Apple Sue Amazon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apple Sue Amazon

Apple has launched a lawsuit over online retailer Amazon's use of the App Store name.

No wonder i hate Apple....morons.

Cue all Apple devices disappearing from Amazons listings

Comment

Aren't they suing Microsoft over the same thing?

Comment

No, MS are suing Apple claiming that the name shouldn't be trademarkable.

Comment

Hopefully any court worth it's salt will recognise it as a generic term and throw Apple's case out the door. It's things like this that will cost Apple their current market place in the end

Comment

To be fair, the term "app" was proliferated by Apple, and as others have borrowed the word it's become totally synonymous with almost anything that's downloadable on a device, wrongly or otherwise.

I hate the word, but I'm probably with Apple on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Tetsuo View Post
              To be fair, the term "app" was proliferated by Apple
              Since when exactly? We were using the term 'app' when I was a computer studies student 15 years ago..

Comment

Originally posted by Darwock View Post
                Since when exactly? We were using the term 'app' when I was a computer studies student 15 years ago..
                Same here.

I'm still waiting for the day that Apple sue Del Monte...

Chris

Comment

Not everyone is a computer nerd.

Comment

Same here. Companies are getting beyond the joke now.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                      Not everyone is a computer nerd.
                      Oh I see. Well I suppose somebody might as well have a go at trademarking words like "Screen saver" and "Operating System" then, eh...

Only the computer nerds used them before so it's fair enough, is that right?

Comment

News! Granny Smith sues Apple for use of the term Apple!

Comment

There is precedent for companies losing the right to trademark something because the term has become generic for all products of that type.

Hoover, for example.

Adobe are still trying to prevent 'PhotoShop' becoming the standard term for photographic manipulation, as they could lose the trademark.

In this instance Apple are trying to argue that the term 'App Store' is synonomous only with iTunes, and that people going to an 'App Store' on Amazon might believe they were on an Apple sanctioned site.

I can see them losing it, to be honest. The term is just too generic.

Comment

Originally posted by Tetsuo View Post
                            To be fair, the term "app" was proliferated by Apple, and as others have borrowed the word it's become totally synonymous with almost anything that's downloadable on a device, wrongly or otherwise.

I hate the word, but I'm probably with Apple on this.

Lets hope the court have some common sense and throw such a ridiculous suit out.

Comment

Surely Apple should be using the iStore for iApps, where you pay by iCash?

Comment

Working...
                              X