Feeling weird but not FPS sickness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeling weird but not FPS sickness

I've never suffered the famed FPS sickness, but then I've probably never played 10 hours of FPS in my life, so who knows. That includes getting quite far through Prey earlier this year. I had noticed myself feeling a little queasy at times with Prey, but only later on in the game, and that particular game is known for it with all the weird movement. Also my room was probably too dark which AIUI doesn't help.

Fast forward to now - came home tonight, and put on Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction to chill. Now I've been quite stressed out recently, and after a few minutes, I found myself feeling a bit sick, and stress levels rising! Not what I wanted. I completed the level.

This was odd to say the least - I couldn't work out if it was something about the movement, or just the gash colour schemes and graphics. Maybe I'm just a bit fragile at the moment, but I never have this problem with a game of FIFA or Rock Band (so unhardcore ).

Then again, it could be nothing to do with the game per se, maybe it's too much time staring at bright screens during work and play, maybe its worse when I'm tired, maybe when I want to relax I should read a book...

Just wanted to share.

i never get it on FPS, but resi5 got me so bad. its the mental camera jittering about i think

Comment

Ah, so at least one other person has felt ill whilst playing a non-FPS. Did it get you worse when you were tired or run-down, or was it always the same? I don't want to have to give up playing the game. Although I'm not enjoying it that much, it must be said, I "might as well complete it" as it's piss-easy so I might be able to.

Comment

I used to get motion sickness from the camera on Gears. Never had it on any other game though.

Comment

Unfortunately for me, I can't play Half Life 2 as straight away I feel car sick. Shame too, everyone seems to love it so i feel ripped off that I cannot play it. Never got sick from anything else though...

Comment

Motion sickness once on a Videogame, and that was playing Portal in one sitting when it came out on Steam. It's was a school night and I was tired which probably didn't help. Also when I sat through it again on 360 I felt fine.

If I do feel odd playing a game, I tend to take a break and come back.

Comment

I only get it on certain FPS games...its usually more me than the game..

Eg. Playing games for 25+ hours plus in a sitting with just tea and coffee and cigarette breaks...its when I get exhausted and continue to play...

I do get into games like when I was younger and find it difficult to pull myself away sometimes.

Comment

Has anyone tried over the counter motion sickness medication, to combat it whilst playing? Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by topper View Post
                  I've never suffered the famed FPS sickness, but then I've probably never played 10 hours of FPS in my life, so who knows. That includes getting quite far through Prey earlier this year. I had noticed myself feeling a little queasy at times with Prey, but only later on in the game, and that particular game is known for it with all the weird movement. Also my room was probably too dark which AIUI doesn't help.

Fast forward to now - came home tonight, and put on Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction to chill. Now I've been quite stressed out recently, and after a few minutes, I found myself feeling a bit sick, and stress levels rising! Not what I wanted. I completed the level.

This was odd to say the least - I couldn't work out if it was something about the movement, or just the gash colour schemes and graphics. Maybe I'm just a bit fragile at the moment, but I never have this problem with a game of FIFA or Rock Band (so unhardcore ).

Then again, it could be nothing to do with the game per se, maybe it's too much time staring at bright screens during work and play, maybe its worse when I'm tired, maybe when I want to relax I should read a book...

Just wanted to share.

if your suffering from stress or feeling fairly agitated, gaming probably isnt the best relaxation therapy (especially when you are tired). If your job involves the use of IT all and then you game in the evening, you are not really allowing much time for your brain to unwind. Perhaps your body is giving you some warning signs to slow down? Just be careful about RSI too....

Comment

Well never experienced this and can't for a second understand it. Its all just so odd how people can experience it when they aren't feeling any movement!

My how the brain works!

Comment

Black and White of the PC used to make someone I knew have motion sickness, that's a top down game too!x

Comment

That Baja off-road racing game on PS3 made me turn green

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                          if your suffering from stress or feeling fairly agitated, gaming probably isnt the best relaxation therapy (especially when you are tired). If your job involves the use of IT all and then you game in the evening, you are not really allowing much time for your brain to unwind. Perhaps your body is giving you some warning signs to slow down? Just be careful about RSI too....
                          Hmm, this could make a lot of sense. But so many great games left unplayed...

It's not that I even game that much, maybe 2-3 hours a week. But I do spend a lot of time with computers. I think I'll try to spend less time looking at screens apart from work (which is essential, obviously).

Then maybe I can factor in a little gaming as and when things calm down. It's not like I don't have other hobbies that I enjoy, it's just a shame that so much of modern life is based around technology. Only if I let it be so, I suppose...

Comment

Only game thats ever made me feel sick and unwell whilst playing was Turok on the N64. Not sure what it was about it, the gash colour scheme and blurry textures or just the movement/field of vision.

Never had a problem before or after that though, and I've played more FPS than I care to think of lol.

Don't really know what to suggest, just try and play in short bursts and don't play when you're overly tired.

Comment

Weirdly enough, the first time ever I experienced 'FPS motion sickness' was a few weeks back, playing Perfect Dark Zero. It only affected me for one session, though, and I was a bit hungover and had also taken a 30mg codeine phosphate tablet for back pain (they make things a bit spacy).

But apart from that, I never get it, and I'm glad because that time playing PDZ, I was wanting to gip good and proper(!), NOT a nice feeling at all, kind of like spending too much time on roundabouts when you're a kid!

Comment

Working...
                              X