No announcement yet.

Gaming irks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah of course EA, nothing to do with it needing another 6months in the oven at all and you forcing it to market broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
      I got a refund for it yesterday. Spent 1.5 hours trying to get past the EA launcher and, when I did, it would barely play on either my PC or my Steam Deck.
      Oh yeah, I read you had to go through EA's launcher even with the Steam version.
      This was rushed to avoid being pitted against Zelda and Diablo.

Comment

Sorry I`m confused, I thought new EA games had dumped origin for an app that doesn't force you to use it, at least on steam?

Oh just check Dead Space and there is only an agreement requirement. On Star Wars -
        Incorporates 3rd-party DRM: EA online activation and EA app software installation and background use required.

Along with
        Requires 3rd-Party Account: EA Account

thats a bit naff
        Last edited by huxley; 01-05-2023, 13:09.

Comment

Games that leave the game time counter running even in rest mode.

I started The Lost Child on PS4 on Saturday night and so far it's got me clocked at 41 hours. What's even more ridiculous is the fact that the in game counter maxes out at 99:59:59, so is essentially pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
            Oh yeah, I read you had to go through EA's launcher even with the Steam version.
            Yep, and the launcher really didn’t want to work for me and yet wouldn’t tell me why. Like seemingly a lot of people, I just a “something went wrong” message. Had to try so many things to finally get in. So it was a huge frustration when the game chugged all the way through the first section until it finally gave up and locked up.

Thing is, those few frames a second didn’t even look good.

Comment

The whole shader compilation thing is starting to get a bit ridiculous now, happening in so many games and heard its in Jedi survivor as well, I thought it was a Unreal engine thing but seems like it happens in a few others to. And it just seems to have become a thing in the past few years and causes bad micro stuttering
              Last edited by eastyy; 02-05-2023, 08:11.

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
                The whole shader compilation thing is starting to get a bit ridiculous now, happening in so many games and heard its in Jedi survivor as well, I thought it was a Unreal engine thing but seems like it happens in a few others to. And it just seems to have become a thing in the past few years and causes bad micro stuttering
                What’s this now? I though the performance issues in Jedi (on console anyway) was due to RT being stuck on permanently with no toggle?
                Last edited by fishbowlhead; 02-05-2023, 13:44.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                  What’s this now? I though the performance issues in Jedi (on console anyway) was due to RT being stuck on permanently with no toggle?
                  On PC a fair few games do this compiling shaders when first booting up which depending on the game can take between 5 and 20 minutes and basically from what i can tell again depending on the game the performance tends to get better as time goes on, not sure how that all works on console though

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
                    On PC a fair few games do this compiling shaders when first booting up which depending on the game can take between 5 and 20 minutes and basically from what i can tell again depending on the game the performance tends to get better as time goes on, not sure how that all works on console though
                    I thought console games don’t need to compile shaders because the hardware is all standardised, but PC games need to compile them because of all the hardware permutations.

Comment

The little running Mario animation they just added to the Nintendo Switch shop as a 'loading' marker. As happened with the one used in the 3DS shop, Nintendo servers/shops are just so crap that he never actually runs. Just flickers, then stops dead. A constant niggling little irksome reminder of how crappy Nintendo is with online.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                        I thought console games don’t need to compile shaders because the hardware is all standardised, but PC games need to compile them because of all the hardware permutations.
                        Yeah that sounds about right but just the way it started happing only in the past few years does puzzle me a lot

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                          In theory, yes - but in practice they still need to compile.

Firstly, because console hardware isn't standardised anymore. You have the big things, like if you're on a PS4 or PS4 Pro, but also you have smaller hardware revisions.

Then, on PC you can have different driver revisions, and I'm pretty sure consoles have the same issue - PC games often have to recompile the shaders if you update any of your drivers.

So technically, yes, on a fully standardised console, you won't have this problem - but the major consoles aren't like that.

Comment

Redfall....ergh had to redownload it twice, Issues even starting the bloody thing and seeing the game I cannot fathom why it is over 100gb and so poorly optimised for a game that tbh does not look particularly good

Comment

After nearly a week of downloading Jedi Survivor only just finished today. The game was completely locked into only downloading when the console is fully on, which I suspect is intentional, as soon as the console went into standby and the disk stopped spinning the online part of the file would stop downloading as well.

Fired it up just now, just wow, what a total disaster performance wise. Stuttering, screen tearing, absolutely crap resolution and terrible terrible frame rate. This need another year to sort out, it’s unfit for sale to be honest.

thegamecollection are playing ignor the customer but it’s going back whether they like it or not.
                              Last edited by fishbowlhead; 05-05-2023, 08:39.

Comment

I actually had this back from thegamecollection.

“ Hi,

Sadly as advised we do need to allow developers a reasonable amount of time after a new game release to ensure any bugs are fixed.

Apologies please can you confirm if you have downloaded this since the newest patch ?”

Errrr no, no I don’t.

This is the state of the industry now.

Comment

Working...
                                X