triangles/coloured strips on gamecube spines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

triangles/coloured strips on gamecube spines

I think this has come up before (I probably even read the answer to my question) but I can't find the thread.

I'm wondering what the go is with those coloured triangles on the spines of gamecube games mean. I always thought it had something to do with what part of the PAL regions they came from. All Australian games have a dark burgundyish colour, and for ages, all english language games I bought from anywhere in Europe had a green one. However, I now have 2 with a pink triangle on them.

It's not a big deal, but for the sake of consistency, I'd probably go to the effort of tracking down replacements with a green strip IF I knew they existed. So, my question is, are there any PAL copies of Ikaruga or DBZ budokai with green triangles, or for some reason, do only pink versions exist.

My NTSC-U games have no triangle at all

Comment

Did a google search and apparently it was just a colour coding scheme for quick reference in warehouses so they knew which ones where for with regions. Based on what came up in the search purple represented that the game was suitable for all regions so there's likely no green triangle version for those ones.

Comment

I vaguely remember it's a PAL region thing, and the colour is shorthand for which languages are on the disc (or maybe it's just for the manuals?)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ono View Post
          My NTSC-U games have no triangle at all
          Yeah neither to Japanese ones. Must be a PAL idiosyncrasy

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
          Did a google search and apparently it was just a colour coding scheme for quick reference in warehouses so they knew which ones where for with regions. Based on what came up in the search purple represented that the game was suitable for all regions so there's likely no green triangle version for those ones.
          Originally posted by Flabio View Post
          I vaguely remember it's a PAL region thing, and the colour is shorthand for which languages are on the disc (or maybe it's just for the manuals?)
          That sounds plausible. I checked the back of the case and both Ikaruga and DBZ have the blurb in multiple languages.

Just to check though, does anyone have copies of either of these games with a green strip?

Comment

Originally posted by wikipedia
            The boxes of Nintendo games (NES, Game Boy, Nintendo 64, Nintendo GameCube, Nintendo DS and Wii) from PAL territories all have a little coloured triangle on their spines, but in each territory it's a different colour (to show the region that copy of the game came from), Some common ones are: Green = UK, Pink = Spain, Red = France, Light Blue = Italy, Dark Blue = Germany, Brown = Australia. There are 49 different colours. As well as geographic region it also has to do with the language of the box art and booklets; though PAL region Nintendo games are made in Germany, the triangles show the region that the game is shipped to
            That's apparently a citation from an issue of Nintendo Power.

Comment

I always thought that it was directly linked to the level of localisation on the box/disc/manual

Green is English disc/box
              Purple is English disc / European language manuals
              Yellow is English disc/ Scandinavian language manuals

It's something like that anyway, obviously where they are shipped to comes into that as you don't want English only versions in france etc.

I think it was more common to see different colours on gamecube games in the uk thanks to all the grey importing that went on back then.

Comment

I had an Italian TSFP once at that definately had a blue triangle so that Nintendo Power thing kind of holds up, but my ISS 2 has the pink triangle and is definately not just Spanish.

Good question though as it's something I have always wondered!

Comment

Working...
                X