Gaming irks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zen Monkey View Post
    Gamers annoy me. Not all of them obviously (I'm pretty cool after all) but, as a collective, gamers have a disproportionately high number of twits.

I like to message those I play with. If they play well I praise them. If they play poorly I tell them so. Sometimes they respond. When they do they're usually twits.

Example 1: Playing Dark Souls yesterday, I was summoned as a Church boss, killed the host's two co-op partners, but after a long and tightly contested dual I was defeated by the host with a parry and critical strike. Very cool finish to a good fight. I messaged him/her saying "nice parry, well done, good battle". Host messages me back saying "It's not difficult to parry, you just need to blah blah blah...". What a twit.

Example 2: Again, playing Dark Souls, I messaged a victorious invading phantom saying they were cheap (player hid behind enemies whole battle, equipped invisibility ring and used great bow from distance, never fought 1 on 1 once - real cowardly tactics) and they messaged me back saying "lol, you sound mad, bro, git gud, noob". And that's how most gamers I communicate with sound. It's like they all went to the same school. Why do they all sound like that? Where's the individuality? The genuine expression? Twits.
    1. Agreed, twit
    2. He's not wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
      ZM, you're ignoring the obvious answer here: the anonymity of the internet. Just win/lose and walk away. Communication between randoms while online gaming is like trying to find a dinner date on Tinder (I imagine).
      Nah, I like to make use of online functionality to communicate. I don't expect deep philosophical conversations but I like to acknowledge good play and sometimes criticism can lead to setting up 1v1 matches with increased spice and meaning.

Comment

It has been over a decade since I last experienced voice chat in a game. I don't miss it. I'd love to think that maybe online players have grown up a bit since then but, looking at the world around me, I'm guessing it's worse than ever.

I guess the good thing is when you can play with just a group of people you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
          It has been over a decade since I last experienced voice chat in a game. I don't miss it. I'd love to think that maybe online players have grown up a bit since then but, looking at the world around me, I'm guessing it's worse than ever.
          The weird thing is that it used to be good; remember when Xbox Live first started? You used to talk to loads of interesting people.

It all ended when Halo 2 came out. A month after that, the voice chat just seemed to be full of screaming 12-year-olds.

Comment

I had great experiences on Phantasy Star Online with total strangers but that was text and not voice chat. But it was around Halo 3 that just sank it for me. I played some games with people here and they were all great. Going beyond that to randos and it was awful.

Comment

I don't mind voice chat providing it's thoughtful. People slagging each other off can be entertaining providing it's high quality banter. It's all the racism, mom jokes and noob comments I dislike. It's unoriginal and twit-like.

Even vulgarity can be funny when intelligent or well constructed. One of my favourite online gaming moments was playing the original Gears of War on Xbox 360 sitting in the lobby and some guy on the opposing team starts yelling out "Mom, I'm finished now, can you come and wipe me"... "Mom..." "Mom, I've finished!"... "MOM!"

The way he said it, man, everyone was in stitches.

Comment

Last time I played online seriously was Blur on the 360. Ended up annihilating the guy ranked number one in the world. He messaged me with 'Beating me with my own moves noob'.

Unfortunately in my experience, all competitive online gaming seems to be like that, regardless of platform/game.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyJuggleDX View Post
                  ...Ended up annihilating the guy ranked number one in the world. He messaged me with 'Beating me with my own moves noob'.

Ahh, the irony. Classic.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyJuggleDX View Post
                    'Beating me with my own moves noob'.
                    Jesus. What does that make him, then?

Comment

Ok [MENTION=9465]Brad[/MENTION] thanks

Comment

[MENTION=25]charlesr[/MENTION] wrong thread?

Comment

I think Charles is referring to the rubber removal a few pages back

Comment

Yeah the sugar soap idea

Comment

I'm sticking more to single-player online stuff because other people are pure scum. Unless it's Splatoon you can forget about any team work.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                                Jesus. What does that make him, then?
                                A complete spunk trumpet?

I actually made a second XBL account, went on multiplayer and after half a dozen or so races ended up with 100% avoiding rating due to 'unsporting behaviour'.

Because winning pretty much every race(45 win streak is my record) is unsporting!

I still remember when [MENTION=7632]Plough Boy[/MENTION] was in a lobby with a guy on a 10 streak. He invited me in, I did one race, won, then left and the guy kept ranting and cussing me for ages.
                                Last edited by MonkeyJuggleDX; 04-09-2018, 08:51.

Comment

Working...
                                X