Best Joystick for PS3 & MAME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Joystick for PS3 & MAME

Apologies this may have been asked a million times, but my online shopping is confusing me.

I'm not shy spending around the ?100 mark for quality, but stick must be compatible with PC & PS3.

Was having a look at the mad catz SFIV effort with sanwa parts, though saw some negatives about a square gate?

And Hori Real Arcade Pro? Tho i see there are some wireless Hori fighter one that's probably ruled out for PC?

Do Sega do one?

Suggestions on a postcard please.
    Last edited by Baseley09; 14-04-2011, 11:33. Reason: Can't type proper

I wouldn't get a wireless stick under any circumstances anyway, there usually poorly made and contain lag. Also all PS3 USB Sticks will work on PC anyway.

In truth you cant go far wrong with the SF4 TE sticks, lovely parts and build quality and fit the budget these days. I personally use a Hori VLX, which is wonderful but sadly not cheap.

As for Sega they have the Virtua Stick High Grade, which is lovely but hard to get and will cost more then the TE and I would suggest its not worth the extra.

Comment

I agree with Shozuki. I also avoid wireless sticks. Some of them aren't too bad, but still.

Some people prefer square gates, others prefer octagonal gates - it's all down to personal preference. If you find you don't like square gates down the line it isn't too hard to swap in an octagonal gate (especially with all the guides and support online).

As for the SFIV TE stick, it's a lovely stick and a solid choice for first time stick buyers looking for quality. I still use mine now and love it.

You can also look on the shoryuken.com forums for pretty much anything you could ever want to know on sticks.

Comment

Thanks for the responses, is the Mad Catz stick you guys speak of this one?

Comment

It is indeed. There is a good write up of the differences between versions here.

Comment

Have a TE Round 2 and the Chun Li TE-S in the house, I love the TE-S personally. The TE-S has a smaller base but keeps the weight and it looks amazing

All TE sticks are really easy to open up, you can replace the gates in them in about 2 minutes. Cost about ?5 for an Octagonal one:
            The Sanwa GT-Y octagonal restrictor gate is the perfect addition to any fighting game fan's joystick. This gate will give you an improved 8-way feeling.

There's a TE in the trading section going for ?70 incase you haven't checked http://www.ntsc-uk.co.uk/showthread....-postage-in-UK
            Last edited by Adam; 14-04-2011, 16:41.

Comment

MadKatz TE (Tournament Edition) is sick, although Hori Real Arcade Pro is also pretty good.

Wireless sticks are ok (well maybe just the Hori one), but not as great as above, plus they are a pain to mod/repair. Also you pretty much need line-of-sight signal, seriously (put something between the stick and the console and you're screwed).

Comment

Working...
              X