Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[comments] Vanquish

Vanquish

Thanks to Johannes for the words and banner.

Please note that Johannes is trying to improve both his English and his reviewing. Any constructive comments much appreciated.

Thanks

If I wrote a review for vanquish it would simply be:

Badical.

Comment

Agreed!

Comment

Maybe the score should be above the ordering mechanic, seems a little lost down there.

Comment

Originally posted by spagmasterswift View Post
          Maybe the score should be above the ordering mechanic, seems a little lost down there.
          Agreed. Wouldn't hurt to increase the font size of the score either.

The only error I see in the review is "Vanquish is a gamer's game", which should be "gamers", without the '. Gamer's means "gamer is".

Comment

Good review and your English is excellent. I have an A in English Language A-Level but I had to look up what "effulgent" means!

Comment

Originally posted by Alex WS View Post
              The only error I see in the review is "Vanquish is a gamer's game", which should be "gamers", without the '. Gamer's means "gamer is".
              It also means "belongs to the gamer" so should be fine as-is.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex WS View Post
                I'm not a native English speaker, but are you sure you are correct? I'm looking at English grammar rules and according to them "gamer's" is correct.

Example given: "My boss's secretary" or "my boss' secretary"
                Last edited by Guts; 29-11-2010, 15:21.

Comment

Example given: "My boss's secretary" or "my boss' secretary"

That's not a good example as it ends in "s"! Any word ending in "s" with an apostrophe has to have it at the end I think (though happy to be corrected!)

"Gamer's" refers to the individual, "gamers'" refers to the collective, so either is fine - it will only be incorrect depending on whether the author intended to refer to the individual gamer or the collective gamers.

Sorry for turning this into pedant's corner! Or should that be pedants' corner...?!

Comment

Vanquish - Gamer is Game!1

Comment

I think Johannes is more interested in overall critique than the finer points of grammar (that our proofers will pick up anyway).

Comment

Id say the review overused the words "game" and "player", tricky not to use them too many times in a game(')s review, but they did stick out a little for me. Hope that's not seen as being picky.

Comment

Working...
                        X