Final Fantasy VIII - Squall's Dead Theory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final Fantasy VIII - Squall's Dead Theory

"Squall's Dead" discusses the possibility of Final Fantasy VIII's storyline covertly revolving around the death of its main character early on, a theory which - so far - appears to be undiscussed on the internets. We will attempt to explain the basis of the theory, and argue why it may be true. At the end of the article we concede that there is no real "proof", merely suggestions and hints. However, we hope this analysis will add meaning to the game for all players - perhaps refreshing its value over a decade since the game's release - and inspire a discussion as it did between us.
    An analysis discussing the possibility that Final Fantasy VIII contains a 'hidden story' in which Squall dies and the rest of the game is a dream.

Interesting read, take a look if alot of the game didn't make sense to you, this might just make the plot work

That was a lot more interesting than I expected and the shot of Squalls face with no face was freaky.
    Would love to see the developers confirm this.

Comment

That shot is taken from the game when it goes a bit crazy, nice read and good theory. Always wondered how squall recovered from ice death, then again nothing a phoenix down can't sort out.

Comment

Is Rinoa Ultimecia?

RPGamer has been running for over twenty years, providing news, reviews, and editorial content focused on role-playing video games.

Comment

I read this the other day and whilst it was an entertaining enough read, I still don't get where Laguna would fit into this whole idea. Why would Squall dream about Laguna flashbacks?

The entire thing reminded me of the episode of The Simpsons where a native american shows him a vision of his future and he asks at the end why it also showed him unrelated visions of Homer searching for buried gold.

The author's conclusion sums it all up really.

I choose to believe that this is how the game was intended to be understood because, to me, the game makes no sense otherwise.
          Ladies and Gentleman, we give you Final Fantasy VIII.
          Last edited by C'; 19-02-2010, 19:00.

Comment

/brain asplode

I love conspiracy theories.

Comment

I always got the impression

Squall died following the fight with Ultimecia. There's far more weight to support a claim like that rather than him being stabbed through the chest with ice, he could have very easily survived had it not gone through the heart, and even if he did die, he'd have been brought back for the information he was tortured for (or lack of)

During the first part of the end cutscene,

he collapses, presumably through exhaustion. He's not shown again until very briefly at the end of the staff credits, and it's never made clear either way that he's either alive in that particular moment, or just a figment of Rinoa's imagination

Comment

Comment

Nah i think the guy who wrote that article on Squall being dead is just waaaaaaaaaaaay overinterpreting the story and is too dumb to realise that more unrealistic things have happened than Squall living after the ice sheath went through him.

Did it ever occur to him that on regular occasions an animal or any of the other creatures in the game could be smashed into by an undead demon train travelling at over 100mph which also could poison them on impact (as if the impact of a train travelling at probably over 100mph wasn't fatal enough) aswel as putting them to sleep and knocking there vitality to 0 and yet it was nothing that an antidote and a round of Cura couldn't solve?

I could also point to countless other games aswel like Tomb Raider for example which i am currently playing (the ps1 version). Lara Croft can get hit by fireballs from flying red mummies aswel as get shot multiple times from close range by a big black dude with a shotgun and yet can recover perfectly by using a small medical kit on herself. At the end of the day i think all videogames feel like dreams to a certain extent and videogames are always going to be unrealistic in certain ways and most of the time in alot of ways but the fun comes from suspending our beliefs and enjoying videogames for being able to take us away from reality.

Comment

THe end of FFVIII is probably my favourite, for all the weirdy 2001-type ambiguousness. I don't buy that he was dead before that though, I think this person is getting confused with the plot of FFX.

Comment

Working...
                    X