No announcement yet.

Gaming irks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This part-free, part-paid model is working for plenty of creators on platforms like Patreon and Substack, though. I don’t think it’s much of anything like a magazine since 95% of the content is still free, and accessible via the same internet means as ever.

It’s a long way from fully paywalling, and more a method for your biggest fans to voluntarily contribute.

I think exploring it is a good call for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
      The other issue is that whilst what they're doing is much like a magazine, magazines themselves are on deaths door. It's effectively them mirroring a dead medium that they themselves replaced. When people are already being pulled pillar to post on subs for things that I imagine are valued by their audience much more it'll be interesting if we ever find out if they gains through the no doubt small sub numbers outweigh the potential audience losses.
      Maybe, but then, I think the prevalence of for-advertising content on the internet is a huge part of society's problems, and I'm interested in contributing to one of these services if I can make it my primary source of hobby news.

But that's the thing... For £6 a month they kinda need to cover all the bases.

Comment

Fools! I will never give Eurogamer a penny after that EDF 2025 review seven years ago!

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
          Maybe, but then, I think the prevalence of for-advertising content on the internet is a huge part of society's problems, and I'm interested in contributing to one of these services if I can make it my primary source of hobby news.

But that's the thing... For £6 a month they kinda need to cover all the bases.
          That's why I would have more expected them to paywall Digital Foundry. It provides great in depth content that has developed such good word of mouth it would drive subs leaving the main site free. But for the main site it remains that you can just go on Era/Gaf and find it all out... often hours faster too.

Comment

That's why I would have more expected them to paywall Digital Foundry. It provides great in depth content that has developed such good word of mouth it would drive subs leaving the main site free. But for the main site it remains that you can just go on Era/Gaf and find it all out... often hours faster too.
            I think there are two things to consider there, for me:

1) Fundamentally I don't think they have paywalled much of anything at the moment. They've setup a recurring donation system where you get a couple of small bonuses. All the news and major editorial content is still free.

2) If they had gone the paywalling route, particularly with jewel in the crown DF, I think they'd run into the exact problems that you highlighted earlier, which were that firstly the main points of any paywalled content would be disseminated widely across the web immediately anyway, and secondly that they would lose traffic to the main site (that was previously coming for the free DF stuff and then maybe looking at other articles too).

That's why I think they've gone for what is effectively a donation route, and not actually paywalled much of anything. It's never something that's going to deliver massive monetary value, but if you're a dedicated fan it's a way of supporting them. It's complementary to ad-supported access, which I've no doubt will continue to constitute the bulk of their income.

I'm conscious that I've been playing devil's advocate to everyone on here regarding this in all my posts, and it probably sounds like I absolutely adore Eurogamer and think their new subscription is the bee's knees. That's not the case (although I do quite like the site), but I'm just trying to defend what I think is the rationale behind it. Which, imo, does make sense.

Comment

I like digital foundry but find myself watching videos less and less....i think them constantly saying the word "interesting " is starting to grate on me lol

Comment

The tech knowhow is great but they're definitely hampered by times like now where no new hardware is releasing and game differences between platforms are no longer different enough to be interesting.

Comment

Yeah seen a few tech youtubers almost ranting to the audience about the lack of views....but cannot blame the audience as with me why do i want to see benchmarks for a card I likely will never have.

Comment

They should just have a patreon with a weekly exclusive podcast for a fiver a month which condenses the week's news.

Comment

My son dug out the Quantum of Solace game because I'd told him I'd been to see the new Bond film, which was cool because I wanted to replay it after all the Bond talk on here.

It's not backwards compatible on the Xbox One.

RUBBISH!

Comment

Destiny 2 ......stopped playing the game now, removing content irked me especially the content people paid for and having new content...if you pay for it and god knows how long that will last, and i can imagine new players starting are going to have story and plot gaps because of removed content especially Forsaken

Comment

Good. Now go all the way and delete your characters and account. Absolutely disgusting at how sneaky and underhanded bungle are about literally everything they do.

Should organise a big get together of all the fans and start removing furniture from their office, see how they like the shoe being on the other foot.

Comment

I really enjoyed Destiny 2 for the first two years but every update about the game and its content just sounds like an unappealing mess. Really ready for them to drop it and move on to a properly thought out Destiny 3 that's hopefully built better around this stuff

Comment

This (the Destiny 2 situation) is the end result of live-service games that use freemium-style analytics.

"Everyone" will complain, but in Bungie's spreadsheets, it's basically like an election where they give you 1 vote for every £1 you've ever given them - and they'll have made this decision based on a landslide.

If you're motivated at all by trying to give a positive player experience, no-one, literally no-one would suggest "removing content players have paid for and new players have yet to experience because it's costly for us to continue to maintain" as a viable course of action.

Comment

I really enjoyed Destiny 2 for the first two years but every update about the game and its content just sounds like an unappealing mess. Really ready for them to drop it and move on to a properly thought out Destiny 3 that's hopefully built better around this stuff
                                That is what is frustrating the core gameplay is good but this chopping stuff out and adding stuff is just frustrating and using the filesize excuse i do not buy, Warframe while they remove frames and Weapons (which is another irk and i really do not get that) the actual content and story remains intact though some content does change the context remains the same....and to boot every now and then they optimize and reduce file sizes

Comment

Working...
                                X