Gaming irks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asura View Post
    Yes and no. It has become a thing, and some people make obscene amounts of money off it.

The vast majority (like 99%) make no money, and might only get a few people to watch when they stream. It's more about the fun of doing it. A relatively small number of people turn that into cash, but really just pocket change to pay for the necessary equipment etc.

A very small number of people make enough to live on, and a comparatively tiny number make large amounts of money.

Those people are quite talented. There's really a fair bit of work to it. It just doesn't seem like that, because part of the "act" is to seem relaxed and having fun, when in reality before/after each stream there's a lot of technical work, self-analysis, production, social media work, traffic analysis...

Essentially the cliche has become "they just stream games and make millions" but that's like saying someone just made an iPad game and made millions.
    Oh totally, its only a very small minority making the big bucks, but still. Hopefully the bubble pops on it soon and it's all forgotten about.

Comment

Why? 10 - 15 years ago, could I watch a 20 minute TV show delving in detail into Street Fighter 2010 whenever I wanted? Nope. Now I can. The democratising force of the internet has resulted in an explosion of content around any niche interest you care to think of - a good thing in my book, since I don't like football, Strictly Come Dancing or Silent Witness, so TV holds little for me.

Honestly don't understand why you begrudge the people who take the time to create videos recompense for their work.

Comment

People have made greater fortunes for decades playing games where they kick balls up and down grass or even more inane activities. I have no problem with people doing the same with games now. My only issue is that the ball people get a slot on the news whereas Stampy doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
          Oh totally, its only a very small minority making the big bucks, but still. Hopefully the bubble pops on it soon and it's all forgotten about.
          In fairness, this sounds like an older person's reaction to The Simpsons, circa 1990.

Comment

It's like voice actor envy

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
              In fairness, this sounds like an older person's reaction to The Simpsons, circa 1990.
              Its just a gaming related Irc, my life won't end because of them doing it, nor does it enrage me, it's just an Irc.

Comment

Its just a gaming related Irc, my life won't end because of them doing it, nor does it enrage me, it's just an Irc.
                It's probably going to carry on irking you.

I think the YouTube personality thing is going to go through a bit of an upheaval soon, but after that, it's going to become the mainstream of televised entertainment. The upheaval will come when the advertising/product placement clampdown happens (which has started, but not really got going yet), but the popular figures that emerge from it will continue to be popular.

YouTube personalities bother traditional media because before, with online videos, people might have been making short films etc. but they were still trying to break into television/movies. YouTube's format and approach suggests that young people can aspire to popular media careers without going near that whole area.

It's a paradigm shift. For instance, people can self-publish books on Amazon, but many authors would prefer to be an agency-represented published author. Youtube isn't like that.

Comment

Was at a thing last week where a guy from a massive YouTube channel group said that the key to their success was authenticity while simultaneously showing us a car ad that was dressed up as a user video. Had me wishing for that clampdown.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                    Was at a thing last week where a guy from a massive YouTube channel group said that the key to their success was authenticity while simultaneously showing us a car ad that was dressed up as a user video. Had me wishing for that clampdown.
                    That's the thing - a big part of their success, sadly, is illegal advertising; taking money for promoting products while convincing their (often teenage-or-less) audience that they're being genuine. It's depressing, but kids really do get taken in by it.

Not EVERY YouTuber does it, but I've seen a few that obviously do.

Weirdly, the consumerist society we live in doesn't seem to have the same reaction to this that it once did. Even as recently as the 90s, if a pop-star endorsed a product, they were often ostracised as a "sellout". These days though, with Iggy Pop selling insurance... Well, things are definitely different now.

It's all due to Google; they became wealthy because they managed to do what seemed impossible - they're an advertising company that people actually like.

Comment

It irks me that you keep saying Internet Relay Chat!

When people seem to make a lot of money over apparently doing very little and it's all personality over content, it's easy to become bitter towards youTube "celebrities".

I've heard of PewPewPieDieCry or whatever, but not seen a video. He appears to be quite popular.
                      I don't mind if people seem quite humorous or enthusiastic like that Angry Joe guy (had to Web search his name as I'd forgotten!)
                      I like that Dashie guy's review of God Hand. It had me in tears of laughter!

What I don't like, is vile cretins like JJ "KSI" Olatunji.
                      I'm not linking to his video as I don't want him getting any hits.
                      I'd rather Matt Lees got them:

Comment

Ahh KSI, even he knows he's a dick.

What do you want to be when you're older?
                        I want to be a youtuber.

Comment

I actually like KSI. He knows what he is doing and how to appeal to a market. I think he's well aware how vile he is and I must admit his videos can be amusing.

Comment

I'm a bit disappointed by that, nakamura.

Would you find it amusing if he walked up to your wife and asked her if he could motorboat her or asked her "Where are your tits?"?

Comment

On the YouTube front I will tell you what irked me the other day, I will get on my high horse now.

This.

Not only him but the countless other youtubers who are now running onto patreon and asking the viewer to put their hand in directly.

This is mostly because of YouTube red and the possiblity of youtuber wages taking a cut, as this YouTube stuff is a full time job for some people, that means they may not be able to pay the bills. So what do people do? Get a part time job? Na just start a patreon and let your fans pay for your wage directly.

I can understand supporting content and the creator but when people mention weight loss surgery and recovery or paying bills it's like they are just using their large fan base to get extra money.

Boogie is asking for patreon money and he's not even turning off ads on his channel, there are a few other doing the same.
                              Just winds me up that people are getting $1000 a month on top of YouTube ad revenue and paid for ndorsements.

Comment

I do think that youtube is becoming saturated and i think what irks me is the bigger youtube channels i really do not understand why they are big and it feels that many have to create a irritating persona for themselves , and yet some of the smaller channels that really put effort in and have great content do not do as well.

Only time i will watch people playing games is if it is a part of a level i am stuck at, versus fighting games, expert playthroughs like with the cave shooters or bayonetta,

I do think within the next 20 years time accidents will increase as so many people will be walking around the streets with cameras doing vlogs and not paying attention to where they are going

Comment

Working...
                                X