No announcement yet.

Gaming irks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^I liked the game overall. The biggest problem with it is that everything is much smaller, they've cut things out, merged levels, and the levels that exist seem to lack the scale of the original. It felt like reading an abridged version of a book.

Might just be rose tinted specs though.

Comment

Nope, not rose tinted specs. I played the original and the remake within about a month of each other. The remake is definitely smaller, with levels like the Cistern being absolutely butchered (all the side areas integral to the main puzzle in the original were removed). As you say, some sections were merged or missing.

The remake also feels far less coherent because it adds (for some unknown reason - loading?) winding corridors that make it feel like the start of a new level whereas all the original levels felt more connected. And some great in-game stuff became cut scenes in the remake, robbing them of their strength.

Worst of all, for me, was that the platforming of the original mostly couldn't work in the remake due to the change in control. So traversing areas mostly became about places to hang and shimmy and the areas you could hang from didn't feel integrated into the scenery. It felt like game mechanics pasted on to locations rather than the locations being the game, if that makes any sense. It was far harder to work out how you could make your way around the levels in the original and figuring that out was a big part of the fun for me.

Comment

me and the Gf were playing it and just found it really irksome when dying to go back to do the assault course style levels over again

and i remember her saying...all that for a bloody cog ? ??

i "think" my patience for games has got less over the years

Comment

Levelling up in RPG's. Want to max out your characters stats? Well then the jump from level 98 to 99 only happens to be about a bazillion XP.

Should be a lot more forgiving with the amount needed.

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
            i "think" my patience for games has got less over the years
            When I get a new game I like to take it fresh out of the box, snap it and kick the TV over, just to get it all out of the way before in inevitably happens

Comment

thats what irked me in the most recent final fantasy game for the consoles as i felt like you NEEDED to level up but they made it hard to actually do that there was very few places to actually grind

Comment

Glossy handhelds. I bought a 3DS today. I like it a lot, why does it have to be such a fingerprint magnet? Given handhelds are primarily used with your fingers, who the hell thought making them glossy would be a good idea?

Comment

Rare random drops. I spent about five or six hours in Lost Odyssey this week trying to get an enemy to drop an item. First I had to run around for ages to get a fight to happen (why is the encounter rate so low when you want to fight?) and then I had to hope that it was the right enemy, and that that enemy dropped the rare item I wanted. It didn't. In the end I just gave up on it.

Had the same thing in another game a few weeks back. Something like fifty times the same battle just to get a 7% drop. Luckily, it was awesome, so I didn't mind that much but still.

I think if games are going to have uber-rare drops like this then they need to set a limit on it. Like, you'll always get the item within the first ten fights, then make it rarer after that for people that want more. There wasn't any skill in beating these enemies, all it was doing was taking time. Games shouldn't meet win conditions just because you put the time in, there should be a skill element.

Comment

Dude, don't ever play World of Warcraft.

Comment

Most minigames in games irk me quite a bit. I understand what developers are trying to do with these, trying to add some variety to the game... but these elements usually end up feeling underdeveloped, and often poor rip-offs of similar games. Case in point, the racing section in the Disney World section of Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep. It feels like an extremely poor racing game that wouldn't get more than 2/10 if they made it into a full game, and you only play it because you want to progress to the next section. I don't play a Kingdom Hearts game cause I wanna play a racing game.

Comment

Games with stupidly low print runs, even games released only a few years ago. Go to finally buy a game only to discover that it's out of stock everywhere. Yet i can find games from the 8 bit era dead easy even the rare ones yet a wii/ds game released 2 years ago drops of the face of the earth.

Comment

Installing a new game to find there?s a 2 gig mandatory update for the multiplayer side of things, when you only want to play the single player.

Fear 2 team, barely anyone plays your damn multiplayer! I just checked it out and including myself there were 12 people playing.

Is a 2gb update for everyone really worth keeping 12 players (who may or may not be checking MP out briefly like I was) happy?

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                            Games with stupidly low print runs, even games released only a few years ago. Go to finally buy a game only to discover that it's out of stock everywhere. Yet i can find games from the 8 bit era dead easy even the rare ones yet a wii/ds game released 2 years ago drops of the face of the earth.
                            Which game were you after?

Comment

Side-Missions:

They are nothing more than a distraction from the main quest. I hated them in just about every game I've played that implements them I.e Oblivion, Mass Effect, etc. Such quests have been added just to pad out the game.

Cut Scenes:

One of the many reasons I dislike the MGS franchise, apart from the piss poor narrative, awkward control scheme and start-stop gameplay. The cut scenes were extremely annoying.

Save Points:

We aren't in the 90's anymore and yet some games still have them. There's no excuse to implement them in genres such as rpg's anymore.
                              Last edited by Bond James Bond; 27-04-2011, 01:38.

Comment

ok underworld again...as if the camera was not irksome enough now have a game breaking bug cannot continue and have to go back to a level

Comment

Working...
                                X