Hard pass from me...

Comment

Do existing owners get an upgrade deal?

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
        https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-set-for-march
        Confirmed to release on 15 March 2022

Pretty much still no sign any effort has been made with it though
        “new graphics modes with up to 4K resolution, up to 60 frames per second, texture and draw distance upgrades, HDR options and raytracing, as well as offering the technical advancements of the latest console generation with faster loading times, immersive 3D audio, platform-specific features like advanced haptic feedback, and much more”
        I know everyone wants it to look like those PC mods that get headline clicks that get posted every few months but I suspect that while youtubers and forum kiddies might be "lol rockstar suck", there are significant limitations with how that engine operates on consoles (even new consoles) and what graphics settings like that do in their network games. Their networking code is very impressive considering it managed to sync players across a hugely detailed open world on the PS3 but their network code and game code is very creaky. There might be weird issues that we don't know about like how they had to patch out the parallax mapping once upon a time. I know they're made like a billion dollars off this game and have the money to rewrite parts of their engine but that is hugely risky when the game is live and relatively stable. They could do it but the risk isn't worth it.

I'm not saying this is true and I have no vested interest in defending Rockstar but saying stuff like no effort has been made when you're not actually a developer on the game means you're saying things you don't know to be true and sound like an angry online gamer. This isn't a trilogy remaster situation, this is a port of an existing live game to a new platform. They've done it before from PS3 to PS4 and it was fine and was better.

PS5 owners get GTA Online for free for the first three months which is great for me as I have the PS4 game on disk and now the online part can just sit installed for me to fire up whenever I want rather than having to swap disks. Me and my friends like to play it every so often and used to go hard on it.

Comment

I'd definitely be the last to know how the game is compiled etc but with this iteration it's become abundantly apparently it's a shill effort. It's why it's almost galling that it's referred to as Expanded and Enhanced. It would definitely be beyond fair to expect the kinds of changes that modders have made to it but that the game has been cracked and modded from back to front for years shows that Rockstar was perfectly capable of making this a more meaningful update. It clearly is knocked out just to try and retain Online players through the new machines and will undoubtedly do well but, especially if it isn't sold at a budget price, it's the definition of a release that needs to underperform.

Comment

If this game isn't native 4k and a solid 60, then it's going to get ripped apart online

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
              Do existing owners get an upgrade deal?
              I'm going to guess not...

After the shambles that is the trilogy release, the fact that Rockstar haven't bothered upgrading RDR or RDR2 for new hardware and the fact this got announced back at the original PS5 launch trailer and yet looks worse than most PC custom attempts from years past I think we all know they want us to pay full whack for a slight improvement just to reload the war chest for its sequel.

What annoys me is its not like GTA online hasn't been raking in cash... Rockstar are just greedy gits.

Comment

Its doesn't mention cost for the single player game but says this for online (so only free the PS5 gamers for the first three months) -

Plus, a new standalone version of GTA Online for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S will debut at launch — available for free for the first three months to PlayStation 5 players — making it easier than ever before for new players to experience everything GTA Online has to offer.

With all the money Rockstar have made i would have thought the thing would be a free digital update for all.

Comment

They could easily afford to rewrite huge chunks of it for ps5/xbox to make it look as good as possible, the online mode alone brings in untold millions per month. They wont though, they’ll take the quick and dirty route.
                  Last edited by fishbowlhead; 05-02-2022, 15:47.

Comment

I utterly despise the online mode as well. I loved playing through everything in the story mode when it first came out. I was addicted and it is quite rightly a masterpiece.

Online though, if you're not constantly playing it and earning lots of cash (or paying for it) the whole thing just feels like a griefers paradise. Every time I boot it up I think why waste my time and switch it off.

I know it has received some amazing support and DLC over the years but I can't help but think they should have just made the whole DLC structure more straightforward than pretend everything is free, but you've got to earn it.

Comment

If you have a few friends and play online it's good fun for a while. If you try it solo, you'll be lucky to survive for more than 3 seconds; it's chock full of asshats.

Comment

It's a free update patch and a small pr push masquerading as a new release. The only real surprise will be of the rrp is less than £50

Comment

March 15th

It features a 4k 30 mode and a Performance RT mode.

Grand Theft Auto V and Grand Theft Auto Online arrive for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S on March 15 — delivering the action-packed, blockbuster Story Mode adventure and the dynamic, ever-evolving world of GTA Online to the latest generation...

Comment

Targets 30fps in fidelity mode, have we been transported back to ps3 or something?

This game should be rinsing 4k, rt & 60fps at minimum.

Comment

4K30fps pretty much hard locks that this is another outright lazy zero effort port from Rockstar

Comment

I love how they do comparison shots to the PC at max settings but the reality is the mod community blew past that years ago and have set better benchmarks.

I wasn't buying this anyway but this is the confirmation they've done very little.

Comment

Working...
                                X