X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's also not a squirrel on the cover anyway but a prairie dog, lol fail x2

Comment

The latest video game news, reviews and features from the team at Edge Magazine. Subscribe here today.

A month earlier than I expected. I can't see it not getting a 2010 release though. Missing xmas risks them being overtaken by the PSP2

Comment

You're all buffoons!

It is a squirrel, but he's dressed like a prairie dog - now that's wacky!

Besides, you're just looking at the 2D cover and not the 12D game in motion - it all makes sense then...

Take it up with Nintendo if you don't think their cover does the game justice.

I think you're all reading a bit too much into something I knocked up in 5 minutes!

Comment

Nintendo say the 3D can be turned off which is as good as confirmation that they'll be using parallax barrier tech for it.

Also unsuprisingly said it'll feature more advanced anti-piracy measures.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            You're all buffoons!

It is a squirrel, but he's dressed like a prairie dog - now that's wacky!

Besides, you're just looking at the 2D cover and not the 12D game in motion - it all makes sense then...

Take it up with Nintendo if you don't think their cover does the game justice.

I think you're all reading a bit too much into something I knocked up in 5 minutes!
            All wrong - its a rat in a cute suit!

Comment

I've been thinking about how the 2D mode would work. Initially I thought it would just be switching off the parallax barrier but that would produce an odd serrated image.

Parallax barrier tech relies on showing 2 images side by side (alternating between images every horizontal pixel). Would they increase the effective horizontal resolution of the screen? That would likely result in lower frame rates as you'd need to render everything with twice as many pixels (whereas in 3D mode they can take some shortcuts for distant objects that would appear identical to both eyes). Would they use rectangular pixels? That could produce weird, ugly results (the 3D mode would have square pixels.

Of course the simple solution would be to upscale it but that would produce an odd blur if only done in a single direction.

Comment

I always imagined they would be using rectangular pixels in 3D mode, then in 2D , mode those rectangular pixels are just doubled horizontally so that eye eye sees the same thing.

Just like this infact

Because there is a big lenticular lens spread across the screen you wouldn't be able to just turn it off (without physically removing it)
                Last edited by EvilBoris; 10-05-2010, 09:00. Reason: added link

Comment

Frankly i don't give a dam how this 3D sorcery works, just as long as Nintendo deliver the goods on the games front.

Just imagine the head ****ery nintendo could do with zelda puzzles with it

Comment

Nintendo appears to be testing a new DS - very likely the 3DS - with the US Federal Communications Commission. Images o…

Now this is interesting. Looks almost certain to be the dev kit.

Things of note: uneven sized screens.

4:3 touchscreen on the bottom, widescreen 3D on the top? Makes sense given the stylus would obscure 3D and it allows room for the controls.

Would make the console have a larger 3D screen but still remain around the size of a DSi.

Anyone able to recognise the card slot? Would make it possible to accurately measure the screen sizes.

New codename: CTR (center? counter?). Given the Nitro, Dolphin, ultra 64, I wouldn't expect it to stick.

Comment

As the top screen is going to be 3D, probably, maybe they just developed the devkit with the correct screen on top, and a generic DS touchscreen on the bottom, as its going to be centred around the top screen anyway. I highly doubt it'll have two different sized screens.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
                        Things of note: uneven sized screens.

4:3 touchscreen on the bottom, widescreen 3D on the top?
                        Unless both screens are the same size, but the screen at the top is much closer to us than the one at the bottom...3D indeed.

Comment

Conclusions from my measurements:

If that is a DS slot at the bottom. the 4:3 bottom screen is 3.25". This makes the 3D screen approx 3.6"-3.7" (may be a bit less if there's a bezel that doesn't show up on the pic)

Comment

Looks uncomfortable to hold. At least we now know the location o the 'module'. All good consoles need a module so it's nice to see the 3DS will follow tradition and have a module of its own.
                            Last edited by Brad; 17-05-2010, 12:04.

Comment

Need to work on the case design too. Not a fan of the minimalistic approach.

*edit*

White box seems to be an analogue nub. Only 1. Lefties get shafted.

To the right, looks a lot like the DS's button layout. dpad, shoulder, start + select, abxy.

There are also 5 more buttons scattered around (2 are likely volume) and a switch.
                              Last edited by abigsmurf; 17-05-2010, 12:21.

Comment

Seems now pretty much everywhere thinks that the 3DS/CTR will not be using Tegra 2 but a (likely heavily customised) SoaC solution from an unnamed Japanese company.

Sharp would be an 'obvious' choice. They do lots of nice System on a chip solutions and there's a good chance they're already providing the screen. If it is a Sharp solution, Power VR + ARM 8/9 Cortex would be a likely option (would tie up with the portable Gamecube rumours) . However, Nintendo aren't likely to make something off the shelf.

Comment

Working...
                                X