The Acorn Revolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Acorn Revolution

How would you ressurrect a company of this ilk?

If you had to choose anywhere in the world to do this where would you go?

Canada? UK? USA? Continental Europe?

Would you think it would be possible or impossible

See Pi initiative

What steps need to be taken here to ensure success?
    Last edited by Valiant; 17-08-2011, 14:59.

Acorn, as in the old computer manufacturer? For a start, you'd have to license the name off whoever owns it at the moment.

Comment

I guess it depends on the level you'd expect it to succeed at and in what way.

Despite what processor work they did and the Risc OS etc. I'd imagine for most people (of a certain age) Acorn = BBC Micro (and maybe the Archimedes, if you were at school exactly at that time) . So, what would you do with a new Acorn? Something like the new C64; a modern PC in a vintage case, packed with a load of old Beeb games? Not much market outside of the UK and some tiny pockets in Europe I'd guess. Was the BBC Micro even licensed and produced outside of the UK?

Comment

Valiant, have you just OD'd on nostalgia as a result of this: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...braben-article

;p

Comment

Do not read Eurogamer often much prefer Game Informer, Gamasutra, Develop, sprinkles of Edge, VG24/7 AIAS and Ars Technica plus Techsheets

Do read GI Biz a great deal though as it is an amazing site with some of the best journalism on games on the planet and Industry. Gamers occasionally now it is on the map. Seems a good topical question given the Foundation and Pi are trying to do exactly that albeit in a new way and also why does sombody not get ARM involved in this Acorn Tablet with Linux interface next step. Where will it be manufactured though hmmm!

Thanks for that link though looks like a good one and totally topical to some of my work today.
          Last edited by Valiant; 17-08-2011, 16:21.

Comment

Working...
          X