Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strider View Post
    The Japanese industry is dead.
    Foolish words indeed. Two thirds of the main hardware market is Japanese. If we only had the choice of Xbox 360 then you would be making some sense. Gran Turismo 5 is going to be huge, and MGS Rising looks to be trying something new.

The Japanese industry is far from dead. There are admittedly lots of terrible generic NTSC-J-U/C titles nowadays (Quantum Theory and Trinity Zill O'll Zero spring immediately to mind), but Malicious is better than anything I've played this year and it is 100% Japanese through and through.
    Last edited by J0e Musashi; 31-10-2010, 13:25.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I thought the Trinity demo was decent but nothing ground breaking. Enjoyed the atmosphere, music etc.

Look at Vanquish: great game, no forced co-op or multiplayer. While some call this a mixture, its not. Vanquish is a true J game in reality, could have been Contra 3D. But no sales it seems, i blame that on Sega.

Quantum is so ****ty because its another J game trying too hard to be western.

I'm playing Malicious and while its great, the camera is horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
        Foolish words indeed. Two thirds of the main hardware market is Japanese. If we only had the choice of Xbox 360 then you would be making some sense. Gran Turismo 5 is going to be huge, and MGS Rising looks to be trying something new.

The Japanese industry is far from dead. There are admittedly lots of terrible generic NTSC-J-U/C titles nowadays (Quantum Theory and Trinity Zill O'll Zero spring immediately to mind), but Malicious is better than anything I've played this year and it is 100% Japanese through and through.
        Oh calm down. I already made it quite clear I only said it to wind John up

As I said I'm playing through Resonance of Fate at the moment and I think it's absolutely cracking. I said what I said purely because I knew it would wind my mate up. I'm a journalist I don't believe anything I write

Comment

Regardless, it is still the idea of many that Japan has fallen. Whilst this may be true to a certain extend games like Malicious prove that it will be a long time before we are overrun by Grand Theft Auto.
          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by saturn-gamer View Post
            Look at Vanquish: great game, no forced co-op or multiplayer. While some call this a mixture, its not. Vanquish is a true J game in reality, could have been Contra 3D.
            Vanquish is self is made for Western gamers and to appeal to the West.
            I also disagree with you over LP and the likes of DMV IV.

To me DMC 4 was pretty boring, while at least Lost Planet was Capcom trying something new and I love it . Capcom are very good at action games and that to me is exactly what Lost Planet was . I don't get the this Western thing either When loads of Capcom games have been made with the West in mind and to appeal to the West.

I think most Japanese developers are finding it hard due to being so behind on the Tech and PC side of things and well light years behind the West on the Internet.

Comment

Regardless, it is still the idea of many that Japan has fallen. Whilst this may be true to a certain extend games like Malicious prove that it will be a long time before we are overrun by Grand Theft Auto.
              Nah I don't think that's the case at all. I certainly feel that Capcom has lost its way recently, but as long as companies like Cave and G-Rev exist I'll continue to be happy. Been looking at a few videos of Malicious and it certainly looks intriguing.

Comment

Been looking at a few videos of Malicious and it certainly looks intriguing.
                Malicious is an insanely difficult boss rush where you have no clue as to how you can actually take your enemy down. I'm enjoying it hugely though. With some luck it'll come out over here so others can enjoy it too.

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                To me DMC 4 was pretty boring, while at least Lost Planet was Capcom trying something new and I love it . Capcom are very good at action games and that to me is exactly what Lost Planet was . I don't get the this Western thing either When loads of Capcom games have been made with the West in mind and to appeal to the West.

I think most Japanese developers are finding it hard due to being so behind on the Tech and PC side of things and well light years behind the West on the Internet.
                Personally I'd have preferred a next-gen Onimusha over Dead Rising/2 or Lost Planet/2. DMC4 was terrible IMO, I strongly regret selling my DMC3:SE thinking I would have no need to play it ever again.

Biohazard 5 is amazing in co-op I think. Great use of the internet.
                Last edited by J0e Musashi; 31-10-2010, 16:07.
                Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I didn't really like DMC 4 too, but its ahead of LP (i just hated the controls, knockdowns etc), RE5 and other Capcom games imo. And it has no co-op. My fave Capcom games of this gen are likely SSFIV, Dead Rising 1 and Basara 3. Thats because they lost the brilliance and staff of DMC1, RE4, Okami, VJ.. heck, even loved God Hand. Platinum gives me the Capcom vibe of old.

Japan's behind when it comes to online play, and that consoles are more or less PC's don't help them either. They are leading on handheld and Wii.
                  Last edited by saturn-gamer; 31-10-2010, 16:06.

Comment

Oh calm down. I already made it quite clear I only said it to wind John up

As I said I'm playing through Resonance of Fate at the moment and I think it's absolutely cracking. I said what I said purely because I knew it would wind my mate up. I'm a journalist I don't believe anything I write

True, all so true. It made me laugh though. We're like a comedy tag team that no one understands.

Malicious is an insanely difficult boss rush where you have no clue as to how you can actually take your enemy down. I'm enjoying it hugely though. With some luck it'll come out over here so others can enjoy it too.
                    So, worth 800 Yen? I've got 900 spare. Been saving it for a special SP1 release if it arrives, but I could buy more if this is top notch.

Comment

I think so. Initially I hated it, but I've been playing it for most of today and I'm starting to appreciate it now. It's obviously insanely deep, and will require many playthroughs to master it. This is evident from the impossible looking trophies.

SP1 release?
                      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I think you can't like it right off the bat. But Malicious is fine if you adjust the camera to inverted and get used to its controls. Also if you find out you can do more than just shooting bolts

Its Dissidia meets Megaman power battle, something like that.

3 continues are being spread over the whole game... so I try not to use a single one. I've beaten the Dog and the flying dude, and I want to kill the bitch next but she owns me

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
                          I have always wanted to subscribe to GDM, purely because they contain such fascinating insider features. Any chance you could put scans/PDFs of this article? Pm me if needs be.

You can sub to a soft copy here. Either yearly, bi-yearly or per issue. With the 12 month option you'll also have access to the whole back catalogue.

The FF13 pm is in the September issue, November's is Spiderman: Shattered Dimension.

Comment

Japan needs to work harder.

Comment

He's got a bit of a romantic view of the Western workplace there.

Unpaid overtime, constant "crunch times", successful and popular developers getting screwed over by the publishers. There isn't a "salary man" culture but there is an incredibly high percentage of people who get "burnt out" and quit the industry or join small indie studios.

Comment

Megaman Universe cancelled, didn't seem like much of a loss to be honest.

Comment

Working...
                                X