No announcement yet.

The Next Gen Prediction thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not too fussed about 1080p myself. I find myself less concerned about resolution than I used to be ever since I purchased a 720p projector and have realised that even on a 106" screen films look stunning - at "only" 720. I'm now more inclined to think 720 as a standard resolution but with heaps of AA and AF to get a solid look. Resolution in games though is quite different to "real life rendering".

60fps must be the target. You never know, they may give you the option in some games - 1080p 30fps, or 720p 60fps. I know which one I'd prefer.

Comment

Well that's it, a DVD of a film still looks real and that isn't even HD.

We may get big push on 48fps games next gen as that is the next big cinema innovation and Sony will no doubt be trying to get more TVs sold.
      Last edited by EvilBoris; 13-11-2011, 13:32.

Comment

Yep. Perfect lighting and infinite AA

Aliasing and pop-up are big issues for me this gen.

Comment

I want 1080p/720p at 60fps and zero or low loading times.
          Considering the rumours about the next xbox, I reckon that the Wii U and Xbox 3 will be performance wise quiet similar. As for sony's PSfour, I don't expect it will come out soon, unless HVD will be released sooner than expected. With some devs saying that the ps3 has much more still to offer and sony known to change medium with every new console, I cannot see it being released before 2016.

Comment

2016? lol. No chance.

Comment

Discs will still be there but that will be their last generation.

Comment

Shenmue 3 will be THE launch title for the new Xbox console.

Comment

For games it wouldn't surprise me but in film I'm expecting 48fps to flop.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post

60fps must be the target. You never know, they may give you the option in some games - 1080p 30fps, or 720p 60fps. I know which one I'd prefer.
                    Yeah I couldn't really careless about 1080p, but would like to see all next gen games locked to 60 fps and would like to see something done in the console to cut out loading times (if it is possible) Like to see a ton of Ram in the console too so we have an end to low res textures that's seen in so many games these days

Comment

My predictions:

- 1080p as target resolution
                      - 30fps as target, for "Shiny" games. After all, devs still we want things to look as good as possible
                      - More memory
                      - Fast Storage, SSD as an option
                      - Better GPU, something like a Geforce 560 today
                      - Minimum 4 core CPU, more likely 6 cores
                      - Custom CPU, explotinging higher bandwidth than a typical PC type CPU
                      - Games will launch on demand the same time as retail, with background downloading in advance
                      - Retail games won't work without internet activation, ensuring launch day parity.
                      - 3D will be a strategic pilar
                      - Social media interaction will be a strategic pilar
                      - Online will continue as a core service
                      - Games content & distribution will diversify with steam/origin making it's way to at least one platform as "Standard."
                      - The first machines will be power hungry, loud and suffer high failure rates
                      - The first games will not exploit more than 50% of the potential of the systems
                      - Kinect will be a core feature of the MS platform, built in.
                      - Controllers will be similar, but have motion control inbuilt
                      - Retro games will be sold AGAIN on app stores
                      - The desktop will be customisable with "Apps"
                      - Cloud computing will be leveraged for online saves
                      - Media functions will remain a core strategy

These are my tips!

Comment

I'd be happy with 60fps and this gens visuals.

Comment

This is an interesting read

Until they can really match up to that by pushing gameplay forward with superior physics, AI and interactivity and have markedly better visuals at an affordable price then they should hold off. I'd hate to have waited all this time to only get a minor step up that didn't really change anything in a meaningful way.

Comment

Originally posted by capcom_suicide View Post
                            - 30fps as target, for "Shiny" games. After all, devs still we want things to look as good as possible
                            Nothing to do with what devs think, and everything to do with what sells.

Comment

The developers pushing boundaries are likely to be the indie guys. As flabio says, devs in large companies probably aren't allowed to make the game they want to make. I wonder if rockstar actually wanted to make gta5? I mean maybe they did but you'd have to imagine they'd like to have tried something new again if money wasn't an issue.

I like me some 60fps and have had to go to pc to get it. Most gamers don't care and 30 is what they know and they're fine with it sadly.

Comment

Originally posted by Shoju View Post
                                This is an interesting read

Until they can really match up to that by pushing gameplay forward with superior physics, AI and interactivity and have markedly better visuals at an affordable price then they should hold off. I'd hate to have waited all this time to only get a minor step up that didn't really change anything in a meaningful way.
                                I don't understand this argument. All those things you want require more processing power. Therefore you need a better console to do it. Flabio has commented that he is always fighting for a share of processing power to do his AI routines. Maybe next gen, he'll get the same percentage of processor power, but if it's 4 times the power, be able to do 4 times as much.

See, game devs can't develop these more advanced physics, AI and interactivity without having a platform to develop them on. So again, we're back waiting until the console is launched until they can start tinkering and coming up with things. And of course, the first generation of titles won't be all that revolutionary, but eventually they'll get there. Remember when the 360 launched? Graphical upgrades, but that was fine, because within a year or two we were getting true generational jump titles. And now we're getting quite astonishing stuff.

Every generation is the same. You have to ride the initial year or two, take the titles for what they are, and know things will improve. This will always be the case. The people who want these impossible leaps in first generation titles should probably wait a couple of years after launch, when the games are great and the consoles cheaper

Comment

Working...
                                X