EA Join the ?54.99 club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EA Join the ?54.99 club

Fifa 12 is going to be ?54.99 when it is released later this year.

GAME and Gamestation have won exclusive rights to stock the Ultimate Edition of FIFA 12. The retailer has also revealed something arguably more interesting – that FIFA 12 will carry an RRP of ?54.99.
    Back in 2009 Activision's Bobby Kotick enraged core gamers the world over by confirming that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 would be the first standalone console game to break the ?50 RRP barrier.
    Though it's hard to specify precisely what the modern console game RRP really is, normally consumers can expect something between ?40 and ?50. Of course, savvy consumers rarely ever pay full price, such is the widespread discounting in the UK.
    MCV understands that the Ultimate Edition itself includes access to 24 gold packs of DLC for the first six months that will constantly update teams, squads and fitness.
    Interestingly, GAME has said that the SKU can be pre-ordered for ?44.99 – that's ?10 less than the normal version's full RRP.
    Article continues below
    Advertisement

"The FIFA franchise is always one of the best selling games of the year and we are delighted to offer this exclusive version of FIFA 12 to our customers," GAME and Gamestation's PR boss Neil Ashurst stated.
    "The FIFA Ultimate Team gold packs are a fantastic resource for any gamer, allowing them to play with the very latest squads, perfectly mimicking real-life. GAME and Gamestation are offering football fans the opportunity to change any score for free."
    MCV has contacted EA for clarification.

Wankers. They release Fifa 11 that is pretty much broken across consoles with micro pausing on PS3 and horrific lag on 360.

Is it any wonder why I hate this generation?

Comment

For certain games i have no problem with this, there is an odd attitude to software costs and for something like FIFA that lasts me a year with 100+ hours of playtime its not bad value.

Comment

I do agree with you Merf, Fifa gives me a years worth of play. However the broken mess the Fifa 11 is, the worst online version I can remember makes me feel rather aggrieved at the price.

Comment

Going to do the sensible thing and not preorder any of the footy games this year. No way I'd pay that much money for this. There also happens to be a crapload of AAA games coming out so I won't mind. Hopefully PES is fixed and is ?17.99 a week after launch

Comment

I suspect it's all some charade to manipulate prices and for selling to stores. Both Fifa and Call of Duty have been subject to massive day one price cuts when they've launched. I doubt that happens without the backing of the publishers

Comment

Back in 2009 Activision's Bobby Kotick enraged core gamers the world over by confirming that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 would be the first standalone console game to break the ?50 RRP barrier.
              Gotta love how it was also the first game to really spark a supermarket war and sell for ?25.99 on release day!

Comment

?55 ****ing quid for a rehash of last year's game. Lololol.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                  ?55 ****ing quid for a rehash of last year's game. Lololol.
                  Is this attitude the lazy view and the same as wrighty bouncing up and down oa sofa shouting about pride and pace and sticking it to them ?

Whilst a chunk of any annual update will be spent on new kits, stadia, player tattoos and haircuts i'm sure the large dev team do more than sit there and simply rehash things

Dont feel the need to pay for kits & tats its simple, stick with the last one, if you do want it there is a price.

Nobody is ever 'ripped off' because nobody ever has to buy it

Comment

Oh I haven't bought a Fifa since 2003 for the Cube. PES man, when I played football games. And I know there's more to it than a few name changes, but really ?55 RRP is just ludicrous.

This is probably all just a marketing ploy though, day 1 for ?30 in Tesco no doubt. There will be people who of course will be satisfied paying ?55, but I think it's too much for any new title, let alone an annually updated one.

Next they'll be charging you a sub to play online somehow, as Activision's "Elite" CoD package has done. More content sure, but I guess if you like Fifa.

So yeah, a lazy view of sorts.

Comment

Fifa 11 wasn't discounted last year like Fifa 10 was.

Comment

Casual consumers
                        EA
                        Last edited by Neil; 06-06-2011, 09:50. Reason: Removed video, caused offence to others

Comment

A ?60 SNES game from 1992 comes to ?86 in today's money so this is a bargain.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                            Fifa 11 wasn't discounted last year like Fifa 10 was.
                            Yeah? Oh my bad, time flies. heh

Originally posted by Profit View Post
                            A ?60 SNES game from 1992 comes to ?86 in today's money so this is a bargain.
                            But a SNES cart takes a lot more money to produce than a compact disc.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                              But a SNES cart takes a lot more money to produce than a compact disc.
                              Surely you're joking. It costs over ?4 million a year just for EA to be able to use the official FIFA license.

Comment

Working...
                              X