Gaming irks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
    On the YouTube front I will tell you what irked me the other day, I will get on my high horse now.

This.

Not only him but the countless other youtubers who are now running onto patreon and asking the viewer to put their hand in directly.

This is mostly because of YouTube red and the possiblity of youtuber wages taking a cut, as this YouTube stuff is a full time job for some people, that means they may not be able to pay the bills. So what do people do? Get a part time job? Na just start a patreon and let your fans pay for your wage directly.

I can understand supporting content and the creator but when people mention weight loss surgery and recovery or paying bills it's like they are just using their large fan base to get extra money.

Boogie is asking for patreon money and he's not even turning off ads on his channel, there are a few other doing the same.
    Just winds me up that people are getting $1000 a month on top of YouTube ad revenue and paid for ndorsements.
    Jim Sterling is getting over 11k a month https://www.patreon.com/jimquisition?ty=h

Comment

Stuff like that doesn't bother me tbh. It's purile and childish and certainly one area of his that isn't overly amusing.
      However I'd be much more interested in anyone racially abusing her, which has happened. This is not even on the same scale.

Comment

If anyone is curious, there is an app called Social Blade which gives estimates on earnings for any YouTube channel. They can be very vague but can give you an idea.

Comment

I agree with QC. What if he asked someone who had had a mastectomy "Where are your tits?" It would be devastating. It's just not ok to behave like that at any time. If I was a girl I would have kneed him in the nuts and said "Where have your chances of having children gone?"* (*I probably would have just said "grow up, you loser" and walked away)
          Last edited by charlesr; 27-10-2015, 13:14.

Comment

This ties into the larger question of whether they should be held to broadcasting standards. The internet grew up as a pretty lawless place and there is a lot to be said for that in terms of opportunities and expression among individuals. And people hate the word 'censorship'. But what a lot of people miss is that the internet is now owned by giant corporations raking in the cash on the work of tiny content creators. They are taking over broadcasting and so I feel they should be held accountable in that role.

Comment

Trouble i had with a lot of youtubers are many really do not interact with their fans at all and people might as well be watching a tv show

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                It irks me that you keep saying Internet Relay Chat!

When people seem to make a lot of money over apparently doing very little and it's all personality over content, it's easy to become bitter towards youTube "celebrities".

I've heard of PewPewPieDieCry or whatever, but not seen a video. He appears to be quite popular.
                I don't mind if people seem quite humorous or enthusiastic like that Angry Joe guy (had to Web search his name as I'd forgotten!)
                I like that Dashie guy's review of God Hand. It had me in tears of laughter!

What I don't like, is vile cretins like JJ "KSI" Olatunji.
                I'm not linking to his video as I don't want him getting any hits.
                I'd rather Matt Lees got them:
                Haha just noticed that , sorry, irk.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                  I agree with QC. What if he asked someone who had had a mastectomy "Where are your tits?" It would be devastating. It's just not ok to behave like that at any time. If I was a girl I would have kneed him in the nuts and said "Where have your chances of having children gone?"* (*I probably would have just said "grow up, you loser" and walked away)
                  Lots of things have a what if. That's life.

Comment

10 million subscribers says it's ok to bully random strangers for entertainment I suppose. Then again, a lot of the vids that facebook friends post up as hilarious I don't find funny either. Like someone dressing as a clown and hitting a random person in the face with a cream pie on an escalator.

Gaming irk: I use the Xbone pad to play Dirt Rally on the PC. I only have 2 Xbone pads and they are both in use by the kids who have been playing Minecraft splitcreen non-stop since 9am. They stuff they have built is incredible. But I can't play Dirt Rally.

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
                      it feels that many have to create a irritating persona for themselves , and yet some of the smaller channels that really put effort in and have great content do not do as well.
                      Saw this yesterday, worth everyone watching:

Last edited by QualityChimp; 27-10-2015, 14:51.

Comment

With WWE 2K16, you can play as Terminator 1 or 2 with PS2-era graphics...

Comment

SXSW Festival pulls pro- and anti-Gamergate panels after threats of violence.

Following threats of on-site violence, ‘marketplace of ideas is inevitably compromised’, says Interactive conference director

Basically, a panel discussing online harassment is cancelled because of online harassment.

SXSW planned to have two panels including one called "Overcoming Harassment in Games":
                          "A panel from experts on online harassment in gaming and geek culture, how to combat it, how to design against it, and how to create online communities that are moving away from harassment. The panel will dive into data around abuse in larger gaming communities. One of our panelists will talk about about ways to actually develop the social aspects of games - including UI decisions and how they can influence accuracy and usage of reporting abuse. Another will dive into UX design choices to stymy harassment in social media spaces."

and one called ?SavePoint: A Discussion on the Gaming Community? organised by a little known group called the Open Gaming Society, featured a number of central supporters of the Gamergate movement. The panel was to focus on three topics: ?The current social-political climate within the gaming community, the importance of journalistic integrity in video game?s media, and the future of both the gaming community and the games industry.?

The former talk received so many death threats that SXSW cancelled it, shortly followed by the other, saying:
                          "We had hoped that hosting these two discussions in March 2016 in Austin would lead to a valuable exchange of ideas on this very important topic. However, preserving the sanctity of the big tent at SXSW Interactive necessitates that we keep the dialogue civil and respectful. If people can not agree, disagree and embrace new ways of thinking in a safe and secure place that is free of online and offline harassment, then this marketplace of ideas is inevitably compromised."

Stopping people from the chance to "agree, disagree and embrace new ways of thinking" by using the threat of violence is pretty much terrorism, IMHO.

I'm disappointed in SXSW's decision to cancel the talks and not to work with the police to look into who sent these death threats.

You can follow how the story developed in this NeoGAF thread by crimsonheadGCN, concisely updated with Tweets and statements: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1130027

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                            ?the importance of journalistic integrity in video game?s media?
                            I love it. It's actually beyond comical at this point, well, aside from the fact that they have dangerous nut jobs.

Comment

Can someone explain to me in simple terms what on earth this gamergate is and why so many channels i sub to often do videos usually berating Anita Sarkeesian

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
                                Can someone explain to me in simple terms what on earth this gamergate is

When Anita Sarkeesian launched a YouTube series on misogyny in video games, she received death threats and was forced into hiding. A year on from GamerGate, she explains why a global ‘temper tantrum’ won’t make her quit
                                Last edited by QualityChimp; 27-10-2015, 17:00.

Comment

Working...
                                X