How to become a better virtual driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to become a better virtual driver

I have played racing games since Chequered Flag on the ZX Spectrum and generally love a good racing game. However as the games get more technical and more open to personal competition on the internet, I find that I am absolutely rubbish at them.

Part of the problem is with games like Forza 3, a highly complex beast of a game with no explination of what to do. Coupled with the fact that online racing doesn't seem to allow factory preset races (in Public matches at least) and you have a boring OOT last-place experience, as everyone in the blinged up car suddenly leaves you in the dust.

Not really related to how to be better at Forza 3 (I think the game shoots itself in the foot far too many times to be called an amazing essential racer, although in this current gen its the only one so far), but does anyone have any guides (links) or top tips on how to become a better virtual racer?

I remember a guide was supplied in the original Gran Turismo, unfortuantely my copy was in Japanese, but I think the basics are generally timeless.

One thing I have noticed in Forza 3 are the braking lines seem to continue around the bend, whereas I thought you where supposed to break in a straight line and then turn into the apex of the bend, feathering the accelerator until you can go flat out.

Not very helpful but I'm in exactly the same boat. I used to really like driving games, now I can only play the arcadey ones (outrun 2, blur...). Even PGR4 goes way over my head.

Comment

I have just stumbled on one site that was well written...

And on reading it, I am certain now that Forza's breaking line display really is a bit ****.

Comment

Forza's line doesn't show you where to brake, it just shows you whether you're going too fast or not.

Comment

Why do they call it the Braking Line then? (in the options)
          Last edited by englishbob; 13-07-2010, 17:24.

Comment

I'm guessing to show you the ideal braking pattern into the corners...
            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

I think is a very hard question to answer, ofcourse it needs some practice to gain some racing skills. But I notice that most people I race online with that can't keep up don't know the tracks that well, it's obvious you need to learn how a car reacts and handles but beside this I think that it's just as important to really learn the tracks, and I don't mean by knowing which corner is coming up next, no I mean REALLY learning the track inside out, this will gain the extra seconds you need to keep up.
              Other than that, try racing with all driving aids turned off to actually feel what the car is doing.
              Originally posted by englishbob View Post
              One thing I have noticed in Forza 3 are the braking lines seem to continue around the bend, whereas I thought you where supposed to break in a straight line and then turn into the apex of the bend, feathering the accelerator until you can go flat out.
              feathering the brakes are just as important as fearhering the accelerator !
              Brake line in Forza just shows you that you are going to fast when it's red..

try RacePro on 360. it has great handling, it's just a shame the game it self is unfinished and full of bugs.... but for SP offline play I really liked it, online is a different story....

I think Forza3 does an amazing job and it's for sure the best thing out there on a console at the moment, maybe GT5 will do an even better job but then you would need a decent steering wheel as well because playing GT with the PS3 pad is terrible (IMO)
              Last edited by TheForce; 14-07-2010, 09:07.

Comment

You could also do what a lot of other online numpties do and just cause a massiiiive pile up in the first corner and hope for the best.

Comment

hard braking should be done straight. with the braking force decreasing as you steer for the apex. thsi with give a smooth entry with a progressive turn, gradually getting tighter as breaking force reduces. you could do all your braking ina straight line then dive last second for the apex but you'll risk getting boned in the side as you cut across the line. having said that it works really well if someone comes under you, as you can cut back under them on the power as they run wide.
                  which brings us to power, put it only smoothly. getting on the gas slowly or quickly doesnt matter. what matters is that it is applied smoothly. too much too soon equals spin, too little means your getting passed on the straights.

Like which has been said before; all this means diddly if you dont know the tracks. knowing where you can do what and still not mess yourself for the following turn is the most important thing. getting back under someone going left if the next turn is right isnt going to pay big dividends if you cant pass them as you'll then be on the outside for the next turn and have to do it all over again untill you get past them and can prtect your line.

Comment

Working...
                  X