Gaming irks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
    breaking the lockdown for sex parties. These things are two-way.
    To be fair, sex parties do tend to swing two ways...

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post

Yours or mine?!

Comment

Tell you what I hate - the amount of block puzzle games I end up not being able to play due to colour blindness. It's usually due to mixing up dark blue/dark purple or yellow/lime green and it isn't always apparent. I was playing some Puyo Puyo game on the PS2 and was doing just fine until I'd got some way in and it started introducing new colours, one of which was too close to another for me to realistically separate it. Wish it was mandatory (or at least common good practice) to allow you to configure it in these types of games - I'm usually OK but I don't have it as bad as some.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
            Tell you what I hate - the amount of block puzzle games I end up not being able to play due to colour blindness. It's usually due to mixing up dark blue/dark purple or yellow/lime green and it isn't always apparent. I was playing some Puyo Puyo game on the PS2 and was doing just fine until I'd got some way in and it started introducing new colours, one of which was too close to another for me to realistically separate it. Wish it was mandatory (or at least common good practice) to allow you to configure it in these types of games - I'm usually OK but I don't have it as bad as some.
            I had a friend who always wanted to be able to play Super Puzzle Fighter II, but has been unable to play any version of it for this reason. This is a real screw-up, too, because from googling it, approximately 5% of the general public has significant colour-blindness. They've made a product where, due to an easily-fixed oversight, 1-in-20 people literally can't play it.

It's not unreasonable to suggest that by getting an artist to spend maybe a day fixing it on the next version they release, the game could make 5% more revenue. Hell, if they were to announce they'd done that, some people with colour-blindness would probably buy it on principle.

Comment

I'm only slightly colour blind and it's a real problem in Super Puzzle Fighter. I can see the colours but two of the colours (think it might have been the yellow and greens, can't quite remember) are so close that it takes me much longer to distinguish between them that it affects my ability to do well. And a palette swap option should have been really easy for that game.

Comment

I've just looked at some footage of Super Puzzle Fighter II and I'm in the same boat - I can just about tell the difference but only after several seconds of squinting at it, which I don't really have the luxury of doing! It's for this reason that my favourite block puzzler is Money Puzzle/Idol Exchanger, because the icons in that are simply numbered coins.

It comes up in non-puzzler games but less frequently - things like tiny coloured icon dots on maps or pickups on some shooters. It's frustrating because it's a very easy thing to fix at the developer end, but can make some games either slightly irritating or completely unplayable to the player. I don't even have it that bad, must be awful for some.

Comment

Yeah, it's why I could only get so far with Hexic on the 360.

You could add icons to help, but the coloured bombs didn't differentiate, so I always got to a certain point and failed.

I struggle with colours on some boardgames too. It's only once in a blue moon, but I'll move another player's meeple.

Comment

Xbox is going slow for everyone yes? Overwatch took 5 minutes to load on my xbox. My son said it took similar to load Siege.

Comment

Limited time content in games, annoys me in most MMOs

But Borderlands 3 having it ...is a bit of Irk especially as its having live service aspects in the game

Comment

NBA 2K20 wanting me to make an account in order to start the game. Literally. The first screen is to select your DOB, the next screen has you enter your email address.

I know this is how things are these days, but this was only the trial version!

It brought back memories of me borrowing an Xbox 360 Core from work for a weekend, inviting mates over for multiplayer PGR3 and finding out I needed to make an account. Without an account, other players couldn't join as guests. In order to make an account, I needed an HDD or a memory card.

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                        That's insane, considering how many rely on colour. I've read articles lamenting the lack of support in games but not being colour blind myself(that I'm aware of), it's never been something I've noticed or looked for. I was impressed with Doom on PS4 and its range of colour options so I watched videos on YouTube. A common complaint I found was that support tended to be developed by people who weren't colour blind themselves.

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                        Xbox is going slow for everyone yes? Overwatch took 5 minutes to load on my xbox. My son said it took similar to load Siege.
                        They want you to consider upgrading to the new Xbox. It'll load your Overwatches instantly. INSTANTLY!

Comment

Here's a petty complaint, but it's one that comes up more and more...

I hate when people say "the first Grand Theft Auto" and they're talking about GTA3. I mean the fact it says "3" in the title should be a clue. I really loved (and still do love) the old top-down games and the first one was hugely popular back in the day, but has somehow been airbrushed out of existence. It sold 3 million copies!

Also a fun and somewhat little-known fact, that's Trump Tower on the cover:

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                            The fact that Star Citizen hasn’t been shut down and chris robberts arrested for fraud yet. Absolutely outrageous.
                            Just read the Forbes article here.

Video game legend Chris Roberts has spent seven years building "Star Citizen," drawing in money from average gamers in the world's biggest crowdfunded project outside cryptocurrency. The game is still not done.

And this more recent one.

Comment

Kof All stars...if it was a console/ Pc scrolling beatem up it would be awesome but as a mobile game its urgghhh

when you start the sheer amount of popups trying to get you to buy stuff and the amount of menus and currencies is ludicrous and the "gameplay" could be good except a level lasts less than a min and the Touch screen controls are just not my thing at all not having the tactile feeling of which direction you are moving is such a pain

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
                                Kof All stars...if it was a console/ Pc scrolling beatem up it would be awesome but as a mobile game its urgghhh

when you start the sheer amount of popups trying to get you to buy stuff and the amount of menus and currencies is ludicrous and the "gameplay" could be good except a level lasts less than a min and the Touch screen controls are just not my thing at all not having the tactile feeling of which direction you are moving is such a pain
                                I'd back away. The core game of those titles is often something of an excuse; if you don't like the part with the menus etc. then you're usually not going to have a good time. That's why so many of them have buttons where you can let the AI auto-play at 4x speed.

Comment

Working...
                                X