Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If i remember rightly, the Nintendo DS devkit "Nitro" had the letter NTR printed on it somewhere, can't remember.

So yeah, CTR is short for something which definitely won't stick but we'll all get used to calling it that until they change it and results in outrage!

Dolphin, Revolution etc

Comment

What's all this bobbins that it "has processing capabilities that far exceed the Nintendo Wii and bring the device with abilities that are close to HD consoles such as PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360".

Hyperbole I'm sure. I mean what's the point of rendering that much information on such a small screen anyway?

Comment

Complete rubbish. Processing similar to those consoles at <2W? Not a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Number45 View Post
          What's all this bobbins that it "has processing capabilities that far exceed the Nintendo Wii and bring the device with abilities that are close to HD consoles such as PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360".

Hyperbole I'm sure. I mean what's the point of rendering that much information on such a small screen anyway?
          I would imagine rendering 3D would require a lot of processing power, but I very highly doubt that it will be close to a 360 or PS3 for a small device. The cost of a micro processor that would fit in a handheld device with similar capabilities to current consoles would cost an arm and a leg to the customer; and that aint what Nintendo are about. They would also have to fit a much larger battery in the device otherwise the thing will drain instantly.

Comment

Nintendo handhelds have typically been 1.5 generations behind in terms of graphics power. A more feature rich Gamecube seems a reasonable estimate.

Anyhow, NeogGAF have done a bingo card of 3DS news for E3:

Here's my predictions:

Comment

Kotaku is indulging in some photoshop shenanigans

tbh, I'll be really disappointed if the 3D capabilities are restricted to the top screen.

That will create loads of restrictions for designers... no epic 3D panoramas drawn across both screens... no 3D Ouenden/Trauma Centre/Phantom Hourglass equivalents. (Presuming touch capabilities remain exclusive to the bottom screen, which I think they will)
              Last edited by Tig; 11-06-2010, 17:37.

Comment

God, that's hideous. I hope it's nothing like that all. It's uglier than the DSFat

Comment

For some reason i have a feeling its the real deal (as in close to how it will look) Was hoping for something a bit diffrent, but i guess we will have to wait and see. Not to long to go now.

Comment

I would be utterly amazed if they made it so close to the DSxyz. It's not in their best interests to make people see it as a DSi Alpha plus gold (especially since the DS is starting to stagnate).

Non-uniform screen sizes makes a lot of sense and the dev board certainly hints at it.

It's not going to be 3D on both screens because your hand will be covering the bottom one, ruining the effect. It's not worth the CPU and financial hit.

Comment

Sure hope there's an analog nipple/thumbstick on that thing. Been playing Super Mario 64 DS again recently, and realised how awkward it is to control making-do with the d-pad or touchscreen.

Comment

I thought it was common knowledge only the top screen would be 3D - there was a dev board with the screens on it a while back.

Comment

That mock is forgetting one important thing:

The 3D analogue stick/nub!

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
                            It's not going to be 3D on both screens because your hand will be covering the bottom one, ruining the effect.
                            I've seen this mentioned around, but I'm not convinced.

Surely the 3D effect would only be ruined during "pop out" moments, when objects appear to be floating above the screen? That sort of effect is already ruined by clipping with the screen boundary, so most games will be avoiding it anyway, other than for things like overlays, HUDs and gimmick moments.

Depth is far more important- and I don't think putting a stylus in front would ruin it. Probably.

Anyways, assuming the rumours are true - I predict far less touchscreen games made for the 3DS. No developer will want to make a touch-based game if it means they'll be sacrificing higher resolutions, widescreen aspect ratio and the 3D gimmick.

Plus if we get the rumoured analogue stick, then...
                            Well, the 3DS may as well mark Nintendo's grand return to traditional control.

actually that don't sound too bad
                            Last edited by Tig; 11-06-2010, 22:15.

Comment

questionable image from neogaf:

Those buttons in particular look shopped and they're trying too hard to make it look like a leak.

Comment

It also looks suspiciously similar to the mockup published by Kotaku yesterday, where the two screens have different proportions from those seen in the supposed developer board.

Comment

Working...
                                X