RE: Raccoon City (rumour)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Raccoon City (rumour)

Capcom have studied the reception RE5 have got and have decided to go closer to their roots and remake Resident Evil 2 in the RE5 engine!

Or not

If Kotaku are to be believed, it's being made by Slant Six (known for such horror franchises as SOCOM) and is going to be a team based multiplayer action game. No doubt we can expect regenerating health and multiplayer xp...

I know there's been a lot about Japanese devs turning the back on their culture and embracing western culture and all the arguments and stuff but come on, Resident Evil was a franchise that borrowed heavily from a French game and was strongly influenced by American horror. It doesn't need to "Go Western", it already was!

Still, story could be rubbish and RE 3DS still looks good.

Following in the trail blazed by Dead Rising 2, the next Resident Evil game may come from the Great White North. SOCOM developer Slant Six Games could be the latest studio tapped by Capcom to create its games.

This could be amazing. Left 4 Dead but Resident Evil? I'm in.

Don't worry angry people, Resi 6 will still be done by Capcom Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post

I know there's been a lot about Japanese devs turning the back on their culture and embracing western culture and all the arguments and stuff but come on, Resident Evil was a franchise that borrowed heavily from a French game and was strongly influenced by American horror. It doesn't need to "Go Western", it already was!
      Capcom have always made games with an eye to the West, with the like of Final, Fight , Duck tales bloody years ago. Never mind how they tried to appeal more to the west in the PS2, PS days with action games like DMV, Rome, Onimusha 3, Dino Crisis, Maximo.

And if this is true and its just a spin off , Then what the issue ? . An Street Zombie Battle feast , taking place in Raccoon City with the amazing RE5 engine, sounds like a right blast.

Comment

In lieu of a Left for Dead game on the PS3, I like the sound of this.

Comment

The problem with it being treated as a spin off is that it means Capcom will be overseeing (at least) 4 Resident Evil games at the same from in house and outsourced developers. They're a big company but that's still something that seems impossible to manage cohesively.

I'm not convinced this would be a spin off though. Capcom promised RE6 would be a reboot and their current behaviour doesn't make it unthinkable they'd move the core titles in a franchise in this direction.

It isn't the first time they've produced a multiplayer RE title but having the Socom delveopers work on it doesn't make it seem likely it's going to be like RE:Outbreak, more like they're going to try and go for Left for Dead fans

Comment

Originally posted by yencid
            Several Slant Six current and former employees list an unannounced "multiplayer action game" for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on their LinkedIn profiles.

Comment

'Spin-off' doesn't necessarily mean that it is separate from everything else. The Outbreak games are officially regarded as 'canon', despite the story continuity problems that come with that. People might wonder what the big deal is when it's just a game, but those who have taken the time to dig into the Resident Evil backstory will know there's more than meets the eye.

In all honesty, I'm not overly concerned about the 'state' of the Resident Evil series. Resident Evil 5 was at worst 'uninspired', it was still a decent enough game. Until we start seeing some real stinkers, there's not much cause for concern. Capcom's decision to hire the previously-unknown Blue Castle to develop Dead Rising 2 seemed to defy logic, and that worked out okay for them. But certainly I'd prefer to see a reimagination of Resident Evil 2 than a Left4Dead-alike (just when many people are moving on to other things).

Comment

I've never played psx resi 2, but I dont think I could handle the controls now. Which is a shame as I got it working nicely on my Xbox1 via emulation.

Comment

Bah, I thought RE2 sucked.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
                    Slant Six (known for such horror franchises as SOCOM)
                    My most played game of the year 2000s. Bring it.

Comment

Originally posted by kernow View Post
                      Bah, I thought RE2 sucked.
                      puts on Arnies accent 'you........ son of a bitch..........'

Comment

Originally posted by kernow View Post
                        I thought RE2 sucked.
                        Quiet at the back.

Comment

RE2 is a huge favourite among long time fans.

Comment

I do feel that the original game has such a fantastic atmosphere and sense of claustrophobia that the other games didn't quite match (except maybe REmake, and sometimes Code Veronica), but Resident Evil 2 is such a fantastically contrusted game, I probably enjoyed the overall experience more than the original.

Comment

Originally posted by 112 View Post
                              puts on Arnies accent 'you........ son of a bitch..........'

Not as good as RE1, by a long shot.

Comment

Working...
                              X