Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nintendo says most 3DS and Wii U games will now also be available digitally at launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nintendo says most 3DS and Wii U games will now also be available digitally at launch

Originally posted by Nintendo press release
    Nintendo is aiming to significantly expand its digital business. In August, New Super Mario Bros. 2 for the Nintendo 3DS system will launch both as a packaged game at retail stores and as a digital download in the Nintendo eShop. The majority of Nintendo-published Nintendo 3DS games will have the same dual-distribution strategy. Likewise, the majority of Nintendo-published Wii U games will be available both as packaged products and as digital downloads starting on launch day.

These downloadable games will also be available for purchase at participating retail stores and on retailers' websites. Our customers can visit retail outlets or their online shopping sites, look for the products they want and pay for the product there. The retailers will then provide shoppers with a 16-digit code that can be exchanged in the Nintendo eShop for the game. This will give shoppers more options to find and purchase their favorite games.
    No change to single unit lock though for the 3DS. Hopefully the Wii U will come with some sort of account setup though.

It's funny how this was announced mere days after Microsoft gave their excuse regarding why Games on Demand releases are always released 6 months later than the retail versions.

The lack of personal account system probably ensures that I never use this with the 3DS though. It's not so bad if you lose a couple of throwaway retro games when your console dies, but losing full price titles and having to rely on Nintendo to get them back isn't a position I want to end up in.

The WiiU is already confirmed to use an account system though, thankfully.

Comment

I must have missed that bit of info. Cheers dude.

Comment

I expect to see Nintendo adopt an account system for 3DS soon though, surely.

Comment

Wait for microsoft to backpeddle...

Comment

I'll be sticking with a boxed copy - I'm not comfortable with moving to digital only yet.

Comment

As per previous discussion, I'm happy with this, but I will be a little more selective about what I buy.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
                It's funny how this was announced mere days after Microsoft gave their excuse regarding why Games on Demand releases are always released 6 months later than the retail versions.
                What was Microsoft's excuse?

Comment

They just said that some people are happy to pay full price for digital 6 months later, so it's a valid model blah etc.

Comment

Working...
                  X