".

Comment

Working...
                        X