Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - a lengthy review [now with photos]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - a lengthy review [now with photos]

Built by Thrustmaster as a spiritual successor to the highly successful Cougar HOTAS (Hands On Throttle And Stick), the Thrustmaster Warthog is a perfect replica of the HOTAS installed on the new iteration of the USAF's premiere tank killer, the A-10C.
    The HOTAS is named after the nickname pilots gave to the aircraft when it was first unveiled.

INTRODUCTION

Like the Cougar (a F-16 HOTAS replica) the Warthog Control Column and PCL (Power Control Lever) are built in metal, but the Warthog features a series of switches and buttons on the PCL base to operate engines, autopilot and few other functions of the simulated aircraft without having to rely on the keyboard.
    Both elements of the HOTAS feature a sturdy and heavy base with screw holes for cockpit builders and the large Control Column platform can be removed for better fitting; the base provides a very stable solution for those unable to fix the Control Column to a surface even during the hardest turns.

The Control Column is attached to the base via a 4-pin miniDIN connector and secured via a large screw; the miniDIN and the screw are the same of the Cougar and the Control Columns can be exchanged, though the Warthog Control Column has one extra button that won't be recognized when installed on a Cougar base.
    As the Warthog features a new, more precise mechanism that is also less prone to lose precision over time, the benefits for the Cougar stick are obvious.
    Using the Warthog Control Column on a Cougar base would seem pointless, but the Cougar had (and still has) a very active modding community and such users would want to test the Warthog with a force-sensing Cougar base instead on the usual “swinging” movement.

General views of the Control Column

The PCL base is more compact but considerably heavier (slightly more than 3kg) as it features a new up/down mechanism to set engines in idle and afterburner.
    The concept is simple: at minimum MIL power, the user has to pull up the PCL to move it in idle position, a setting impossible to attain without the pulling movement. To get the PCL back to min-max MIL power, the PCL is simply moved forward and when out of the idling area, it automatically returns to the down position and the idle position can only be accessed by pulling the PCL up. Same goes for the afterburner position, virtual pilots have to pull the PCL up to set engines to reheat. As the A-10C does not have an afterburner, Thrustmaster made possible to remove this detent with a very simple operation:below a dust cover between the PCL supports there's a T-shaped piece that can be move forward and backward to activate or deactivate the afterburner detent. The afterburner detent is disabled by default and the idle detent cannot be removed.
    As the PCL recreates the A-10C layout, there is no dedicated radar scanner elevation wheel on the front side, but its role can be simulated via a “mouse” multidirectional ministick on the left of the slew switch.

General views of the PCL.

PCL around 50% power; left throttle at min MIL power, right throttle at max power (no afterburner detent installed); left throttle in idle position.

Each HOTAS component requires a dedicated USB port; I doubt that they max out the bandwidth even with the advertised 16 and 14 bit precision movements - it's a common “problem” with all Thrustmaster products, even their MFD replicas need one USB port each. However this let the user combine PCLs and Control Columns as he/she sees fit.

HANDS-ON IMPRESSIONS

Let's start with the PCL.
    The two throttles can be separated by operating a spring-loaded lever on the leftmost throttle's front side.
    Throttles' friction can be adjusted via a dial on the upper section of the base; it takes five full rotations to get to max stiffness; by default the PCL at the minimum stiffness.
    The left throttle features a three stage switch on the right side and a single button on the front.
    The rightmost throttles as a 8 way slew switch and “mouse emulator” on the front side. The left side has a 8 way COM switch and three two positions rocker switches.
    The base features controls for the autopilot (three positions switch plus button), RADALT and EAC switches (two positions).
    On the PCL left side there's the flap switch (three positions); on the right side there's a slider, landing gear horn silencer (button), APU switch and two engine fuel flow switches (all two positions); between these there are two switches dedicated to engine operation; they have two “rest” positions plus a third “temporary” position for engine ignition.
    The PCL is rather big, with the hand resting evenly between the two throttles reaching the bottom rocker switch is kinda hard, however the leftmost throttle switches aren't heavily used when piloting an A-10C. Most times the left hand will grab the rightmost throttle to have full access to the rocker switches there with the throttles linked together.
    The PCL is easily the best and funniest part of the HOTAS to use, the switches have a great tactile and audio feedback; at the standard friction setting the throttles offer little resistance while still delivering great precision in power control.
    The only “bad” thing is that the base lights up in green when plugged in and there is no direct lighting control on the unit itself, it must be set via software.

PCL detail. 1: COM switch; 2: airbrake rocker switch; 3: "boat" switch; 4: "china" switch; 5: slew switch; 6: "mouse emulator" 7: pinky button 8: throttle decoupling lever; 9: pinky switch

Base without the two throttles. The five white dots are customizable LEDs; the topmost dial is to adjust PCL friction.

