Is Steel Battalion worth getting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Steel Battalion worth getting?

I'm in love with mechas and big walking metal things with lots of weapons and now I have a chance to get this game for about 1300 Swedish crowns wich is about 101?.
    Do you think I should get it? It seems like a cool game...on the downside however, I must sacrifice my preorder of Sonic heroes in order to afford it

judgin from recent sonic games sonic heroes will be no loss

u can always make ur money back on it at that price if it's not ur cup of tea so buy buy buy!

Comment

Originally posted by Smeghead
      u can always make ur money back on it at that price if it's not ur cup of tea so buy buy buy!
      Spot on. I got it and didn't like it but at least I have had the experience of a 7,475 button pad and didn't lose any money on it when I passed my copy on.

Comment

Originally posted by Zanzaki
        I must sacrifice my preorder of Sonic heroes in order to afford it
        You do know that Sonic heros is only ?30 on Amazon, don't you?

Comment

Oh yeah, it is defo worth picking up if you're into this kind of thing. It isn't hard to get into and the only initial difficulty is in learning to react well to what is happening on screen using that controller. Pick up a few weapon settings, effectivness and stuff like that and you're sorted...

If you do buy, promise that you'll at least play through the first campaign before throwing it back in the box. So many times I've read about people buying, playing one, maybe two levels and then giving up on it. At least playing the first campaign (which gives a good tutorial for several functions...) will give you a true feeling for the game and let you decide if you want to keep it...

Comment

Yes it is worth it. Steel Battalion is a beautifully crafted game and utterly like no other.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Marklar
              If you do buy, promise that you'll at least play through the first campaign before throwing it back in the box. So many times I've read about people buying, playing one, maybe two levels and then giving up on it. At least playing the first campaign (which gives a good tutorial for several functions...) will give you a true feeling for the game and let you decide if you want to keep it...
              That is me.

Originally bought the US version and tbh i was completely underwhelmed. Sold it on after a couple of weeks and forgot all about the game. Then, on a whim, decided to give it another go and bought the PAL version - haven't looked back and its the ONLY game i've been playing for the last 2-3 weeks (apart from the odd PC demo.)

So, i would say defitnely buy it. If for any reason you don't like you'll have no probs selling it on.

Comment

Originally posted by Cacophanus
                Steel Battalion is a beautifully crafted game and utterly like no other.
                'tis true, and caccy isn't at all bias

Comment

Originally posted by Cacophanus
                  Yes it is worth it. Steel Battalion is a beautifully crafted game and utterly like no other.
                  Apart from the wonky A.I and repetitive levels of course.

It's worth experiencing though, the game itself may not match the gradiose and impressive nature of the control console but they both combine to form a nice, enjoyable package. As others have said, grab it now so you can sell on with no loss of profit.

Comment

Originally posted by Garibaldi Biscuit
                    Apart from the wonky A.I and repetitive levels of course.
                    The AI is much better on the harder difficulty settings (it aint just shot damage a la Legendary on Halo), but the level design does repeat (simply because you have to re-invade the island).

Comment

Is the A.I of your team-mates also improved on later levels? I remember feeling a bit put out when I was really getting into one mission, the whole atmosphere of it, and turned round to see two of my team had become stuck behind buildings that they just continued to walk mindlessly against.

Not sure about the excuse for repetition myself. It's funny you should mention Halo, as that also re-used levels in an excuse of furthering the storyline, whereas in reality it just ended up translating to the player as 'what? I have to do this again?'

It's an enjoyable experience as I said earlier, I just wish they'd spent more time smoothing out the experience before launch.

Comment

The AI is great, right from the start with the exception of your team mates who are ****e all the way through. I get the feeling it is kinda deliberate in the second campaign as you're the commanding officer, but still, there is no excuse for a) attempting to shoot opposing mechs with no line of sight and b) shooting you in the back when you're in the line of fire

Best example of the "AI" is on level 19 where you're air-dropped into the battle. But, the other team AI "stops" after a while while your guys just get in the way (or killed).

edit: Actually, I reckon the third stage with the bridge shows the AI at its best, in the second campaign. The other team members will "spot" the ECM-buildings for you when the wander close by them, giving the enemy position away

But, can't say the enemy AI is bad though, mainly because they don't wander around the levels too much; they're fairly routed to the spot, unless they see ya. Apart from the shooting at you with no line of sight, it's alright (edit: it does this because of the grenades and stuff). This does not increase on the later levels though; they just get tougher and the shots fired move at a more realistic speed. Best example of the opposing forces playing well is the VT battle in the second campaign (21? They keep on coming, groups of m-Vitzh and Scar IIs while you search for the Juggs).

But, I do agree with Caccy about the well crafted nature of the game; it is beautifully realised and executed throughout. The second campaign uses the same levels, but I think only once is a level actually repeated (6+7, IIRC).

Comment

Drop the Sonic Heroes preorder. It's going to be **** anyway.

Comment

Working...
                          X