Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help me identify this Oblivion GOTY edition.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is bizarre. Judging from the photos, it looks a little too good to me a fake, especially if it has the manual.

Assuming it is genuine. I'd say there are two possibilities.

1) It is a Canadian copy. Quite often, a French instruction manual is shrinkwrapped with the game, but not inside the game case, and this manual could have been discarded. It would not be the first Canadian game I've seen that has no French on the cover, I have a few like that myself. The ESRB rating supports this.

2) It is Asian English, and the Asian publisher just used the US cover as-is, without even removing the ESRB rating. This is not hard to imagine. Plenty of games on ebay are Asian releases, and the cover is usually the same as the US one (but with no ESRB rating).

Comment

If it was Canadian, the ESRB box would have French in it as well.

Does Mexico use ESRB ratings?

Flip the disc over and look at the text printed around the hole in the center. Can you tell me the codes that are written there, specifically the IFPI number? You should see "IFPI xxxx" (where x is 4 letters/numbers) which identify the pressing plant. Counterfeit discs typically don't have IFPI numbers for this reason.
      Last edited by Lyris; 27-08-2010, 16:44.

Comment

Not according to Wiki, no. I've got plenty of Canadian games that are pure English on the box, even in the ESRB box (but had a French/English manual shrinkwrapped to the rear, with a bilingual version of the rear cover on there also), but these are all PS2 games. I've no idea if bilingual covers were enforced by the time Oblivion came out.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyris View Post
          If it was Canadian, the ESRB box would have French in it as well.

Does Mexico use ESRB ratings?

Flip the disc over and look at the text printed around the hole in the center. Can you tell me the codes that are written there, specifically the IFPI number? You should see "IFPI xxxx" (where x is 4 letters/numbers) which identify the pressing plant. Counterfeit discs typically don't have IFPI numbers for this reason.
          The IFPI code is: L779

Comment

I asked directly at the Bethesda Customer Service and they told me this is the South African release of the game. I didn't see that coming......

Comment

Interesting...

FWIW my US copy of Hitman: Blood Money came with a separate French manual and exchangeable French cover. And Nintendo have stopped putting French on Canadian releases.
              Last edited by egparadigm; 28-08-2010, 10:09.

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                Regardless, it's a picture of the NTSC-U/C version. ESRB only covers the US and Canada.
                I have a couple of Asian games that have the ESRB rating on.

Comment

Edit: Ignore!
                  Last edited by psusion; 28-08-2010, 11:52.

Comment

Working...
                  X