Peter Molyneux Leaves Lionhead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peter Molyneux Leaves Lionhead

Kotaku seem to be first out of the blocks with this press release, so here you go.

Peter Molyneux, one of the most respected video game developers in the world and one of the top creative minds on the Xbox team, is leaving Microsoft and Lionhead Studios, Kotaku has learned.

Can't see the press release from work so don't know the reasoning...anyway, shame. I know he has his critics but you can't knock his passion for talking about games.

Comment

Eurogamer have a bit more detail about where he's off to next.

Peter Molyneux, creator of Populous, Black & White and Magic Carpet, has left Microsoft and the studio he co-founded, L…

Comment

It'll be interesting to see what he does now he's gone. Unless he was really intergral to Lionheads output it might be a small relief that he's gone too. All too often the games suffered due to him mouthing off too much and over promising. It might be nice to switch to a big reveal when it's ready rather than hearing about unlikely elements years before the release date.

Comment

Is it me, or do you not sound exactly heartbroken, Flabio?

Comment

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
            It'll be interesting to see what he does now he's gone.
            Whatever it is I bet it's really really neat

Comment

This may well be for the best, Peter needs to go back to his roots I think and perhaps Microsoft were restricting him in that respect, not allowing him the creative freedom he needed. Were Lionhead purchased by Microsoft for the sole purpose of developing titles for their home consoles? I realise the Fable games were all ported across, but did you have free reign to create original PC titles if you chose to?

Dungeon Keeper, Theme Park, Populous, Black and White - all absolute blinders and despite the fact that I've enjoyed the Fable games, they've all missed the spark which made the afformentioned PC games special.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
                Is it me, or do you not sound exactly heartbroken, Flabio?
                I'm not really sure what to think at the moment to be honest.

Comment

A lot of hate spouted in some comments on other sites. All based on Peter's ability to under-deliver on his ideals. I guess, also, coming from people who know nothing of the the awesomeness that was Populous, Powermonger (might be on my own with this one, not sure) Syndicate, dungeon keeper, Theme park.

Comment

Mr smoke and mirrors leaves. I always said Milo wad his usual guff but hoped that he would deliver. I expect the usual amazing guy does great work, sells out to corporate, feels stifled, moves. Same happened with him at Bullfrog. I will never ever knock this guy for his talent, but I do get sick of him overselling his products with a lot of false promises. I just want him to get back to his roots and do what he's best at, making great I guess indie games but finally leave the politics and pr stuff alone. Loved his earlier work, populous up to I guess Black and White 1. Fable never grabbed me and the movies was dire. Give us a new Dungeon keeper please or proper populous back remade with the ikkle sword guy fighting one v one. Best move I think he could be doing tbh

Comment

Dungeon Keeper and Populous both belong to EA.

Comment

Im still waiting for my acorns that grow into trees in fable , so thats not going to happen now???

Comment

Yes FSW, but those where all the glory days, id say hes had limitied success with Lionhead and M$, its a joke really hes leaving M$ as how much he goes on about them blah, blah, blah, flawed genius id say.

Comment

I do hope he's not moving on to develop casual/mobile games, simply because you never seem to hear about people again once they go down that route.

Comment

Microsoft have lost a great talent there, I know people like to be down on his evil purposeful sales hype tactics, but I always thought he was just a very very passionate about his job.

I'll be watching his next project with baited breath.

Comment

Working...
                              X