The New New New Xbox Experience Halo4 Dash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
    I actually thought it had always been 720p, I didn't think the dash ran at native 1080p for some reason.
    If you had your own media (either on disc or network share) that was 1080p and the dash was set to 1080p, then that is what it would output as.
    Now, it gets scaled down to 720p before being bumped up to 1080p again. That of course is for everything other than Zune.
    Its a very deliberate attempt to make their own content shine while they hobble everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by fahrenheit View Post
      If you had your own media (either on disc or network share) that was 1080p and the dash was set to 1080p, then that is what it would output as.
      Now, it gets scaled down to 720p before being bumped up to 1080p again. That of course is for everything other than Zune.
      Its a very deliberate attempt to make their own content shine while they hobble everything else.
      I wondered about that. And also wondered if they crippled everything to 720p to prevent lovefilm/4od/netflix etc servers from getting an arse kicking if there was a massive take up (which I believe there was).

the MUZU.tv app doesn't seem to be as badly affected though - unless that's just me.

Comment

Does this mean if you have a HD-DVD it'll get downscaled to 720p? If so thats very stupid.

I've been avoiding this update because I do not understand the issues surrounding it but this sounds ridiculous.

Comment

I wonder if the new dash is native 720p then and it just can't run at 1080p at all, obviously Zune content is ok because it's a separate app and can change its res on boot.

Comment

I dont know if its a coincedence or not, but since the new dash i hardly play my 360 and when i do go on to see what arcade games have come out, i just feel like i've been tesco and not knowing where anything is.

Comment

Is it just me being paranoid or are countless announcements and discoveries on various platforms just pointing to desperation on behalf of the manufacturers? It's like the needs of the consumer have been thrown to one side for short term gain, forgetting of course that the needs of the consumer IS the short and long term gain.

Comment

I dunno haven't given it much thought, as long as it plays CoD right?

Comment

Originally posted by k0pp0 View Post
                  I wondered about that. And also wondered if they crippled everything to 720p to prevent lovefilm/4od/netflix etc servers from getting an arse kicking if there was a massive take up (which I believe there was).
                  Sony doesn't spare the servers, so I very much doubt that is a factor.

Originally posted by Julio III View Post
                  Does this mean if you have a HD-DVD it'll get downscaled to 720p? If so thats very stupid.

I've been avoiding this update because I do not understand the issues surrounding it but this sounds ridiculous.
                  Good question. Haven't heard anything about HD DVD.

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                  I wonder if the new dash is native 720p then and it just can't run at 1080p at all, obviously Zune content is ok because it's a separate app and can change its res on boot.
                  Hmm, I'll have to dig up one of my static resolution test patterns and try it as a background on the older dash.

Comment

At the end of the day it's first and foremost a gaming machine for me. The grey and lower res doesn't concern me as by BB connection struggles to provide the throughput for HD video at the best of times.

And there's also the small point about the Netflix and Lovefilm apps crappy film selection. Apart from the lovers guide. I watched that. Lots.

Comment

Hang on, does this affect streaming from the PC too? I assume it does?

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                        Hang on, does this affect streaming from the PC too? I assume it does?
                        I think it depends on whether you are using a 3rd party dlna solution or WMC. I believe WMC is fine but haven't tested it.

Comment

Doesn't affect the DLNA streaming from my Synology.

Comment

Eurogamer reports the colour fix patch is out:
                            An Xbox 360 system update has rolled out to fix the colour problems caused by the recent dashboard update. "In this upd…

I might actually update my 360's now

Comment

I wanted to let you know that the team has just released a system update for the Xbox 360 over Xbox LIVE. Starting today when you sign in to Xbox LIVE you’ll receive a prompt to accept this mandatory update. If you are signed into LIVE already, you may be signed out and asked to […]

It's a significant update - taking a few mins to download on my 8MB line.

Comment

Can't see any difference (not quite sure what the issue was with the colours though), but does it only change if you had an issue to start with? Odd that it should affect some not others.

Comment

Working...
                                X