No announcement yet.

Shadowrun Returns (Kickstarter)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worth mentioning that the people who backed the game at Kickstarter get the Berlin Campaign for free!

Comment

Also worth point out that the DRM Free version won't receive any future DLC/Community Created content.

While this version will include the Seattle story (and Berlin, via a one-time update), without Steam integration, it will be unable to browse and play community-created stories from within the game. Any future DLC will only be available through Steam.
      Least everyone who pre-ordered gets a Steam key but the DRM Free army are rightfully outraged.

Comment

Harebrained clears matters regarding the DRM-free version and Steam:

To reiterate, our Backers don’t have to choose a DRM-free version of the game or a Steam version of the game. You get both.

Backers who want a DRM-free experience with Shadowrun Returns (on Windows, OSX, and Linux) are getting the game, editor and all, and will be able to transfer community-created story files and update executables manually. (It works just like a non-Steam version of Skyrim: you can install mods manually or via a 3rd-party tool such as Nexus.)

The DRM-free version will not require any internet connection or any form of online authorization to play. In addition, Backers who like the convenience and reliability of Steam and who want automatic updates, easy-to-browse content, and a DLC store are getting them.

We said that post-Berlin Campaign DLC would only be available on Steam but we never said why. We regret the omission. The reason is that our license to develop Shadowrun Returns actually requires that the game and its DLC be distributed under DRM. This didn’t come up earlier because the situation was complicated by the number of parties involved in the license and because the process was “ongoing”. Ultimately, we were able to successfully negotiate an exception with Microsoft for us to provide our Backers with a DRM-free version of the Kickstarter rewards (specifically the game and the Berlin Campaign) but that exception does not extend to non-reward DLC. So unfortunately, we cannot sell or give away DRM-free versions of the game or DLC on stores like GoG, and that’s why any future Shadowrun Returns DLC will only be available for purchase on Steam.

We will be updating/bugfixing the DRM-free versions (Windows, OSX, and Linux) of Shadowrun Returns, maintaining them along with the Steam versions. These updates will require Backers to re-download the game from the Harebrained Account Website, since it will not include auto-patching functionality.

Comment

Oh well that's cleared that up.

So I can enjoy all future Shadowrun Returns DLC coming to the DRM free version?
          What's this, I can't?
          Wonder how all the people feel who funded the DRM free version?
          Well they ain't getting refunds anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
            Wonder how all the people feel who funded the DRM free version?
            Let's face it, there are some people who'll never be happy, no matter what. Kickstarter is a donation with no guarantee of the end result.

I don't know if they ever promised that everything regarding the game will be 100% DRM-free forever. Did they?

Comment

They used the words DRM free (which in all fairness people are getting with a copy of the game) just a bit sour if the company release a new story based DLC, people who funded the game can't have it because they dont support Steam and DRM.

Comment

Well, I personally don't like having to start using Steam either to enjoy the game to the fullest, but sounds like it'll be the easier option with automatic patching etc.

Is it possible to play Steam games offline without being connected to Steam? If it is, I don't think the DRM should be a problem.

Comment

Official release date has been set to 25th July.

Comment

It's looking pretty decent, hope the gameplay holds up as it's pretty different to the SNES game. Some people have early access to the editor and early stuff looks promising. A 100+ hour community made campaign, a recreation of the original SNES game etc.

Comment

Damn, that all sounds pretty ******* sweet.

Comment

Release of Shadowrun Returns is only 7 days away, people! Backers (myself included) should have received their Steam keys by email.

Which reminds me that I need a new computer to enjoy the game...

Anyway, launch trailer:

So, if you're not a backer, go buy it!

Comment

Good review of the game by GameTrailers. Nails down the pros and cons of the game.

Also, the Berlin campaign is aimed to be out this October, so that's cool (I get it free as a backer so yay!). Hopefully Shadowrun will have a bright future ahead.

Comment

Berlin campaign for Shadowrun Returns, named Dragonfall, will be out in January for $14.99 (free for backers ). It's supposed to be a more open experience, although I didn't really have a problem with the linearity of the first campaign to begin with.

Comment

Release date for Dragonfall has now been set to 27th of February.

Here's a short trailer for the new expansion campaign!

I really enjoyed Shadowrun Returns for what it was and I'm certainly looking forward to this new part of the game. I'm optimistic that they have learned what worked and didn't work for the original game and am expecting an even better experience with this.

Comment

The second official campaign, Dragonfall, is out later today, so heads-up chummers and get your nuyen ready if you haven't yet! I'm off to a shuttle for Berlin! Auf wiedersehen!

Comment

Working...
                                X