Raspberry Pi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FSW View Post
    It can't do ANYTHING that a desktop PC (that schools already have) can't already do with a few free software downloads.
    Actually it can - it can be restored and up and running again within a couple of minutes after someone completely trashes the OS (although I might give you a pass on Live CDs ).

However, after having had mine for a couple of weeks, it's definitely not ready currently for education. It needs time for the bugs to be ironed out.

I'd like it to fail because the last thing I need are loads of whipper-snappers vying for jobs at a quarter of my rates
    Last edited by MartyG; 13-06-2012, 20:08.

Comment

Lol! The solution to the threat of youngsters undercutting you is to just be way more awesome at what you do than everyone else!!!

Comment

If it were not for the bean counters that may well be true

Comment

Yeah you need the right management for that to work!

Comment

It's great how things are progressing. Someone has found a reason why the SDHC speeds are poor and unreliable which is related to the speed the SDHC cards are clocked at. The patched kernel that I tried improved speeds by a factor of 4 so looking forward to this being implemented.

Comment

paid for mine three weeks yesterday and still no sign

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                Actually it can - it can be restored and up and running again within a couple of minutes after someone completely trashes the OS (although I might give you a pass on Live CDs ).
                Good point although it's funny, in my years of teaching and running many different programming languages, IDEs trying all sorts of stuff and letting the kids experiment that has never been a problem .......... ever!

Comment

It's because they're not torrenting pr0n like our relatives/etc whose laptops mysteriously stop working

Comment

Anyone else still dabble with their Pi?

Thought this test was great

and the follow up article here

Love the ten second jump video in the second link.

Comment

I'm monitoring the temps of my two beer fermenting fridges.
                      It's so easy to interface to devices via the GPIO. I'm using 1-wire sensors which are ?1 each
                      The Pi is also serving these pages live.

Comment

Excellent stuff, I've got one set up as XBMC/Catch-up player in the bedroom and need to put the other Pi to use.

Comment

Two year bump, anyone still using a Pi regularly? if so what for?

Ours still gets used now and again, for streaming etc.

Tempted to buy the new model with the quad core chip and 1GB memory for a dabble. Need to find an exciting project for one.

Comment

Yes, my original Model B is currently serving as a DNS and Web server.

My Pi 2 is serving as a remote switch for IP cameras and for cold booting my router if it loses connection and I can't remote in.

My Odroid C1 is running as a streaming device mostly and the odd bit of emulation.

The Pi 2 is way more powerful and usable than the old model.
                            Last edited by MartyG; 14-08-2015, 12:33.

Comment

I got the Pi 2 a couple of months ago, mainly to dabble and try as a retro machine.
                              Installed Retropie on mine and really liking it. Runs most systems pre-N64, some systems like Neogeo and MSX I'm having issues with though.
                              I'm initerested in getting one of Picade also at some point but with a 12" screen.

Comment

Originally posted by VR46 View Post
                                Two year bump, anyone still using a Pi regularly? if so what for?

Ours still gets used now and again, for streaming etc.

Tempted to buy the new model with the quad core chip and 1GB memory for a dabble. Need to find an exciting project for one.
                                Bought a couple of Pi's since early 2014. Both in the lounge 24/7 running RASplex. I've replaced the Model B with the Pi2 which is much smoother and more responsive as you can imagine. Have played around with Emulation Station on the original but couldn't get ROMs to load. So now sat on the shelf doing nothing.

Comment

Working...
                                X