Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DJ Sacks weekly appreciation thread: Crazy Taxi

A bit late i know, sorry.

Common lets make sommmmeeee CRAZZZYYY Money!

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Crazy Taxi has to be the game that made people buy a dreamcast. Id never heard of it before it came out, saw it in arcades but never really paid any attention to it, then saw the previews, was interested but didnt know much about it. The DC mags raved and raved about it so i got it on launch day. And wow, what a great game.

The intro really draws you in, say what you like about Offspring, but their music fits in perfectly with this game. The way the car and camera are timed in with the music, the bright world, lots of people jumping about. It really does look great and makes you want to play it.

The graphics and bright, big and colourful, and full of memorable locations such as the church, the first station, the airport and all the sponsored shops 'Can you take me to the KFC!'. The Taxis are big and brash and have their own identity, the characters and full of personality from the fat guys who always want to go to the football stadium to the priest who goes to the church.

The sound is great too, i love the music, my sort of thing i guess but it really does fit in with the game and make you want to speed it as you jump over hills and cars and smash through objects which scatter the streets. The little catch phrases each person has are still funny even today, the priest always makes me smile telling me to slow down.

Theres only two levels but they are huge! The dreamcast only level is not as good at first as the original arcade one, but once you know the routes it does have a lot more too it, like driving under water or jumping across the bridge.

The handerling is nice and twitchy too, pulling off boosts is easy and is needed. Lots of practise can be gained in the Crazy box mode, a great party mode if ever there was one. Its a shame after this Sega lost their magic on the Crazy taxi franchise, but this is still one top notch game, even though its an arcade game, you can play it for hours on end.

I actually prefer Crazy Taxi 2, yea the crazy jump may be daft but it is more fun. All good games IMHO, Iceman rocks!

Lets go make some KRRRAZZZZYYYY money!

Comment

The marketing campaign was cool as well. They drove one of the cars around london. I was lucky enough to see it. It was huuuuge.

Comment

Have to agree. It was (is) a great game. Absolutely perfect for a quick pick up and play to fill a spare half hour. I filled a lot of spare half hours...

Comment

I thought the music was really bad and always had it turned off. I suppose it's just a case of what floats your boat. What was the music on the arcade original like? I expect it was the usual F355 style "rock" in-house stuff.

I really liked the mini games on Crazy Taxi. They were a great way to learn the various facets that the game offered e.g. the crazy boost. IMO they were even better in CT2 especially the one where you had to hop between the arches.

Comment

Originally posted by goldbricker
            I thought the music was really bad and always had it turned off. I suppose it's just a case of what floats your boat. What was the music on the arcade original like? I expect it was the usual F355 style "rock" in-house stuff.
            then you expect wrong...

YA YA YA YA YA...
            it fitted.

Comment

I love Crazy Taxi, Its one of my all time favorite games.

My Score
              Arcade Mode Default Settings

Comment

its a fantastic game that I played to death on the DC. I was surprised how different the game is when using a wheel compared to the pad. My local Super Bowl has just got this in (talk about being late) and I was bloody awful with a steering wheel and pedals. It is just impossible to judge the crazy dash and drift. Am I just too used to the DC version or was it notoriously difficult to do those 2 moves on the arcade machine?

Comment

Originally posted by lordcookie
                  its a fantastic game that I played to death on the DC. I was surprised how different the game is when using a wheel compared to the pad. My local Super Bowl has just got this in (talk about being late) and I was bloody awful with a steering wheel and pedals. It is just impossible to judge the crazy dash and drift. Am I just too used to the DC version or was it notoriously difficult to do those 2 moves on the arcade machine?
                  When I was in Uni halls last year we got it in for a short while and like you I just couldn't get used to crazy dashing and drifting with the wheel and pedals. I also found the wheel to be a little too sensitive.

Comment

Working...
                  X