No announcement yet.

Arcades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

****ing hell. What's cultural appropriation got to do with it as well? I'm sure native Americans are up in arms about an ancient machine with a tired old theme presented in a cartoonish style. In Weston-super-Mare.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
      Dude, I didn't know there was still an Outrun 2 at Heathrow. What terminal was that in? There used to be one in T5 but the only 'arcade' I saw there when I was there the other week was just gambling.
      There was one at Manchester Airport right at the gate, which was endlessly frustrating to me as I'd booked a lounge. I was there shoving the complimentary cheese and biscuits into my bag and smuggling free drinks into my flask when all that time I could have been playing arguably the best arcade game of the 00s. Didn't have any time to play it. I was fuming.

Comment

Just chomping down the free vittles, the cheese and crackers like ash in your mouth as the distant strains of Magical Sound Shower torment you.

Honestly an Outrun 2 right at a gate sounds incredible. I would waste wisely invest so much money on that if I was waiting at a gate that had one.

Comment

I went to the Krakow Arcade Museum at the weekend. Had a great time. It’s cheap to get in and all the machines are on free play. Being a museum it gives you some of the history of the arcade scene in Poland too. Must have been quite an experience the first time kids saw a coin-op in the communist era of the country.
          Most of the games were eighties and nineties stuff with a few from the early to mid noughties. Highlights for me were Tatsujin Oh, 2 player Sega Rally and an IGS Taiko alike I’d never heard which was great fun.
          I’m really itching to go to arcade club now.

Comment

We were at Arcade Club (Bury) last night with a few friends and had the best time. I’m actually very upset that I have to go back to the Netherlands.

I genuinely wouldn’t require any gaming hardware in my home if I had that place nearby. I introduced my mate to Daytona 3 and the intricacies of manual stick shift play and he was hooked. It’d be worth a membership for that game alone. It’s everything you’d want in a remake.

Too much to type about really. Just go if you haven’t been already. It’s worth flying for, as I’ll certainly be doing at some point.

When one of my mates was coming through the door he overheard someone saying “I’m sure I just saw Dave Fallows and his family come through here a minute ago…”, that person turned out to be a fellow NTSC-UK’er and FFXI head from back in the day (Rep/ReploidX). He was also with RareHero who used to post here a lot. So that was a really nice surprise.

Comment

Ah that rules - glad you had a great time, but also great coincidence meeting folks!

Comment

That's a great story, but at first it sounded like a DHOTY Award!

"Did I just see the world-famous David Fallows? The guy who has all the high scores on every machine here?!"

Comment

Nah, me and Tom were on a night out in Bolton with another forum FFXI’r (DJTickle) back in 2007. That’s how he spotted me. xD

Some serious scores set in that place. You’d have to dedicate several days on one machine to come anywhere close. Personally I’d love to set some time trial records on something. Disappointingly they don’t have F-Zero AX or else that’d be the prime candidate for such an endeavour, methinks.

Comment

But they do have Rave Racer, which has been getting a bit of attention around these parts lately.

Four OutRun2 cabinets as well, which for some reason are not networked up.

Comment

I feel like everyone on this forum is playing Rave Racer except me. And I'm not happy about it.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                        I feel like everyone on this forum is playing Rave Racer except me. And I'm not happy about it.
                        I didn’t play it if that’s any consolation. I did intend to but someone was hogging it while I was on that floor and I never went back up.

I’m still experiencing arcade withdrawal. Seriously contemplating cancelling my car pre-order so that we can buy a second property somewhere around Bury instead.

Edit: This is perfect, https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properti...hannel=RES_BUY - That kitchen needs ripping out for a living room. I’d only need a sink, a fridge, and maybe a microwave (or I could just live off of Tesco’s Meal Deals when I’m there). That could be a right little project, like one of them compact micro-homes they have in Japan/HK.
                        Last edited by dataDave; 31-07-2022, 00:24.

Comment

There's a reason Arcade club can boast to be one of the best arcades in all of europe, the selection is unreal. So many rare & obscure cabs in Andy's collection.
                          Last edited by importaku; 31-07-2022, 11:03.

Comment

Last saw Rep and Rare in 2019 when we met up (along with mikewl) to watch a Final Fantasy concert at the Albert Hall, pre-event we went to some small arcade inside a mostly empty shopping mall onthe outskirts of the city, can't remember the name. But played alot of third strike against Rare's chun-li, a mostly working Podracer unit and wiiu with 8 player smash on it.

Comment

Comment

Back to Bury Arcade Club this weekend. They had a sit down Outrun cab with some impressive hydraulics that move depending on the direction you're driving. Not what I was expecting but it was bloody cool. A big step up from the stand-up machine my youth club used to have!

There was also a Ridge Racer and Rave Racer setup. The pedals on both were uncomfortable to use though, my feet kept catching on them. Rave Racer's accelerator pedal had an insane amount of depth. I never got to play them in the arcades when they were current so I'm not sure if that's how it always was. I was rubbish at Ridge Racer with the clutch and full on gear select, I got the impression it's a much harder game to beat than on console.

I spent a bit of time in the the room filled with candy cabs. Place is hot as balls with all of the heat being put out. I gave Ketsui a try for the first time and loved it.
                                Last edited by Cepp; 30-07-2023, 14:56.

Comment

Working...
                                X