No announcement yet.

iPad 2 - A5 CPU/GPU Claimed 9x faster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surely because something is dual core and runs concurrent threads - it doesn't make it twice as fast?

Comment

Originally posted by FSW View Post
      I think the days of people coding like that are long gone mate (there might be the odd muppet out there still of course). When you make a Windows game you have no idea what cpu/gpu combo you have. Apple sent out an advisory years ago about not assuming a particular resolution or DPI on the device your app/game was running on.
      People don't intentionally code like that.

However there are plenty "tinker until it gets working" amateur devs who'll fall foul of the unexpected HW differences.

On a windows box you can just email a few friends the code and get them to test it. You can't easily do that with IOS (unless all your friends jailbreak of course)

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
        You can't easily do that with IOS (unless all your friends jailbreak of course)
        Yeah, you can. I've tested for people before - they just need my device id and can add my phone to the testing app so I can give it a go.

Comment

Originally posted by kernow View Post
          Surely because something is dual core and runs concurrent threads - it doesn't make it twice as fast?
          Well, my statement was trying to play down the CPU increase as the OP said it was 9 x faster. Up to 2 x faster then. Depends how well the code's written.

Comment

Sounds to me like an A5 is a dual-core A4 - but with much better graphics pipeline.
            Existing code won't run better from a CPU point of view (apart from some threading improvements - the OS shipping parallel threads to the second core - but my confidence in any OSs ability to adequately schedule is small..)

The GPU improvements are the most notable improvements.

Comment

I think the rumours regarding the retina level display were correct but Apple weren't able to overcome the issues with supply before release date so the v2 was released with the same display as the v1.
              The app divergance is just another way for Apple to ensure you replace your devices with the latest version.

Comment

Recompiled multi-threaded apps might get a bit faster. iPad2 specific apps can take better advantage. Really though it's the overall experience that ought to be slicker with all the various processes shared about.

Comment

Recompiled multi-threaded apps might get a bit faster. iPad2 specific apps can take better advantage. Really though it's the overall experience that ought to be slicker with all the various processes shared about.
                  Agreed - sorry didn't mean to make it sound like iPad2 specific stuff wouldn't be faster - it definately should be as the developer can have more concurrent threads.

Thanks for clearing it up

Comment

All that power but no gaming buttons. It's a crying shame. I have an iPad and the games look the business but anything more complicated than taps or swipes and it feels like playing PS3 with skiing gloves on

Still I am a gadget whore and love my iPad for streaming films and Internet and some games so may trade up when the new one is out

Comment

Originally posted by davek22 View Post
                      All that power but no gaming buttons. It's a crying shame. I have an iPad and the games look the business but anything more complicated than taps or swipes and it feels like playing PS3 with skiing gloves on

Still I am a gadget whore and love my iPad for streaming films and Internet and some games so may trade up when the new one is out

Have you seen icontrolpad? I have ordered, waiting for it arrive. Can be used with IOS devices, but nubs only work on jailbroken devices.

Also works on HTPC/Android/Laptop etc. A bluetooth gamepad for people who are REALLY anal about Dpad and Buttons! (Like me...)

Also works standalone:

Comment

So that's mostly for emulators I guess?

Comment

That looks very interesting. Dual analogue sticks as well as dpad and buttons. If that gets support on iOS games it could really liven things up.

I saw some weird joysticks for the iPad that clip on the side and go over the screen on some spiral plastic stems. Their touch gets recognised by the screen as fingers

Edit: they are called Fling
                          Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                          Last edited by davek22; 07-03-2011, 12:07.

Comment

So that's mostly for emulators I guess?
                            They are releasing API's for the game stores on Google and IOS, as they firmly believe games like FPS are best played with controls.

Currently it's mostly emulators.

The device can be connected as "Bluetooth keyboard mode" so they hope devs will at least support that.

Will be interesting to see! Quake2 works great on the Nubs, for Pandora. (Same manufacturer)

Comment

Interesting stuff for sure. I bought SF4 on iOS (cos it was cheap) and it looks amazing but of course is totally unplayable. Such a shame that all that power is hidden behind a touch screen.

Comment

SF4 on IOS cheats. They're sprites.

Comment

Working...
                                X