No announcement yet.

Game & Gamestation: GAME credit woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They've had next to nothing in stock for weeks because their financial year ended last week so they haven't spent the money on replenishment stock so there's more in the bank come the final day (or something like that), this happens at the same time every year, admittedly it's worse this year in terms of stock available in store, but not an unusual situatuon, things will pick up now (getting tired of answering the phone to questions about skylander figures ha)

News of the lifeline will actually disappoint some people on here who would love to see them go under for their own morbid satisfaction, for all their faults (and yes there are many, change is needed), a few thousand people rely on them being around for an income however meagre.

Comment

Nicely put .

Comment

Well it seems that Game are probably going to sell off their international business,, to make sure they have some cash flow for their lenders.

Comment

I make no secret of my hate for game but I don't hate any normal guy or girl doing their job I hate the twats above for making you have to harass the customer the second they walk in probably due to targets or some bollocks hopefully it will give the upper lot a kick up the arse and a reality check and let the stores go back to what they once were a nice place to shop where you could get anything demo'd without the poor staff member being bollicked

Comment

Newcastle city centre has 3 game and 1 gamestation all within a few minutes walk no wonder they are not doing so well.

If Game does go under we still have Grainger Games and supermarkets for impulse gaming buys.

Comment

That's the laugh of it, they'll probably be twice as vigourous in making staff harass customers to buy things when it's clear as glass that the approach doesn't work.

Comment

That's good news they got a reprieve. I said the same on a thread a couple of years ago on here about Game and will say it again. I find the vitriol towards them very odd from a gaming community. How could an avid UK gamer wish for the failure of the UK's largest game shop chain..
                Last time I checked they were not supporting sweat shops in the third world or selling fur coats made from endangered species! So their prices may be a bit higher than online but that's to cover overheads. And as for offering low trade in prices, have a look at amazons latest trade prices for a real wake up.
                As for the complaints about being asked if you would like to buy a guide etc. I find the very traditional polite "no thanks" usually works

Comment

Originally posted by booth83 View Post
                  They've had next to nothing in stock for weeks because their financial year ended last week so they haven't spent the money on replenishment stock so there's more in the bank come the final day (or something like that), this happens at the same time every year, admittedly it's worse this year in terms of stock available in store, but not an unusual situatuon, things will pick up now (getting tired of answering the phone to questions about skylander figures ha)
                  Ahh okay. Thanks for explaining. My password reset hasn't turned up after 18 hours of requesting it so I just took that, the headline and lack of stock and put 2 + 2 and got 5.

EDIT: Thinking about it, how long will they be without that stock on line? surely they are loosing out on a load of sales as punters buy from HMV online etc? is this normal business practise for online retailers?
                  Last edited by 'Press Start'; 03-02-2012, 07:49.

Comment

Originally posted by davek22 View Post
                    That's good news they got a reprieve. I said the same on a thread a couple of years ago on here about Game and will say it again. I find the vitriol towards them very odd from a gaming community. How could an avid UK gamer wish for the failure of the UK's largest game shop chain..
                    Last time I checked they were not supporting sweat shops in the third world or selling fur coats made from endangered species! So their prices may be a bit higher than online but that's to cover overheads. And as for offering low trade in prices, have a look at amazons latest trade prices for a real wake up.
                    As for the complaints about being asked if you would like to buy a guide etc. I find the very traditional polite "no thanks" usually works
                    Because most people enjoy seeing suffering on a sick level thanks to the de-sensitising of our empathy over the decades? thats my guess. Bit deep for the thread but hey.

As for Game selling guides with their games I agree. IMO it is No different from someone trying to sell you a tie with your shirt you just purchased. I don't mind people trying to link sell to me depending on the tone and manner in which they ask.

Comment

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
                      That's the laugh of it, they'll probably be twice as vigourous in making staff harass customers to buy things when it's clear as glass that the approach doesn't work.
                      True, unfortunately for them it that one thing that makes them the very last place I go if I'm looking for something

Comment

The mail order is rubbish in terms of postage speed, you can order something from Shopto at 5pm, free postage, and still get it next day, order from game pay ?5.00 postage and it takes longer.

They did seem to have a monopoly on some "special" edition games, but other retailers seemed to have got in on that recently, for example, Zavii with Resident Evil 3DS. I think if they just closed all their stores and went totally online and offered as good a mail order as shopto they could do pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by SUMIRE View Post
                          The mail order is rubbish in terms of postage speed, you can order something from Shopto at 5pm, free postage, and still get it next day, order from game pay ?5.00 postage and it takes longer.

They did seem to have a monopoly on some "special" edition games, but other retailers seemed to have got in on that recently, for example, Zavii with Resident Evil 3DS. I think if they just closed all their stores and went totally online and offered as good a mail order as shopto they could do pretty well.
                          Strange this for me, I order from game online quite abit because I normally get games a day early with .99p delivery! Unless thats just pre-orders.

I have no bother with them trying to sell me other stuff, its just like any other shop if you ask me. Walking round you always get a somebody say "Can I help you?" or when you buy somthing they will try and flog you a guide, msp's, or live depending on what your buying. But like you say a nice "No, thanks" always puts a end to that!

I think we kinda need game to be alive, that way online shops etc will always have lower prices than the high street. If anything if this gives game a reason to lower there prices, we might see even lower prices online!

Comment

To be fair, apart from the name and the top 10/20 chart per console they pretty much are just like cash converters that is the reality.

Comment

Originally posted by djtickle View Post
                              Strange this for me, I order from game online quite abit because I normally get games a day early with .99p delivery! Unless thats just pre-orders.

I have no bother with them trying to sell me other stuff, its just like any other shop if you ask me. Walking round you always get a somebody say "Can I help you?" or when you buy somthing they will try and flog you a guide, msp's, or live depending on what your buying. But like you say a nice "No, thanks" always puts a end to that!

I think we kinda need game to be alive, that way online shops etc will always have lower prices than the high street. If anything if this gives game a reason to lower there prices, we might see even lower prices online!
                              I think that is just pe-orders, which they seem reasonable with.

Comment

My thoughts are exactly like evilthecatuk's. I dont wish redundancy upon anyone, & this always effects those on the frontline rather than the idiots further up the line making all the bonehead decisions. I've been made redundant once & it was a shock & not a very nice experience, but even I knew that it was nothing to do with what I had done & was due to those above who had no idea how to run a company.

I think its more to do with the fact that they got greedy. They bought up all their competitors for the obvious reason of controlling the market & slapping whatever price tag they wanted on their goods. People werent stupid & realised what they were up to.
                                You'd think that a game specific store would give back more to the people who buy & have bought from them since the early yrs of Future Zone/EB with at least some decent offers instead of RRP on games, giving ****e prices for trade-ins & then sticking those games back out on the shelf for almost RRP. I have actually traded in more games at amazon than at GAME because they offered me almost double what GAME were willing to give.

When I worked at GAME you were told to ask open ended questions in order to make sure that you dont get a "no" response. You were also told to push add ons & if a customer/dad/mum picked up a duff game you were encouraged to tell the customer that it was a good game when inside you knew you just wanted to say "dont get that duffer, buy this instead"

Comment

Working...
                                X