No announcement yet.

Arcades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well arcade club has security so it keeps the usual trash out another reason why it’s great. The problem with regular arcades you find the typical chav scum hanging out there and not playing just trying to rob people. Also unlike Blackpool they also keep the pissheads out too, used to be a pain going in arcades in Blackpool as you’d get harassed by drunk groups of people on stag/hen do’s

Comment

Security's good, not sure how they'd police such overwhelming numbers though in Blackpool

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
        I take it the existing ones are doing well for themselves, it always sounded more like an enthusiasts thing thanks to the limited interest modern gamers have in arcades. You visit places where an arcarde in the traditional sense exists and they rarely seem that busy. To be honest, the idea of one in Blackpool sounds nice but given the businesses there and what it's like it feels hard to imagine that the machines etc won't get trashed in quick order.
        The one in Leed's was packed when i went, (Jan 2020) and due to the amount of machines their was always something to play on. bottom floor seemd to be newer stuff second floor was full on retro and then above that they had a few rooms for Fortnite and Minecraft on banks of pc's as well as a bank of VR games and some big screen Fifa torney's going on.

They have a team of engineers fixing machines too you have to remember most of these machines are meant to stand up to a lot of abuse (while i was there the monster hunter piggy racing game broke and they got it working again.) Like i said above though it attracts a different clientele to what you get in modern seaside arcades. You can get a Pint of brewdog and play some really fun old lightgun shooters and they have kid free evenings not that it was overrun with kids when we went.

The price tag to get in being £15 a person for all you can play keeps out the scrubs too and it seem to be a viable model elsewhere in the country, so im not sure why it wouldn't work in a UK leisure destination.
        Last edited by Lebowski; 07-06-2021, 11:34.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
          (while i was their the monster hunter piggy racing game broke and they got it working again.)
          I had to reread that sentence a couple of times!

Comment

The only time I have ever seen arcade club empty is the first 10 mins of it been open and me at the front doors been first one in. In about 30 mins of opening though it’s pretty much bustling with people. It’s obscene good value for what you get, just waiting for Leeds one to expand as Andy said he actually has the lease for the building connected on the right he did mention filling that part with pinball and expanding the arcade out.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
              I had to reread that sentence a couple of times!

lol i didnt make it up honest

and heres someone playing it at arcade club in leeds

Last edited by Lebowski; 07-06-2021, 11:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                lol i didnt make it up honest
                Heh, it makes a lot more sense with a bit of context, but it's now a different kind of WTF.

Comment

When you play that game it forces you to move it so it looks like you are shagging the damn pig. They evilly had it near the front doors in Leeds so everyone gets to see you go for it as you play.

Comment

I'd definitely give it a punt, NamcoStation is my sole area for trying stuff now when something new pops in occassionally, little is there though especially older stuff.

Comment

It's been 8 years since my last venture into Monster Hunter (MH3U). I need to start looking at what I want to play two years from now.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                        I knew someone who tried to run a business in Blackpool in the 90s, and he said that he pulled out early because he had organised crime knocking on the door when he started doing too well. I hope Arcade Club is okay if they genuinely do put other people out of business.
                        Isn't the entirity of Blackpool organised crime? Paul Ogrady mentioned something funny recently, that the concrete roofed nature of 60's buildings is because as a bartender, he regularly shot the ceiling with a shotgun to calm down the punters. Seems a bit mad max, even for the 60s.

From what I gather you're alright unless you join the black-tie wearing social elite. Sudden death round, eeeerk. I mean just never wear a tie, ever.
                        Last edited by shimano; 07-07-2021, 06:05.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                          I think lease costs in London make it an unworkable model. Las Vegas seems to be doing well - when I popped by the other day there were queues to play games - but it’s a crying shame it’s the only proper arcade left in London. I feel a token system barcade could do well, so your £10 or £15 lasts an hour or two maybe and then you top up, plus food and drinks at the bar. That could be the most sustainable model. Who’s with me to form a startup? (I’m semi-serious!)
                          Run this at the top of a shopping center in Hull, expect it to last at least 1000 years and then the council and everyone forget to charge rent. Some kind of Dagobah type thing.

Comment

I went to Exfed in Manor House for the first time last night and it was f***ing sick. There was a decent 3S contingent so plenty of players to go up against, and a tourney as well which I must’ve finished last in as I didn’t win a single round. Also there is this really funky cafe/bar type place on the same premises which is banging, and to top it off this weekend they had a sound system in the yard with a number of DJs playing deep house, some more progressive house later on, and then dub to finish the night complete with MCs.

Honestly I’ve not had a night out like that in literally over a year! Will definitely be back soon.

Last edited by samanosuke; 01-08-2021, 12:39.

Comment

Is that "Free Play City"? Wanted to swing by for some 3s at some point

Comment

Yep, that’s the one. It’s in a different building now but still same location.

Comment

Working...
                                X