No announcement yet.

Gaming irks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Godfall which can be got on Ps plus or free on Epic store, but it is not the full game it is called Challenger release and it is basically the End game portion you start at level 50 and while there is a tutorial.....just feels bizarre and the fact when it is no longer free will be charging 15 bucks for it. Feels like just another way to try and squeeze money out of the game.....it is ok but nothing special

funny thing was when they said it can only be done on next gen consoles...and it got a release on ps4 lol

Comment

That’s been the story of the gen so far. I’m somewhat resigned to generational upgrades not really unlocking new types of games but just better resolution/frame rate now. That seems to be the sole focus of much of the talk about games over the last year.

I guess that’s my irk - the frame rate and resolution obsession. It’s kind of interesting but it’s ultimately just a delivery vehicle for an experience. A means to an end.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
        That’s been the story of the gen so far. I’m somewhat resigned to generational upgrades not really unlocking new types of games but just better resolution/frame rate now. That seems to be the sole focus of much of the talk about games over the last year.
        I know it's a cliche, but have you tried VR?

Seriously, VR's my PS5

Comment

I haven’t! Waiting on PSVR2. Kicking myself for not getting into it earlier actually, it’s a good shout

I don’t hate the new gen machines or anything. They’re way better than the PS4 and Bone. It’s just that they are fundamentally the same thing except faster, quieter, and with better resolutions/FPS. VR sounds like it will be a breath of fresh air.

Comment

That’s been the story of the gen so far. I’m somewhat resigned to generational upgrades not really unlocking new types of games but just better resolution/frame rate now.
            Hasn't it been this way since the PS2?

Comment

Yeah, to some extent. I'd probably call the 360/PS3 gen the turning point more than the PS2 gen personally. Oblivion and Dead Rising blew me away in year 1 of 360. I just didn't feel that those could have been done on the PS2, at least not without a ridiculously dramatic reduction in quality.

Comment

I don't think the 360 gets the credit it deserves. It moved gaming forward in a massive way. Not just the better looking games, but the dashboard, music player, online MP, download store ect. Even the triggers on the controller.
                I could write a essay on it.

Anyway, yeah I agree with Wakka.

Comment

360 is the last time things felt fresh and new, and each new machine just bringing a shinier version of things that were before; umpteen gears of War and so on. Ive felt that way, that was until it tried VR.
                  30 minutes in VR playing the original halflife and I was sold. Credit card hammered and I'm glad I did.

Comment

Totally agree with you guys. The 360 absolutely rocked. Turning the bloody thing on from the pad. The pad! I was amazed. Then yeah, downloading demos, playing music off your iPod, the whole interface and all the rest of it. Amazing leap forward for gaming.

It's clear that I really need to get a VR setup - I procrastinated on the original PSVR for whatever reason, even when it dropped to ~£200 in various Black Friday deals, then it kinda got too late to buy it.

I could've always bought an Oculus but feel like hanging on for something that will make use of the PS5's onboard welly now.

Comment

the whole interface and all the rest of it.
                      Double-edged sword, that one, as it was what finally made me fed up with the machine.

It was when the major exclusive releases had started to dry up and Microsoft were still obsessed with Kinect. Turned on my 360 and had to wander past two pages of ads for Mountain Dew and Lynx just to find the "start the disc I have in the drive" button.

Cancelled my live sub and took the machine to CEX. I was already paying for a service; the ads were just corporate greed.

Comment

Yeah, that was bull****. It's not my main memory of the 360 though. In 2005 that machine was a quantum leap forward in the experience of actually using a console and thinking about what a console could do.

Comment

I ultimately had a PS3 but the 360 could do all that and it did it a year earlier. Ok the design was a massive mistake hence all the RRODs and the adverts at the end of its life were egregious and for me MS ruined it with all that, BUT when I first saw one running in Game it felt like next gen. PS4 and Bone did not. PS5 and Series X do not either IMO. 360 was the last one that did really.

Comment

Yeah, that was bull****. It's not my main memory of the 360 though.
                            Certainly. I think it's just natural that your memories of anything tend to put, on a high shelf, how that thing started and how it ended, and the end is more recent

I bought my 360 in 2008 at a branch of Gamestation in Stockport, and I had a LoveFilm subscription when they used to do games, so my first months of owning it were dominated by playing games intensely for a week, then moving onto the next. Even though they weren't the latest at that point, I still have very fond memories of Assassin's Creed, insofar as that really felt like something which could never have been done on the Xbox (I mean considering something like Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, which might be the closest comparison), and Mirror's Edge was a fantastic early title for me too.

Comment

This is the gaming irks thread so the ad infestation of the 360 dash is 100% appropriate content to be fair.

Yeah 360 just felt like a massive step up early on. Mirror's Edge is a great example of that too.

Comment

I still remember trying PGR3 at GAME, switching to dashboard cam and seeing how the sunlight hit the windscreen. I wish I could play it now.

I was not impressed with PGR3 when it demanded a memory card for local multiplayer. I’d borrowed a 360 Core and the game from work over the weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X