Eiji Aonuma Interviewed in The Guardian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eiji Aonuma Interviewed in The Guardian

Surprised to see the Guardian interview someone outside the usual suspects (Miyamoto, Molyneux). Couple of interesting tit-bits:

Nicky Woolf: The director of The Legend of Zelda has an apology for frustrated players – and glimpses of the franchise's new direction

Also, while we're on the subject of The Guardian and Nintendo, some musings on the timeless design of Mario:

Almost 30 years on from his arcade debut, the plucky Italian plumber's still going strong

He's been trundled around a lot recently, interviews with him are popping up everywhere (presumably it's last minute promotion for Spirit Tracks).

There's been a lot of talk from him about changing the fundamental dungeon>overworld>dungeon structure of zelda. Makes me wonder if the boundries between the two types of areas will be blurred a bit more. I could easily see Zelda having a stronger focus on the overworld.

As I've said before, you can only get excited about going into a dungeon and getting the boomerang so many times. The series needs the same kind of jump that LTTP>OOT had.

Comment

True. I imagine the next leap in the series would come when Nintendo finally starts developing Zelda in HD, with the same graphical grunt as Demon's Souls. Inevitably it'll still require use of a motion controller, though.

Comment

"I have an eight-year-old son myself at home, and quite recently he started playing The Phantom Hourglass for DS, because when the software first hit the market he was too young. When he started playing with the boat, I told him: 'In the next Zelda, you are going to be able to ride on the train.' He answered: 'OK, Dad, first boat, and then train? Surely next time, Link is going to fly in the sky ... '"

What a lovely story, the new Wii Zelda can't come soon enough.

Comment

Working...
        X