No announcement yet.

Kickstarter thread and what would you like to see kickstarted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ur-Quan Masters 2 (aka: the real Star Control 3)

It doesn't exist. But I'd like to see it happen. With direct involvement from everyone who worked on the original SC2, at Toys for Bob.

I bet that would get a ton of money on KS.

Comment

Well, your wish has been granted!

Someone who works for Stardock (the new owners of the Star Control trademark) said the following over at GOG's forum.

Atari has the trademark for Star Control (obviously a key component) and the (c) for Star Control 3.

But Paul Reiche owns the (c) for Star Control 1/2. You couldn't do a HD version of Star Control 1/2 without his permission.

In terms of the game universe itself, we wouldn't (I work at Stardock) want to do anything that would be considered "canon" without Paul Reiche's blessing and, ideally, involvement.

None of this will affect Star Control on GOG except where checks get sent to. Stardock is already a GOG partner.

But there will be a new Star Control game with Star Control 2 serving as a major source of inspiration. That's about all I can say at this time.
      Link to his post.

Comment

ASK AND DEUTEROS DELIVERS!

Comment

We used to play Star Control II loads at university. Everybody had their favourite ship and would get to sing along with their victory tune when they won!

Comment

QC, I didn't know you were a SCII fan. That deserves a sparkly sticker or something.

Favourite ship? Mine was the Thraddash Torch. You'd be running away, igniting the firestream, and poor players would fly straight along it burning up.

Also, it could outrun most homing projectiles. Ace.

Comment

I quite liked the little, agile flying saucer. Also the massive one that farted little ships out was hard to beat.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
                ASK AND DEUTEROS DELIVERS!
                Bah, easy. NEXT!

I never played Star Control II... I did play the first one and it was awesome, though.

In other Kickstarter-related news:

Space Shock was cancelled, which is a shame as it showed much promise.

Project Phoenix seems to have a lot of people excited for. I think it's mostly due to Nobuo Uematsu's involvement, but there's certainly some talent in the team behind it.

Not strictly Kickstarter related:

Ithaka of the Clouds, which was funded on Indiegogo some months ago, has me interested. It'll certainly involve a lot of reading, but I'm fine with that on occasion. I'll try out the author's previous work, The Sea Will Claim Everything, one of these days. Right after I try to get Ceremony of Innocence, which I got a copy of a few years ago, running on a modern computer and OS. I'm being very liberal with my use of the term modern, by the way.

I had created a thread for it on Headlines but the forum's recent meltdown wiped away all traces of its previous existence... Neil Gaiman and The Odd Gentlemen are teaming up to create a game called Wayward Manor. By all accounts, reports of Tori Amos' involvement have been greatly exaggerated.

Finally, let me bring Sir, You Are Being Hunted to your attention. Besides the great choice of name, the creators claim that "british indie S.T.A.L.K.E.R. might have been something we said in the design meetings". Instabacklogged, I say!

Comment

I don't think this has been mentioned, but I think this would nice on any of our coffee tables:

Every Day is Play. A Celebration of the Video Game.

Comment

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...9?ref=category i expect the funding for this game will go through the roof new game from the creator of megaman (and the game looks rather familiar)

Comment

Fantastic. Japanese devs have seen the light that is Kickstarter.

The revolution starts here.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

If this means a slew of old school style Japanese 2D games start coming I would actually get excited about this kickstarter thing.

Comment

It would mean projects actually get followed through unlike the Schafer fiasco.

Comment

I like it, because we might see an exodus of talent from the restrictive clutches of established developers/publishers, and the sudden resurgence of wild creativity. Most of it is for PC as well. To heck with consoles this next generation. The future is one of boundless freedom and optimism!

It's like I've always said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with Japan's creativity. They just need to let their talent run wild a bit to create something amazing.

No rules, no regional lockout or restrictions, no focus groups, no publisher restrictions.

JUST BARE NAKED FREEDOM! FROLIC AMIDST THE FIELDS!

Comment

So a director of Megaman starts a kickstarter for a new game, he's gets some of the original megaman team.
                                With this team they are free from the shackles of capcom and free to make a megaman clone??
                                That's true Japanese creativity right there.

Seriously he should have just called the game Megason/Rockchild and be done with it.
                                Will laugh my arse off when capcom hire WayForward to make a megaman game.
                                Last edited by Family Fry; 01-09-2013, 11:58.

Comment

Working...
                                X