Xbox Games Room (Avatar Arcade)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xbox Games Room (Avatar Arcade)

Looks like at CES they are going to announce this, sure there was a thread and looked for it but remember it creeping up from a survey with some pictures of Avatars playing old arcade games.

Been confirmed on Twitter this is at CES, games will be added to the arcade room on weekly basis, Im sure pricing will be announced soon.
    MS Conference is at around 2am.

Can only one person play a machine at a time then? If so lets just hope theres a button to make your Avatar bitch slap, becuase everyones going to be fighting to get on the games.

Comment

I would assume this isnt like HOME where you have to queue. Pretty sure in this online space it's yours and you have to invite people into it. Will launch like an app on dashboard, it's populated by other avatars but think thats just for show, real fun begins when you invite friends on.

"You can even invite friends into your custom arcade to check out your collection or visit their ?game room? to demo games and scope out additions to your collection."

From press release.

How Do I Play?
      An Xbox 360 console or Windows-based PC and an Internet connection are all you need* to access ?Game Room.? ?Game Room? and associated games can be found on your Xbox 360 in the Xbox LIVE Games Marketplace or in the Games for Windows ? LIVE client on your Windows-based PC.

How Much Does It Cost?
      It is free to download ?Game Room,? which you can then populate with classic arcade games available for individual purchase. Buy games once and play on both an Xbox 360 system and a Windows-based PC for 400 Microsoft Points. Or, to purchase a game for only one platform, each individual Xbox 360 or Windows-based PC title is 240 Microsoft Points. You also have the option to pay to play a single game, just like dropping two quarters in the slot in the old arcades, for 40 Microsoft Points. Visit your friends? ?game rooms? and try their games free before you buy.

?Game Room? Specifications
      ? One or Two players
      ? HDTV 1080p
      ? In-game Dolby Digital
      ? Voice chat
      ? Avatar support
      ? Online multiplayer (one or two players)*
      ? Cross-platform leader boards
      ? Cross-platform Achievements
      * Xbox LIVE Gold Membership required for online multiplayer on Xbox 360. Xbox LIVE requires broadband access.

COUGH
      The information contained in this fact sheet relates to a pre-release product that may be substantially modified before its first commercial release. Accordingly, the information may not accurately describe or reflect the product when it is first commercially released. This fact sheet is provided for informational purposes only, and Microsoft Corp. makes no warranties, expressed or implied, with regard to the fact sheet or the information contained in it.

Bit pricey, reckon I will be in there though when Capcom/Sega/Namco start getting some 90's arcades on there. Good idea seperating the service, now we will have a proper Retro Arcade Zone for old ports and XBLA/XBLIG cam be kept for newer original content or proper HD remakes.

Comment

Pricey? Assuming they function effectively like XBL Arcade games, then 240 points is better than the 400 they'd charged for Pac-Man, Frogger etc already.

Comment

Some of the games dropped might return then (I don't think you can download Gyruss, Tempest, Time Pilot etc anymore?). At least you can play on your friend's machines for free... by the sounds of it.
          Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

If, as it seems, it means folk can buy cheaper games, and possibly play friends' games for free, then I could probably just about tolerate that silly looking virtual arcade where my virtual 'me' can hang out with his virtual buddies. But, really, I hate anything to do with avatars... I mean I already have times where I think of gaming as a shallow and wasteful use of my time and **** like that really doesn't help...

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
              If, as it seems, it means folk can buy cheaper games, and possibly play friends' games for free, then I could probably just about tolerate that silly looking virtual arcade where my virtual 'me' can hang out with his virtual buddies'. But, God, I hate anything to do with avatars... I already have times where I think of gaming is a shallow and wasteful use of time, and **** like that really doesn't help...
              Nah, it'll cost 40MSP per play on a friends machine.

It would be frikkin amazing if that 40MSP went to the friend though

Comment

Haha, yeah. Still, 240 points is better than paying 400.

Comment

I think you can pay 40 points to play a game once in the marketplace if you want to try it (and not buy it), why else would this line be in the press release?

"Visit your friends’ “game rooms” and try their games free before you buy."
                  Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Nice to see this will be cross platform too. I think this could actually be quite fun.

Comment

Little walk around video.

Comment

I'm quite looking forward to this. Not the avatar virtual arcade aspect, but the fact that there'll be more retro stuff coming to my 360 at semi-reasonable prices. Yar's Revenge! Hopefully they'll extend it to more systems than the initial three of Intellivision/Atari/arcade.

Comment

I can't help feeling there's an ever increasing amount pointless additions to X-Box Live, the whole avatar arcades don't interest me at all. I do like the idea of being able to cheaply purchase old arcade games, though I'd prefer to just do it from a menu in the way you buy other games. I'm wondering if they're trying to come up with a way of making their service somehow more appealing than what you get with Mame, but I'm not sure this it is!

On Eurogamer they mentioned MS are talking about 1000 games over the next 3 years, so if we get some of my favourites like Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands or Out Run I'd be interested, ESPECIALLY if they have online high score boards.

Am I being ambitious in hoping we could perhaps see anything as recent as Cave games?

Comment

Surprised that there isnt more discussion about this service on this forum (unless theres another thread im missing). Anyway I bought my first game for this after being pretty underwhelmed when I downloaded Games Room when it first came out. I have to admit I love the whole concept of a little virtual arcade of your own and its nice to see the old Atari games and some really obscure Konami titles on XBLA at pretty reasonable prices. But so far the games that are on there are a bit too basic and I would love to see some more late 80s games from japanese developers like Capcom, Namco and of course Sega. I hope that the 1000 games figure over 3 years is correct and they release some higher profile games on it soon before everyone loses interest.

Anyway if there are people on here that are using the service and have some games please add me (Babylon UK) and we can start sending out challenges to each other. Perhaps we should list everyone that has game room games in this thread to set up some challenges and high scores. At the moment Ive only got centipede but I will be buying a few more titles in the next week or so.

Any recommendations?

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost View Post
                              Surprised that there isnt more discussion about this service on this forum (unless theres another thread im missing). Anyway I bought my first game for this after being pretty underwhelmed when I downloaded Games Room when it first came out. I have to admit I love the whole concept of a little virtual arcade of your own and its nice to see the old Atari games and some really obscure Konami titles on XBLA at pretty reasonable prices. But so far the games that are on there are a bit too basic and I would love to see some more late 80s games from japanese developers like Capcom, Namco and of course Sega. I hope that the 1000 games figure over 3 years is correct and they release some higher profile games on it soon before everyone loses interest.

Anyway if there are people on here that are using the service and have some games please add me (Babylon UK) and we can start sending out challenges to each other. Perhaps we should list everyone that has game room games in this thread to set up some challenges and high scores. At the moment Ive only got centipede but I will be buying a few more titles in the next week or so.

Any recommendations?
                              There's a thread here:

I quite like the service personally but it seems it's a bit too ancient for a lot of people.

Comment

Working...
                              X