Which do you think best: GBA SP or GB Player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which do you think best: GBA SP or GB Player

Looking to start a GBA collection, but am indecisive which route to take.

As I don't like spending much money and don't travel much the player seems the logical choice, but then again I would forever rue the lack of portability when it is needed and also playing GBA games on the big screen seems to be missing the point somewhat.. if you get me.

So, offer your own opinions on the matter!

GB Player.

For me at least. I don't have any need for a portable system, but I do want to play the Castlevanias, so a GB Player is a great, and cheap, solution for me.

Comment

Hmm, well I'd go for full portability myself, as IMO the GBA has yet to boast a game that I'd consider compelling enough to want to play it on a larger screen. That said, others swear by the system for RPGs like Golden Sun, which, admitedly, can become a bit wearing on your eyes if you play it for long periods on the comparativly small GBA screen.

Best have a look at the current catalogue of GBA games, play on a few if possible, and get a feel as to whether they're the kind of games that you feel would warrant a GBA player - it's a fairly difficult decision to make as most opt for a GBA player to go with an SP, rather than as a direct alternative to it.

Comment

It depends on the game.

I'd much rather play an arcade/puzzle game like Wario Ware, Kuru Kuru Kuruin or Denki Blocks on the SP, but with something deeper like Metroid Fusion or Golden Sun, it's Gameboy Player all the way.

Comment

Well the GBA player is a lot cheaper than the GBA SP, however the display isnt quite perfect. Obviously looking at a reletively low-res display on a large telly is going to have obvious drawbacks, but it also suffers from a degree of judder. Its not noticable on games like Advance Wars, but on a fast-paced game like Sonic Advance you will see a lot of screen-judder which can be annoying (Apparently its due to the differences between an LCD and CRT image).

Personally I'd spend the extra cash and go with the GBA SP. Seeings as you get an adapter with it anyway, its fine for home use. And you just know that next time you have a long train journey - you'll kick yourself for buying the GBA player.

Comment

The GBA, simply as its portable. I dunno how I would cope traveling without mine, booting up the laptop just takes too long for a quick ten minute blast waiting when you are waiting round.

Comment

The SP for definite. Surely the whole point of gameboy is being able to play it when outside, on the bus or on the bog. The GB player can't do any of these.
              The only real reason to own a player would be if the SP wasn't released and you had to rely on sitting under a lamp to see the actual original GBA, but the SP has a light so this point is now invalid.

Comment

SP

you can't take the GBA Player to the bog.

Comment

Buy the player (?35) and the original GBA second hand (?20)...

Best of both worlds.

Comment

If you're not at all interested in a portable console, it makes no sense to get a ?99 SP instead of a ?35 GB Player.

Surely you should be able to understand that.

Comment

Games like Sonic Advance 2 have noticible slowdown and jerking on GB Player, also graphics glitches, which I am yet to notice on my SP. But playin on a bigger screen at home is nice.

ooooh decisions decisions :P

Comment

I'd go for the SP (although I have both nahh).

I've hardly touched the GBA player.. the games dont look as good and it isnt the same. The SP so much better you can play it anywhere.. it feels more immediate, like a book rather than a computer and is prone to taking over your life.

You can't take a GB player on a boring journey, you cant lay in bed or curl up on the sofa with it, cant use it when your waiting (theme park, hospital etc..).. the GB player takes ages to get going, its makes your GC look odd, you have to put in the disc wait for it to load, you have to reset, press Z and go through menu's to change game.. its cheaper because it isnt as good. Its a nice extra if you have a GBA/GBASP rather than a replacement for them.

Comment

I really want an SP now, you gits! But even second hand, its a lot of money. Anyone sell me one for ?50?

Comment

I have the GBplayer, original GBA and SP.

I only ever use the SP (Currently loaded with Pokemon Sapphire) - watching my mate Greg play Metroid Fusion on the player has made me want to play through it again on the big-screen.

How come you can't connect multiple GBplayers together? Does it mess around with the voltage or something? I was looking forward to LAN Mario Kart too.

Comment

It depends really on what you are after, if you are want SNES games then get a GB player because it is the next best thing to owning a SNES.

However I would say that if you could get one then get the SP, I mean if you have a GC you are more likely to play games for that than GB games, also if price is a problem get a normal GBA, the SPs are better yes but the normal GBA still plays the same games.

Or better yet, get both

Comment

Working...
                              X