Mahjong games on PS3 - anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mahjong games on PS3 - anyone?

After learning and realising that I really liked mahjong, thanks to Yakuza 2, I've been thinking about getting a dedicated mahjong game on PS3, to then play with a USB camera and freak Japanese people out.

But generally, I quite like the game and would like to play it against human players near my level - online is the only way to go, and there seem to be several available for the PS3.

The versions that I know of:
    * Mahjong Kakutou Club: Zenkoku Taisenban (Mahjong Fight Club)

*Mahjong Taikai IV

* Mahjong World Janline-R Series

* SIMPLE SERIES: The Mahjong: Tsuushin Taikyoku Kinoudzuke (NOT part of the PS1 Simple Series collection)

The third in that list, Mahjong World, is available on PSN for a steal at only 2000 YEN, meaning no need to import it. It seems to be one of those commercial games that were then made available online. The Simple Series one is only 500 Yen, but it might be crap...

Thing is, I don't want to make the wrong purchase. I want to buy just one mahjong game, and know that it's the best.

QUESTIONS
    1) Has anyone played any of the above?

2) Can anyone comment on things like
    *easy user interface,
    *ease of going online (do I need to fill in lengthy registration forms or anything?) and, most importantly,
    *number of players who play online? I tried Gunstar Heroes today and the lobby was dead.
    Last edited by Sketcz; 09-04-2010, 15:43.

The only game like this I've played is Funtown MahJongg on the 360. Which is pretty bare bones, and you can only get a game when it's evening in Japan cause no bugger else plays it anymore.

Comment

Janline-R is the most "flashy" from what I can gather. There is DLC too, so it must be quite popular.

Somebody should bring out a Kabaddi game IMO.
      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Yes, the vids for Janline-R show lots of avatar creation gubbins. In contrast, the screens I've seen for Mahjong Kakutou Club give it a more refined, serious look.

If I don't get many replies, I might take a gamble and get the Simple Series one for 500 Yen. Hopefully it has online support.

If so, do any NTSCers want to learn the game and have a go? I doubt the servers will be very busy.

Comment

Sketcz heres a guide a guy on gameFAQ, he says Mahjong Taikai IV has online and is easiest to learn , but he enjoys Mahjong Kakutou Club: Zenkoku Taisenban more but it may be online only in japan, hope this helps
          http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps3/file/935678/58192 Mahjong Kakutou Club: Zenkoku Taisenban

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps3/file/930074/57143 Mahjong Taikai IV
          Last edited by MisterBubbles; 09-04-2010, 16:57.

Comment

I'd be up for learning how to play. LMK which game you decide to get.
            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
              Somebody should bring out a Kabaddi game IMO.
              Ace, used to watch it on C4, who was that guy that was the equivalent of Beckham i.e. Kabaddi superstar.

I might be interested in joining you but the cheapest I've seen one is £25.
              Last edited by Anpanman; 09-04-2010, 17:18.

Comment

Thanks for the info MisterBubbles!

I bought Simple Series 500 Mahjong in the end, and it does have online support, though the game itself is pretty rudimentary.

I had a few online games this morning, and it's very exciting. When you are one piece away from winning, and if you haven't revealed your hand to anyone by picking up an opponents piece, you can call RIICHIE. This is basically telling everyone that you're nearly done, which frightens them and acts as a score multiplier.

This is hella exciting, because you end up sitting on the edge of your seat for that one tile which will put you above everyone else. Also, if you have discarded a piece which would have let you win when in RIICHIE, you cannot pick that piece up from an opponent's discard pile. Meaning if you need a 7 bamboo for example, and there's one in your discard pile, you have to wait and pray it turns up through picking up from the deck.

This means opponents will scan your discard pile and make their discard choices based on this, because if they discard a piece that lets you win, all your winnings come from them, so you could steal like their entire pile if you've got a lot of score combinations.

BUT!

If you're winning by 3 of a kind, you can pick up from anyone, but if your winning by a straight (1,2,3), then you can only pick up from the guy on your left. Or you can win by picking up from the deck.

Once, I declared RIICHIE early, when my discard pile was small, so my opponents had no idea of what I didn't need, and as a result the guy to my left always took REALLY long turns trying to work out what to discard in case I took his tile and robbed him of points.

The Simple Series version also keeps track of your online ranking, and after a few wins this morning I'd gone up in rank from lvl 10 to 9.

Unfortunately it's useless unless you've got a working knowledge of the game, since it doesn't include any kind of score charts like Yakuza 2. I guess you'd be fine if you printed them out though?

If you've got 500 Yen to waste and already know Mahjong a bit, it's not a bad way to play a few games. But a beginner would probably feel lost.

Comment

Working...
                X