No announcement yet.

Gaming irks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When the developer intrudes on my game experience with QTEs/cutscenes/button prompts/hand holding via NPCs I want to stop playing. For good. I replayed Quake again last year and it was so good just being able to y'know, shoot stuff.

Agree with the 'retro styled' games, the best thing about them is their ability to cure my nostalgia.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
      The constant trend of the moment where zombie = instacool. It seems like very game has them in somewhere it's getting mighty tiring. They are indeed fun but it's getting to saturation point.
      Very true and ts getting worse. Funny though, that the two best zombie related movies (romeros dawn/day of the dead) still havent been topped. No running zombies, mutant zombies, clicking zombies , boss zombies etc etc altough the first few resi evils have a fair bit to answer for and whilst original for its time, look at where it ended up.......

Marketing and the internet to blame - too many people into something = usual watering down too appease a wider audience = more cobblers produced, hence over saturation
      Last edited by dvdx2; 29-06-2013, 16:25.

Comment

am i only one who gets irked by screen tearing ? i just find it incredibly distracting .With pc games can always enable v-sync wish there was a way to do that in console games

Comment

I tried adding the Grid 2 demo to my xbox queue on xbox.com
          Today it has decided that it won't let me because I have no valid payment options on file
          I haven't had any valid payment options for years. I always use codes to renew Live.
          gggggggggaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

It happily let me add it on the xbox360 dashboard instead though.

Aparantly it's an issue with the currency thing and the update
          Last edited by charlesr; 07-11-2013, 12:51.

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
            am i only one who gets irked by screen tearing ? i just find it incredibly distracting .With pc games can always enable v-sync wish there was a way to do that in console games
            Any screen tear at all = unplayable

Comment

Looking forward to g sync myself..

Comment

MASTER RACE. (joke)

My gaming irk is the lack of blockbuster 3D platformers these days. The new Mario looks so great, just a shame it's the only game of its type now.

If they do exist they place the emphasis on combat (like Knack) which I really dislike. Mario doesn't really have combat, enemies are merely another obstacle in each level's grand gauntlet. Its focus on timing, dexterity and spatial awareness is great and I really wish there was another game like it.
                Last edited by wakka; 07-11-2013, 13:42.

Comment

Jak and Daxter 1 was so good due to the lack of combat.

Comment

Which was woefully ruined by its sequels.

Comment

Jak and Daxter was a great game. Crash Bandicoot was also good for its time, although it's aged poorly and is now very evidently a transitional game between 2D and 3D.

Billy Hatcher wasn't bad either.

Comment

I suspect 3D platformers as we all think of them were just a bridge between 2D cartoon graphics and the 3D realism that evolved into the Uncharteds and Tomb Raiders of the world and the mainstream will never want them back. Which is a shame, I'd love to see Sega give Jet Set Radio another go instead of torturing the Sonic franchise and I'm surprised Nintendo aren't splitting the Zelda franchise into a mature core Zelda and a Banjo-Kazooie-ish collect-a-thon 3D platformer staring Toon Link.

Comment

I don't know about that. It's not like games with cartoony graphics can't be popular today (we can actually make games that look like cartoons now, for one thing) and anyway, Tomb Raider co-existed with a wide variety of 3D platformers in its heyday.

You know what else irks me? Platforming, but robbed of any challenge whatsoever. It's like Nathan Drake and the modern era Prince of Persia have some kind rock-attracting magnets inserted beneath their skin (along with Araldite lining the palms of their hands).

Comment

One of the reasons I find the Uncharted franchise overrated. Fun but little need to really think about anything.

Comment

Gaming irk - free to play. Installed Tiny Death Star on my iPhone just to give it a go, knowing Tiny Tower is pretty popular. It earned my wrath by bugging me with notifications, somehow managing to do it after I said Don't Allow notifications and then going in and removing it from my notification centre. Not sure how that happened but it's not cool. And the game itself didn't grab me at all and I wasn't going to bother spending more time to see if it clicked. Which brings me back to the model and these points -

1 - Free means I assign no value to it up front. So I won't invest the time I would if I had paid €40 for it. No room for a slow burner in that model. Early deletes.
                              2 - Rather than instant gratification needed to combat the above point, this game (as with many F2P games) relies on making you wait in the hopes that you'll speed things up by spending money. The result - a slow grind. I have no patience for contrived delays or grinding.
                              3 - Nudging people seems part of the model in the hopes that someone will be pushed into becoming what they affectionately call a 'whale'. That just rubs me up the wrong way something rotten.

Result - delete!

I am yet to find a single free to play game that left me feeling nothing but contempt for the model.

Comment

Try Tera.

Comment

Working...
                                X