No announcement yet.

New Vs Second Hand purchasing habit poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100% new. Don't remember the last time I bought anything second hand.

Comment

I've said 100% though I do buy the odd second hand game but very rarely. As others have said, the prices drop so quick nowadays that second hand isn't necessarily that much cheaper and at least buying new, even if it is heavily discounted, you're giving something back to the developer.

Comment

Is buying heavily discounted games really giving back to the devs? After all it is unlikely if a game is so discounted that it will be restocked. The devs surely get the money from shipped items and not ones sold at retail.

Not sure if that is correct.

Comment

I wonder if anyone will tick the last option. Surely games are much more fun to play than merely talk about?
          We buy them new so we can talk about having no time to actually play them.

Anyway, I buy new. Second hadn would be nice if Gamestops and other videogame stores won't charge nearly as much as a new game for badly kept second hand copies.

Comment

I buy new always but it's largely to do with not knowing where that second hand stuff has been. You just never know who has wiped that game box on their crotch. Also, I like new stuff, perfect boxes etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              I buy new always but it's largely to do with not knowing where that second hand stuff has been. You just never know who has wiped that game box on their crotch. Also, I like new stuff, perfect boxes etc.
              ^ This man speaks the truth.

100% new for me. My problem with second hand is the condition the games are in. They are frickin' terrible. I don't get why discs have got so so many scratches, what the heck do they do with them? Scratch their back? I once traded in a year old copy of Pro Evo for the new one that had been released that day and the girl at the counter claimed that she had never seen such a spotless disc being traded in. Not just no scratches, I'm saying there wasn't probably a dust speck on that disc. Definitely a moment I'm proud of.

Comment

Originally posted by Btang84 View Post
                100% new for me. My problem with second hand is the condition the games are in. They are frickin' terrible. I don't get why discs have got so so many scratches, what the heck do they do with them? Scratch their back? I once traded in a year old copy of Pro Evo for the new one that had been released that day and the girl at the counter claimed that she had never seen such a spotless disc being traded in. Not just no scratches, I'm saying there wasn't probably a dust speck on that disc. Definitely a moment I'm proud of.
                I completely agree and have had the same comments over the past when part exchanging!

I like to take care of anything I own and it’s not OCD, it’s just wanting to look after something. I always put discs back in boxes, be careful when opening a cardboard N64 box to not crease it and always put something back on a shelf. If you take care of it, it won’t stop working unexpectedly, break or result in you losing something.

Back in the 1990’s, I always used to buy second hand simply because there was no other option when buying a game when it was more than 1 year old and prices were too high. That started to change during the PlayStation to Dreamcast era when I got a part time job but games were still hard to find if you did not buy them on opening week. During the Xbox 360 generation, game prices online were beating retail and it was no longer difficult to buy older titles. Combine this with how competitive online stores are and the benefits of buying brand new and sealed copies online, ranging in prices from 99p to ?29.99, and there is no longer a need for me to buy second hand.

Once I’ve finished with a current generation game I usually sell it on Bordersdown and see the benefit as my stuff is virtually brand new! However, I do like buying a sealed copy and with game prices almost being worthless in comparison to 5 years ago, there’s little difference between them. Of course, I would not touch a Game or Gamestation 2nd hand pile with a barge pole anymore!

Comment

Working...
                X