No announcement yet.

Gaming irks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DLC for BF4 is amazing value. Even the shortcuts make sense for people that want that stuff. Oops wrong thread

Comment

Xbox One Instant-On mode. Useless. Every time I turn it on so that updates and stuff happen overnight, games start to crash left right and centre. Turn it off again and all fine. Only an irk because I don't ever leave the mode on because I can hear the noise the PSU makes....

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
        Xbox One Instant-On mode. Useless. Every time I turn it on so that updates and stuff happen overnight, games start to crash left right and centre. Turn it off again and all fine. Only an irk because I don't ever leave the mode on because I can hear the noise the PSU makes....
        The general update nonsense is well out of hand. I only leave my ps4 on in rest mode for this very reason. I don't get a lot of game time now days but when I do there a flipping update for what I want. Now I just leave it in rest mode to do it all for me. I'll happily pay the extra in electricity if it means I actually get to play something that isn't the update game.

Comment

The only time I found Xbox instant on mode useless was when I moved all my games from internal to external, what MS don't tell you is when you do that you have to restore the licences so instant on will work as normal. PS4 does this with an option, Restore all Licences, excellent job Sony.

MS doesn't so you have to boot every single game once to restore the licence, so annoying when you have anything over 10 games.

Comment

i do not use instant on at all, there is a bug in killer instinct where if you play and then i switch it to standby next time i boot it up and try multiplayer it says privileges denied and i have to switch it off completley

Comment

Upgrading the hard drive in my PS3.

4 hours to back up 150GB, so roughly 10MB/s.

"The Future is Now", they said.

I'd just delete most of the stuff and re-download but that would mean another post on here about how annoying the PS store is to use etc etc.

For some reason, I can't activate this PS3 for game downloads otherwise I'd just do it on the PC.

Sony ballsed it up quite badly.

Comment

The future was now in 2006...

My latest irk is people moaning about games that require always online. It's not even an irk, but I wonder if people constantly move their consoles around their houses and they don't have Wi-Fi or the just dont have Wi-Fi in 2016? How can one's console not be connected to the Internet at all times?
                Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post

My latest irk is people moaning about games that require always online. It's not even an irk, but I wonder if people constantly move their consoles around their houses and they don't have Wi-Fi or the just dont have Wi-Fi in 2016? How can one's console not be connected to the Internet at all times?
                  For me it is when games are more of a service and i cannot play a single player game because of something i have no control over.

For example Diablo 3 on the PC ...i play single player but because the way always online is implemented ( i think the monster placement is server controlled) so would be in the weird experience where it would become unplayable due to lag.

Also i fear that if always online becomes more common then potentially it will kill some games of ever becoming retro.

Granted i have really good broadband now but still because of the always online i get some annoying things happen.

Comment

There's no need to be always online in a single player game, or if you're playing a single player version of a multi player game. I can understand why people might legitimately have a moan about this.

Comment

That isn't my point. My point is that if you are connected to the Internet anyway, why does it matter? If for some 1984-style reason whereby somebody wasn't connected to the Internet at all times, then I could maybe see why they might want to have a little moan, but otherwise I would genuinely like to know what the problem is.
                      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Well in that case the problem is that, even though it's no longer 1984, not everyone has a great internet connection. Also, even if they do, the SP game they might want to play might often be unplayable due to network maintenance, patches or hacks.

Comment

Also, when the servers are taken down - your 30 quid plus game becomes useless and worthless (even if you bought it on physical medium).

Edit: Imagine you had a Bluray that needed to connect to the Internet to watch and it became unwatchable once Sony Pictures took the servers down four years after release. That's say 17.99 down the drain. Now apply that to say The Witcher 3 (currently selling at about 42 quid), still cool with the required internet connection?
                          Last edited by gunrock; 13-02-2016, 08:21.

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                            Compared to the 360, the PS3 was the past even in 2006.

Comment

At least we can rely on Nintendo keep us in 1992.

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
                                Also, when the servers are taken down - your 30 quid plus game becomes useless and worthless (even if you bought it on physical medium).

Edit: Imagine you had a Bluray that needed to connect to the Internet to watch and it became unwatchable once Sony Pictures took the servers down four years after release. That's say 17.99 down the drain. Now apply that to say The Witcher 3 (currently selling at about 42 quid), still cool with the required internet connection?
                                That's ?10.50 a year? Are you seriously not cool with that? Everybody else would be playing The Witcher 17 by then.
                                Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Working...
                                X