Hand resting on both throttles: thumb can reach the "boat" switch; hand resting on the left throttle: thumb can operate the "china" switch too.

The Control Column is a more standard affair.
    The trigger is a two stage design with a rather long run between the two stages: the first is triggered with a light press, the second requires a full depression. On the opposite side there is a normal button, a 8 way trim switch and two 4 way switches. Below this group, on the left side there's an additional four way switch.
    The base of the Control Column has an other button (operated by the little finger). The last button is positioned on the front side of the Control Column and can be depressed by operating on a metal lever. This button is intended to emulate the autopilot switch on many other HOTAS and when in a A-10C can be used as a shift button.
    A small but comfortable hand rest is modeled onto the Column's bottom part, just above the miniDIN connector.
    When grabbing the Control Column all buttons are within reach of the designated finger. All buttons and switches near the trim and the lateral 4 way switch can be accessed with the thumb; the trigger and the Master Mode button with the index; the little finger operates the bottom buttons.
    The Control Column is attached to a self-centering base constrained with a proprietary 5 coil spring system: this new mechanism is wonderfully precise and the stick never fails to return in its neutral position even after the hardest movements.

Control Column handling

Upper quadrant detail. 1:weapon release button; 2: trim switch (LWD and RWD stand for Left Wing Down and Right Wing Down respectively); 3: Target Management Switch; 4: Data Management Switch.

Trigger stages: standing by; first stage; second stage
    Last edited by briareos_kerensky; 21-11-2010, 20:15. Reason: photos added

SOFTWARE

The software is called T.A.R.G.E.T. (Thrustmaster Advanced pRogramming Graphical EdiTor) and is divided into a GUI and a Script Editor. The GUI works as a high-level programming tool while the Script editor allows users to create highly customized layouts tapping directly into Direct Input commands. The scripting language is the same as the one used in Foxy (the programming tool for the Cougar) and those used to it won't find any problem setting up an advanced profile.
    TARGET allows user to set commands for all compatible Thrustmaster products (Warthog, Cougar, MFDs and T.16000M) even if they are not installed on the system.
    The GUI portion of the program is a WYSIWYG editor for ?quick? setup, but it gives users access to some advanced functions, like setting dead zone, macros and shift buttons to increase the command directly mapped to the HOTAS.
    A profile created in the GUI can then be opened in the Script Editor for manual finetuning.

The first contact with the T.A.R.G.E.T. software is not the best however.
    First, it is not bundled with the HOTAS and must be downloaded from Thrustmaster's website, along with the manuals. In this age of internet might seem a trivial problem but to me it's a major omission: hardware and software go hand in hand and I doubt a printed CD would decrease Thrustmaster's profit on the whole package.
    Second, during the HOTAS launch (October 2010) the version available was a Release Candidate; when I first tried to start the GUI I was greeted with an error message; I reported the bug on the dedicated website and got a reply in three days that I had to set my keyboard to English US to have the GUI portion work...the Script Editor worked just fine!
    Fortunately to have the Warthog working under DCS A-10C you don't need to set a profile in T.A.R.G.E.T., but setting up a profile for any other game would require to switch the keyboard layout and use the GUI's virtual keyboard to avoid any potential conflicts between program and keyboard versions.
    The current version (released in November, still a Release Candidate) solves this problem and I'm glad to see that the release notes contain more improvements than real bugs.
    The Warthog community is already very active and T.A.R.G.E.T. should reach a mature, user-oriented status in few months.

Personally, I don't like the dark interface and overall it feels a bit clumsy, but it's more functional than Saitek's customization program.

IN GAME IMPRESSIONS WITH...

Setting up a profile for a game takes some time, with Falcon 4.0 currently topping the charts with almost two hours to set up the Warthog via the GUI program. For this reason I still have to set up a profile for Jane's F/A-18.
    MechWarrior 4 takes considerably less time and DCS A-10C automatically recognizes the Warthog and assign a standard profile.

The peripheral setup I'm playing with is the following:
    Thrustmaser HOTAS Warthog
    2x Thrustmaster MFDs
    Saitek Rudder Pedals

DCS A-10C
    note: this game is still in beta.
    Of course you can't have a A-10C HOTAS without a cutting edge A-10C simulation.
    Plug in all the above equipment, start DCS A-10C and everything is already configured, from the two-stage fire trigger to the toe brakes.
    The standard setting assigns the trim hat switch to the pilot's point-of-view, which I've found strange. The game features a moderately complex mapping feature so all changes have been made in-game without starting Thrustmaster's own program. Once set the trim switch to what I've found more natural, the Warthog is ready to be taken for a flight.
    The Warthog response to every command is fast, fluid and natural. Even without using the rudder is possible to perform a coordinated turn with ease.
    Lacking on-HOTAS rudder controls taking off is a bit difficult (if impossible) with only the Warthog and using the standard control configuration.

