From the BBFC to PEGI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the BBFC to PEGI

Interesting piece on Eurogamer this afternoon about the differences in the way PEGI rate games compared to the BBFC.

Later this year PEGI will become the legally enforceable ratings body for games in the UK, completely replacing the BBF…

Not taking context into account is a major loss to game rating if you ask me. I know the BBFC has it's critics, but at least they're not working to a checklist and trying to apply some proper judgement to what they're looking at.

And this matters, because PEGI takes over from the BBFC properly later this year, so it'll be the PEGI age rating that becomes the legally enforceable one.

Publishers often pressure developers to remove content to get that 'sweet spot' rating and maximise sales. That's T in the States, and 12 under the BBFC system. It sounds like getting a PEGI 12 is going to be harder than getting a BBFC one was, so I can see the potential for EU versions of games having to have minor cuts where they didn't used to need it.

(The difference in sales having a T rating in the states compared to M is *massive* if the IP isn't a proven franchise already, I don't think the difference between 12 and 16 is as big here, but it's not insignificant)

I don't think it'll make much difference overall. Most game releases for the last year or so have passed through under the PEGI ratings system and so far there's been possibly less arguments than those that fell foul of the BBFC

Comment

Apparently PEGI don't have a policy of refusing classification.

That Ironman example is comedy gold though.

Comment

If it does indeed mean games getting edited and cut then it's bad news.

Comment

This is extremely dangerous, having a pan-Euro body covering things. It means every game will end being evaluated under the criteria of the strictest, most sensitive country.

Ratings in themselves aren't a problem, but publishers desire for profit and wider sales will inevitably result in cuts - just to be on the safe side. Another good example is when Fahrenheit had all sexual scenes removed for the US release, and we in the UK had an uncut version. Could we see a similar thing in the future, where our games are also cut?

Bah! I remember the days before ratings and you could get away with all kinds of stuff. Remember Trashman on the Speccy? It'd probably get an 18 rating now because the binman shags bored hosuewives between pick-ups.
          Last edited by Sketcz; 15-04-2011, 08:20.

Comment

Can't say im too fussed, i rarely buy domestic games. All my games have Cero ratings.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
              If it does indeed mean games getting edited and cut then it's bad news.
              maybe this will become an import forum again!

Comment

Lol only if you have a time machine.

Comment

Gotta admit I was caught off guard seeing a chick getting --- in RDR with her titties swinging all over. But stuff like that keeps me coming back to Rockstar games!

Would that be cut now or what?

Comment

Anyone care to explain why PEGI think Zelda Crossbow is unsuitable for under 16s? The same as Crysis! PEGI are weird, there are tons of examples like this.

Comment

Haha Rockstar games are different though. At this point they WANT that 18 rating. Swinging titties it is! And hilariously revealed schlongs (BOGT).

Comment

Just read the article. I think PEGI are these guys:

Comment

PEGI go for 'any violence against human or humanlike enemies is a 16'. The BBFC will go down to 12 if it's clearly fantastical.

Comment

Working...
                          X