Gaming irks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
    Ha ha ha, for a second I was thinking "No, you fool it's X marks.... ah, I get it!"

Need a bit more caffeine, I think!
    And likewise, who's never taken the train into London, arriving at King's Ex station, and then strolled up Charing Ex road?

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
      I'd like to confuse matters further. On Wikipedia it says: 'In an interview with Teiyu Goto, designer of the original PlayStation Controller, he explained what the symbols mean: The circle and cross represent "yes" and "no," respectively'.
      In Japan, those two symbols generally mean that. So if a kid is having a test marked at school, teachers put a cross through incorrect answers and draw a circle on correct ones. The other parts to that theory is that triangle tends to imply a map, and square implies a screen (like an inventory screen). However this is disputed.

The other aspect is that the symbols are 1-4 in Stroke Order, at least I think so - the system by which Japanese characters are arranged in the dictionary (like how roman characters use alphabetical order). Circle is 1, Cross is 2, Triangle is 3 and Square is 4.

Sony's people have always said these things were coincidental though; they just wanted something which was neither letters nor numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
        Circle is 1, Cross is 2, Triangle is 3 and Square is 4.
        Yeah, that has to be a cultural thing because here we would say: Roundy is 1, Diagonal Plus is 2, Pointies is 3 and Box is 4.

Comment

In Japan, those two symbols generally mean that. So if a kid is having a test marked at school, teachers put a cross through incorrect answers and draw a circle on correct ones.
          I think the first time I saw a circle instead of a tick was on Point Blank!

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
            Yeah, that has to be a cultural thing because here we would say: Roundy is 1, Diagonal Plus is 2, Pointies is 3 and Box is 4.
            Can one of the mods change his name to Dog Thing? I find his laissez-faire use of language unacceptable.

Comment

Round my way we call then

NoLines = 1
              Wrong = 2
              2D Pyramid = 3
              Skewed Rhombus = 4

Comment

Surprise = 1
                Treasure here = 2
                Hazelnut noisette = 3
                Bourgeois = 4

Comment

This is a really finnicky irk, but I dislike it when people call the "X" button "Ex", as opposed to "Cross"
                  But an X always looks like an X, whereas both X and + are considered crosses, as Jesus Himself revealed unto us when he died for our 50Hz sins.

Comment

Everyone knows that the X on the Dual Shock is pronounced 'kiss' because Sony loves you.

Comment

It could also be 'Christ' as in 'Xmas' AKA 'Christmas'.

Square to attack and touch Christ to jump. It's the EX button, goddamit!

Any weirdoes out there call the circle button 'O'?

Comment

Not me. I call it the nothing button, of course.

Comment

Haha!

Comment

This is a really finnicky irk, but I dislike it when people call the "X" button "Ex", as opposed to "Cross".

Then again this is to prevent confusion when talking about multi-format games, as the "X" button on the Xbox is where the Square is on Playstation.
                            I call it the "times" button because:

1. Maths
                            2. My fun multiplies when I press it

But seriously, it is an x.

Comment

I know it gets mentioned all the time. I know I've probably griped about it before. But why the **** is the digital download of a game more expensive than the physical copy? Ridiculous.

Comment

Because the downloads are sold at the RRP, whereas(I believe) physical products can be sold at whatever price the retailer likes. If it’s above the wholesale price, they make a profit. Don’t look at it in terms of the costs involved(i.e. that a game costs much less to send over the internet than to manufacture and send to your house).

All these retailers would love to sell games at the PS/Xbox store prices but they’d have to all agree to do it together. There’s no competition on the PS/Xbox stores so no reason to drop the prices except during sales.

Comment

Working...
                                X