Playstation Plus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GMass View Post
    Joined up...don't own LBP or Wipeout so quite happy to shell out.

Snap!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
      Though of course 7 gig is larger than the space available on a 360 DVD....

What a cynical world we live in
      7gb is exactly what a 360 DVD contains. 2 gigs are reserved for protection or so.

Comment

It's 6.4gig, or 6.8? Less that seven. Because 2 gigs reserved for protection is really helping them combat piracy

BR for the PS3 is a good thing, especially as time goes on and games get bigger. Plus it's really helped get BR into homes and standalone players cost a lot less than they would otherwise. I get tired when people are cynical of Sony's decision to include a BR drive. Fancy wanting to make a console that lets you have more content if the dev choose to use that space.

Comment

The 'cynical' comments are just a reaction to Sony's (and studios) point that many of its games wouldn't be possible without Blu-Ray. When you now see those games released for download at a fraction of the size and very close to DVD size, it appears that that claim was (in some cases at least) just PR bluster.

Comment

Originally posted by Number45 View Post
            Switch on from standby,
            Is it a full on status with the CPU and fans working at full regime and active A/V outpu or is it some sort of "semi-on" status with the CPU working at a low regime just to feed the HDD with downloaded data?

Comment

It switches on, does it's thing, then switches off again. Same as with a timed PlayTV recording.

PS3 only has on or off. No low regimes etc.
              Last edited by J0e Musashi; 04-07-2010, 17:20.
              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Set mine to come on at 2am... Switched it off before I went to bed, but when I got up at 6am, it was whirring away. No idea what it was doing as I haven't had chance to check yet.

Comment

Originally posted by hoolak View Post
                  I hope so. In a HAL9000 voice. "Dave........I've downloaded the latest firmware, Dave."

Me: "Thanks, PS3. Please load Socom."

HAL: "I'm afraid I cannot do that, Dave..."
                  It's not quite that, but at least it tells you:

Of course I already own MNR. Hopefully they'll expand the options in future.

Comment

Just switched it on, and thats what it download for me too. Even though I had already downloaded MNR demo, and have the full version of Heavy Rain. Still, nice that it installs them!

Comment

Off topic but the arguement for blu-ray for games is simple.

Look at the piracy issues, PS3 has none. Guess blu-ray was worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jebus View Post
                        Off topic but the arguement for blu-ray for games is simple.

Look at the piracy issues, PS3 has none. Guess blu-ray was worth it.
                        Exactly, also certain games like Uncharted 2 take advantage of the format, the amount of assets in that game are incredible, you'd need multiple DVD's and an install otherwise.

Comment

not all good news, read speed is slow so mandatory/partial installs are common. I didn't really enjoy re-installing chapters in MGS4 either.

Comment

That was poor development though (lol 'poor')

Uncharted 2 was a technically superior game and used the HDD like a cache, no install needed. Naughty dog simply had better knowledge of how to use the PS3 hardware than konami did (at the time).

Comment

Shouldn't really be an issue now when you can get games such as Uncharted 2 and now Killzone 3 streaming the entire game without loading. All hardware has it's limitations and studios need to work with those limitations rather than against them, blu ray speed should not be an issue now.

Comment

I remember people talking bull**** about the BR speed. Sure, the data transfer rate isn't up to the 360's DVD, but some people just could not get their head around the fact that 2x BR is not 6 time slower that 12x DVD LOL. Only on the internet

I'm still unsure if I'm going to sign up. I would but I already have Wipeout and LBP. If you got the WO map pack I would. Tempted so I can grab the KZ2 pack, will have to see it's usual price to see if it's worth it for me.

I'll definitely join when there's a title I want.

Comment

Working...
                                X