MechWarrior Online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MechWarrior Online

Remember the MechWarrior reboot that surfaced about two years ago and immediately halted by Harmony Gold over the Warhammer/Tomahawk seen in the only trailer released?

Well, Smith & Tinker and Piranha Games have announced MechWarrior Online, a freemium 'Mech simulation game set just before the invasion of the Clans (I wonder what will the first expansion be about...).
    Developers are quick to reassure that anything giving an edge on the battlefield will have to be purchased with in-game money and not real world currency and that this is going to be a proper MW game, not a simple shooter.

The official website details some of the main concepts the game is centered around and just a single art piece of a redesigned Atlas. PC Gamer has more concept arts and a brief interview with the staff.

Unlike the previously announced reboot, MWO will be a PC exclusive and will be available in the second half of 2012.

[personal notes: during the interview the developers state that joystick support is "a strong probability"...it shouldn't be. HOTAS have to be supported if you are calling this a 'Mech sim.
    Also, playing as mercenaries again?
    And still getting the pre-3050 Atlas LRM racks wrong?]
    Last edited by briareos_kerensky; 31-10-2011, 21:13.

Teaser...on line. And if that's truly a Leopard class dropship, its doors should be on the side, not the bottom.

Comment

Interview with the team.
      I'm not particularly keen of the freemium model, especially if it turns out to be like in World of Tanks.

And someone really need to explain me why 3049. There's Tukkayd or even better the Great Refusal or the whole Jihad era to use where players can chose their side...I can understand that the first expansion will introduce the Clans, but really, it's since MW2 that I haven't been able to play as a Clanner.

Comment

In-game trailer.

Nothing that the previous interview has already shown. I wonder if there will be Panthers and Centurions.

Comment

In-game footage (can hardly be called "trailer").

Looks promising, though I'm still wary of its freemium nature.

Comment

i love mech games but always found that destroying other mechs took way to long

Comment

Whoever paid for a premium package ("Founder Package") received early access to the closed beta. As of today, Piranha is randomly handling out closed beta keys to selected few that subscribe on the game's website.

Comment

They sent me an email saying "Why aren't you playing", then sent me another saying "Oops that should have only gone to beta testers, as an apology here's access"

Comment

Has anybody played this. Just found this today as I have been looking for a game that can live up to MechAssault! Thinking about this or Hawken.

Comment

Originally posted by GluedOnBeard View Post
                    Has anybody played this. Just found this today as I have been looking for a game that can live up to MechAssault! Thinking about this or Hawken.
                    If your standard for BattleTech games is MechAssault, then it's very low.
                    I've been part of the beta since it was close, and it has excellent Mech-to-Mech combat, weapon balancing is very good, though the omission of rear firing weapons and physical attacks make assault 'Mechs too vulnerable to faster, more agile 'Mechs. Unfortunately developers introduced LostTech (XL Engines, ER lasers, double heat sinks, etc etc) very early on, rather than sticking with 3025 technology...it partially makes sense if taken under BattleTech storyline progression but if you don't pay, it will be very hard to get a piece of adavanced technology, which is the problem of many free-to-play games.
                    And of course, it lacks single player. And Clan 'Mechs.

Comment

I don't know why I loved Mech Assault so much, I think it was partly because of the people on there and we had such a good team on it, everything was just 'right'.

I'll have a look at both then and see which one I like best, sounds like they have got most things right!

Comment

MechWarrior Online has went into alpha stage and they have released a trailer to celebrate this achievement, http://www.computerandvideogames.com...-with-trailer/

Comment

Uhmm...alpha is before beta, a state in which MWO has for quite some time. Now the game has officially launched, losing any greek letter status.

Comment

Apparently they launched it without a lot of promised features?

Comment

Working...
                            X