Falcon 4.0 Allied Force
    It doesn't make much sense to use an A-10C HOTAS in a F-16 simulation, but setting up the controls got me some experience with the new T.A.R.G.E.T. programs.
    As the Warthog features more buttons than the Cougar, more functions can be assigned to the HOTAS, further removing player dependency from the keyboard.
    The Warthog PCL pays a little for being shaped as it is, radar and weapon controls require some time to get used to.
    The Warthog is slightly more responsive than the Cougar thanks to its new innards which outweight the lack of few dedicated controls.

MechWarrior 4 Mercenaries
    The three MW4 games (Vengeance, Black Knight and Mercenaries) use the same engine and control setup; unfortunately they don't share a single centralized configuration so all games must be set up separately to correctly use all the peripherals.
    I've tested the Warthog with Mercenaries as it allows for a more varied 'Mech selection and more varied terrain features. Compared to DCS and F4.0 the rhythm is faster and often the joystick and throttle are required to go from an end to an other with immediate motions.
    Under these circumstances the Warthog performed admirably but the heavier design might pose some strain on shoulders after long sessions.
    Without a dedicated ?rudder? axis, users must be creative when assigning the torso twist commands. First I've tried to map the left PCL to throttle and the right to torso twist; the trim switch isn't particularly good for constant use and I've found that the COM hat on the left PCL is the best switch to command a torso twist. The Warthog features less ?face buttons? for group firing than the Saitek X-52, so finding the right firing buttons in an other small problem: the trim switch is better suited for this purposes but it's still not as good as ?real? buttons.
    Switches on the PCL are recommended for shutting up and down 'Mechs and other misc functions.
    Last edited by briareos_kerensky; 19-11-2010, 13:59. Reason: adde links

Comment

COMPARED TO...

Thrustmaster Cougar
      The left hand rests better on the Cougar PCL but the Warthog Control Column is more comfortable. Plus, it has an extra button. Precision is not a real concern has the sticks can be swapped.
      The Warthog PCL lacks dedicated radar controls, so the Cougar is better suited for fighter planes (or anything with a steerable radar array); however the double PCL axis is a must for any twin-engine aircraft and the radar functions can be recreated via existing buttons.
      The build quality of both HOTAS is excellent, but overall the Warthog is better...well, there are 8 years between the two products, so an higher standard is only to be expected.
      Warthog limitations like a dedicated rudder axis can be found in the Cougar too, but people using them surely have pedals to match their joysticks.

Saitek X-52
      Not to be confused with the X-52 PRO, a very similar design from the same company. The differences are minimal and the HOTAS innards should be the same, what changes is the color (?pro black? for the X-52PRO, half silver/half black for the X-52) and few buttons.
      The X-52 is an alright HOTAS and its unique feature is the large LCD screen on the PCL and the various mode and shift switches allowing the user to replicate the most complex commands via simple button presses. The Saitek configuration software is easier to use than the new T.A.R.G.E.T. but it also has less options; it gets the job done and there is no need to learn a scripting language to set up the HOTAS; however the advanced user will feel constrained, especially if used to Foxy.
      Built in plastic, the X-52 requires less strength to move but after 10 minutes with either Cougar or Warthog, the X-52 feels like a toy. The Warthog beats the X-52 hands down in design, precision and button numbers but it's considerably easier to set up.
      As a plus the X-52 can emulate rudder movement by turning the Control Column sideways, but the solution is not as intuitive as having true pedals. However, it's an all-in-one solution that the Cougar and the Warthog cannot offer.

Saitek X-36
      The oldest HOTAS I have, the Saitek X-36 is a design that console players should easily recognize as it's the base for the Ace Edge Flight Stick released with Ace Combat 6, albeit with less hat switches and a different color. Despite its age I still think it has one of the best PCLs out there, ergonomically speaking. Unfortunately the X-36 relies on the obsolte GAME port and keyboard (with DIN connectors) pass-throughs.
      The general layout is very similar to the X-52, but instead of having the rudder axis on the Control Column the X-36 features a rocker switch underneath the PCL, which I prefer.
      The X-36 was an excellent HOTAS ten years ago but nowadays it cannot compete against any other product. The only real advantage that the X-36 has over the Warthog is that the PCL is more comfortable to hold.

Comment

Am I the only one who doesn't know what a "Thrustmaster Warthog" is? Sounds like some kind of military vehicle...

Comment

Sounds like a sex toy for people with questionable taste in poontang.

Comment

Thrustmaster is the company building the HOTAS, Warthog is the name of the product. Warthog is also the nickname of the A-10C.

Comment

Thanks for your impressions of the stick when used with MW4. Did you find torso twist awkward when it was mapped to the COM hat instead of a twist of the stick?

Comment

Well, it is, but I find that having the stick controlling torso twist is strange too. Pedals are much better than both options.

Comment

Working...
                X