No announcement yet.

Game & Gamestation: GAME credit woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't go in very often but whenever I do people are either buying brand new games or consoles. Guess someone's buying the tat.

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
      my local independent games shop had a Game open up in the same town and as I knew the owners of the indie well, it was heart breaking seeing Game slowly suck the public to their shop
      I felt the same about an indie that sadly ain't around any more (Chips) but our current indie store wronged me once and in doing so lost a customer.

Comment

Thing is, as and when Game finally implode, and that they will, they wont be replaced on the high street by indies again, rent and business rates prohibit any kind of hope of running a profitable business like that on the high street again, so there will just be nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
          Second, they need to get rid of all the pointless ****. Just sell games and consoles of the current generation for a start. Stop stocking trinkets and crap merch.
          Look at the highstreet though; How many shops in your local area sell physcial digital products anymore, like games, films and music? The market has fallen out and if you do want them, Amazon have them lined up and ready to go. Game probally make most of their money on stuff like those toys and accessories so need them to stay alive.

Comment

As soon as they go, I think Indies will make a comeback. The cost of rent must be tumbling now that high streets are full of charity shops.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
              As soon as they go, I think Indies will make a comeback. The cost of rent must be tumbling now that high streets are full of charity shops.
              I doubt it. You'll just have more take aways and Kebab shops

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
                I take no pleasure in honest, hard working people loosing their jobs, but as a company; I hope they go to the wall.
                Little nasty that but Game killed my local indie game store that I loved to shop with and talk with the manager and his son about games. It wasn't just Game that wrote on manuals in a black pen, my local Woolworths used to do for brand new Master system games back in the day.

The worst part of Game is how they killed my favourite online shop Gameplay. I used to love that place

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                  The worst part of Game is how they killed my favourite online shop Gameplay. I used to love that place
                  I remember a weird games shop called 'Future Zone' that was quite small and had walls of monitors showing off the latest games. It was also quite dark and dingy with metal racks holding the games. A very strange shop that wasn't around for long.

Speaking of Gameplay, there was a similar chain called 'Special Reserve' that was mail order, but also had shops. I remember visiting one a few times and thinking it was really nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                    I remember a weird games shop called 'Future Zone' that was quite small and had walls of monitors showing off the latest games. It was also quite dark and dingy with metal racks holding the games. A very strange shop that wasn't around for long.
                    Yep, I remember that. Had a CGI face for the logo?

Comment

Speaking of Gameplay, there was a similar chain called 'Special Reserve' that was mail order, but also had shops. I remember visiting one a few times and thinking it was really nice.
                      I remember Future Zone, I think it was then turned in Games Master zone latter on in Cardiff. We also had a shop called Virtuality (or something like that) That had one of those Virtuality Arcade games in it and stocked loads of games too, that was fun. I also remember when we had a Virgin Megastore and in the early 1990's that would also stock import games.

I used to be a member of Special Reserve and get their magazines. Great shop but Gameplay were cheaper and always looked to send games out a day or 2 early before their Street Dates (which I loved) same Game bought them out . Since we're slagging off Game I remember the good days when Games Station was a great shop to go too and have 2 shops in Cardiff alone, one of which used to be in Debenhams.

Also miss the days when WH Smiths and Boots used to stock games, loved going there for my ZX Spectrum stuff. Toys R Us used to be epic for Master system games back into day too.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                        Yep, I remember that. Had a CGI face for the logo?
                        I think so, but my memories of it are very vague. I think each shop only had one employee because it was so small. Thinking about it is like remembering a strange dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                          same Game bought them out .
                          Was Electronics Boutique owned by the same people as GAME? I remember EB being quite a big thing, then they changed to GAME after a few years. What was the big rival to GAME that went out of business a few years ago?

Comment

I think so, but my memories of it are very vague. I think each shop only had one employee because it was so small. Thinking about it is like remembering a strange dream.
                            The one in Cardiff had a picture of a character that looked something like the Sheev Palpatine from Star Wars LOL
                            The shop in Cardiff was really big too

Comment

Was Electronics Boutique owned by the same people as GAME? I remember EB being quite a big thing, then they changed to GAME after a few years. What was the big rival to GAME that went out of business a few years ago?
                              they got bought out pretty much like game-station did

Comment

IMO the only kind of bricks and mortar videogame/movie retail that will grow is CeX and similar shops. They seem to thrive in London, there are local copycats in South London like BASE which are the exact same idea - a mix of phones, games, tablets, Blu-Rays and computer hardware, with everything second hand.

They're not great, but they're practically all we've got at this point. And at least they don't stock Funko Pops.

Comment

Working...
                                X